The Car Thread

MadManMike

Fock a dock! I've used black hole before, thought it was alrigt but wasn't as great as everyone said it was. Put it back in the shed and forgot about it. Went back to it today, about a year later. f**k me it's amazing?! The consistency has thickened right up and it is a beautiful product to work with, what's that all about? Duff bottle and too much water maybe?

Yeah I managed to get some on my head, took a week to come off.

Get the 'starter pack' with the other two jobbers in it (marine clean and something prep, I think), and if you need more paint get the tiny pots - once opened they go off pretty quick and the lids have a habit of sticking themselves down (even if you use plastic as a 'seal' like they recommend).

It's tough stuff though - I painted a coat on my trailer straight onto some rust, no preparation or anything (other than a quick wire brush), then attacked it with a screwdriver and it stayed put!

So I tweaked the ride height on the Leon earlier. I had meant to get a decent before/after shot but totally forgot so shall grab one tomorrow perhaps. Sitting much better now, just need to get it onto some properly flat ground to double check things as best possible but it's all within 10mm or so.

Rears around 10mm higher than before on the coil, which is ~15mm higher at the wheel. Adjusters look fairly mashed in the pic but it's just a load of reflected light, honest!

img1391vo.jpg#

Fronts are now around 10mm higher at the wheel, which also puts the adjuster a little further away from the wheel than it was previously. Tyres are a tad too wide for the rims really at 225 on 7j, so as I'll be replacing them soon that'll be rectified too.

img1393ig.jpg

Could do with a little spacing at both ends really, though as I'll be looking into wheels when I have the funds I don't think I'll bother spacing them yet. Little lost in the arches though!
img1400gf.jpg

asking for trouble not greasing the shocks up, :mellow:

They're utterly plastered in it now :P

I'd be changing those tyres right away... Car looks good though!

Yeah, I'm hunting at the mo for replacement rubber. Not quite so bad as they look in that picture, but definitely scraping legal... >_<

What size van can I legally drive?

I'm 28, will have been driving a year when I need the van.

LWB Transit maximum?

3.5 ton gross weights the max on your licence, size doesn't matter, just the weight. I'mpretty sure you canget LWB's under 3500kg, but not all will be.

May have found the cause of my creaking suspension.

I put the car up on axle stands, and kept jacking and lowering the wheel to try and replicate the noise. Turns out the squeaking is coming from the wishbone front bush (its a Superpro polybush).

It seems the sleeve which goes between the two bush halves is shorter than the bushes themselves, when installed in the wishbone. This means that the wishbone is rotating around bush, rather than the bush around the sleeve inside the bush.

I tried to cure it by filing a bit off either side of the wishbone collar, but I still need to take 1mm or so off by the looks of it. The only thing that concerns me slightly is the bushes have a crosshatching inside where the sleeve goes, so I half wonder if I've misunderstood how they work?

Ah yeah, that makes sense! I better pick some more grease up too; they came with "special" grease, but I only had copper grease when I put them back in, so I just lubed them up with some engine oil (I knew they would have to come back out!).

Better get my file out at the weekend then! 1mm might have been a bit of an exagerating, its probably not as much as that to be fair.