The Car Thread

MadManMike

Yeah, funnily enough I won't be buying Jardo's car. That would be almost as gay as this dude

http://youtu.be/7ZobqUJvb9A

I will, however, be buying new shoes for the Leon today, just waiting on confirmation from the seller. Tracking hopefully being done tomorrow assuming all goes ahead (Y)

Edit; All sorted, just need to arrange collection (hopefully this evening)

Through stalking yesterday I may know what these are...

If this is through Facebook images of Jardo looking at BBS setups and looking to shift his, you may or may not be correct ;)

you are the one in a million who has real ones. Which makes you better than them.

At least buy me a drink before you start hitting on me like that...

Yeah I managed to get some on my head, took a week to come off.

Get the 'starter pack' with the other two jobbers in it (marine clean and something prep, I think), and if you need more paint get the tiny pots - once opened they go off pretty quick and the lids have a habit of sticking themselves down (even if you use plastic as a 'seal' like they recommend).

It's tough stuff though - I painted a coat on my trailer straight onto some rust, no preparation or anything (other than a quick wire brush), then attacked it with a screwdriver and it stayed put!

Ive got the starter set and had a play.

• The Marine Clean is pretty much just degreaser so not much to note there.
  • The Metal Ready is supposed to etch the surface if you keep it 'wet' with it but i found it didn't do anything on the relatively rust free surface i tried. Although i find it a bit weird that you rinse it off with water.
  • The paint covers and flows nicely (but smells funny) although it seemed to repel from a few spots on my test piece. I'm guessing either water or left over metal ready left on the surface so will take more care next time.

Ive not looked at it dry yet (painted late last night) so will let you know how the turned out.

Hammerite seems to have got worse recently. You used to have to recoat it within X hours or it reacted but now you can recoat whenever so i guess they changed the formula, probably due to new paint regulations. The new stuff goes on like piss and comes off easy.

3.5 ton gross weights the max on your licence, size doesn't matter, just the weight. I'mpretty sure you canget LWB's under 3500kg, but not all will be.

Ah excellent, a few people have said 3.5 and a few said 7.5 - I think 3.5 is enough anyway :)

They are huge, probably big enough to move house in one load :lol:

Funny you should say that ;)

any electrics tech can help me at all?

basically I replaced my headlamps a while back as one side was cracked, picked up a pair of cheap but in good nick and everything was fine until I tried using the Main beam.

old lamp + existing old loom = all working

new lamp + new loom = 1 side main beam not working

new lamp + old loom that was on car = 1 side main beam not working

checked the obvious and changed the bulb, I may have been unlucky and got another busted bulb whilst swapping everything over... haven't got round to changing that yet.

checked all the fuses they seem ok, is there anything else I should be looking at that I've missed out on?

Steve

Ive got the starter set and had a play.

• The Marine Clean is pretty much just degreaser so not much to note there.

Yeah, but it's non solvent based as far as I know, which is the difference. Did you use it? Mine didn't 'repel' anywhere strangely, went on really evenly!

Ah excellent, a few people have said 3.5 and a few said 7.5 - I think 3.5 is enough anyway :)

Funny you should say that ;)

It's definitely not 7.5t, you need another test for that.

Haha, that's what I thought :P Check the carrying capacity of the vans too - for example the huge Crafter is 2.2t by itself so you can only carry 1.3...

Pretty much exactly 1 year since I picked up the Cupra that is now in the scrap yard.

My insurance policy was going to auto renew on Sunday so I phoned them on Friday and asked about transferring vehicles etc... Last year my insurance was about £530, this year INCLUDING the non-fault crash/write off it was going to be £493 (They gave me this quote including 8 years protected no claims and before they had actually written my car off as a Cat B ). After a quick discussion I found out that if I want to insure a 2004 225bhp LCR it will currently cost me around £495 :P

Still no replacement car found though :(

Haha, that's what I thought :P Check the carrying capacity of the vans too - for example the huge Crafter is 2.2t by itself so you can only carry 1.3...

It should be OK, we don't have loads of stuff (I almost said tons, then realised it was pretty bad). Only big items are one sofa, double bed and some drawers and units. I'm hoping we can get a place with fridge etc already in, really can't be bothered to lug washing machines down and up stairs again!