The Car Thread

MadManMike

My cars off the road atm. I thought it would be a great project.. a year later I've p&p the tbo wasegate, hybrid compressor wheel(gt35e) fmic on back order, 3 core twin pass rad, p&mp intake plenum, race port thrbdy, twin 044 fuel pumps, billet inj rails, apexi avcr & avfc(love tweaking), amemiya ecu, 600 primary 700 sec dry injctrs, braided lines on order, bmc cda fed from naca ducted bonnet, hks bov, ..

sh*t loads of stuff I can't even remember. I'm hoping for 300 - 350 hp. As soon as mech is done I'll be onto the body. Nothing special gonna happen there cuz I ran out of cash!

RX7 FC's are great. Get some pics up.

Just went around to a mates house because he was giving up on him mk1 golf project, and said he had a few bits that could be useful to me. Walked away with a brand new (still boxed etc) steering rack, a couple of new standard engine mounts to replace my way-too-hard poly ones, some aero wipers and a pair of very lightly used eibach ARB's with all the relevant bushes/mounts. The ARB's are 21mm front and 25mm rear. My standard ones are 17mm front and 20mm rear. I'm not 100% if the front one's going to be worth while or not, but I'm keen to get them fitted and see what happens anyway. They were cheap enough that I could very easily sell them on for what I paid.

Paul, I've always been warned that insurance companies hate remote starts, so it might be worth checking with them first.

Edited by RobinJI

hybrid compressor wheel(gt35e) .

sh*t loads of stuff I can't even remember. I'm hoping for 300 - 350 hp. As soon as mech is done I'll be onto the body. Nothing special gonna happen there cuz I ran out of cash!

I don't pretend to know anything about wankle stuff, but are you sure that's right? a GT35 comp wheel is a 600bhp wheel! it must flow about 60lbs of air!

IMG_20130719_095640_zps07b07f54.jpg

Ported thrtlbdy on the right. Half shaft primary, contoured secondary shaft, beveled butterflys, deleted secondary butterflys... more pics to come my bids are on an old SD card so soon as I can I'll post. Ned to edit though(legal reasons:)

Vids (f*kin predicted txt!!!)

IMG_20130719_100201_zpscd7bb09a.jpg

Car is tucked in behind skip atm:( can't take any good pics

IMG_20130719_095744_zpse62c48d6.jpg

Match ported lower intake mnfld with billet rail

IMG_20130719_095654_zps718c997d.jpg

Close up on thrlbdy

IMG_20130719_140921_zpsb5ac1587.jpg

Ported waste gates on tbo, old pic!

Literally FML.

Central locking stopped working on my front passenger door about a year ago, been too lazy to fix it. Recently some scumbags tried to break in and broke the window mech on that door. Decided to replace both parts at the same time to get a fully functioning door again, but:

1) eBay seller #1 sent a REAR door lock.

2) eBay seller #2 sent a TOTALLY DIFFERENT window regulator kit, which seems to be strange lengths.

3) I now have an unsealed door, so if it rains my electrics will get wet again and most likely make my windows and doors randomly open again.

:w00t:

Cheers! I've been on the look out since seeing Robin's on here, and the time has finally come to get one! :) Its just the standard 1.8 carb, but should still shift substantially more than the polo :D

Not the quickest things in the world, but they do drive very nice.

I had a total minter, loved it.

First thing to check when you get it is the rubber carb mount for splits, yet to see an original one which isn't split :)

Good work.

Been playing with the car this morning. Removed the old alarm, some sort of ghetto fan relay system (so the fan stays on 30 seconds after the ignition goes off, I will reinstall that properly later) and a bunch of other random wires that went nowhere.... Got the lock actuators and loom installed now, so the next job is wiring in the receiver, fun times!

The pile of goodness to go on today/this week:

2013-07-21074213_zps1cf5a6ec.jpg

Edited by CurtisRider

That Scirocco looks tidy Crashbangg, I wish mine was less battered visually! The 1.8 carb can be a good laugh, get a weber 32/34 dmtl carb on there if you come across one for sensible money, they help pretty much everything. Mine was a 1.8 carb originally and made 101bhp with just the weber and exhaust, which was more than enough to have fun, especially if you're used to a 1l Polo!

Just been and sorted my clutch fluid reservoir. It was leaking because when I'd fitted it I'd misjudged the clearance to the wiper mechanism, so had to modify it. First time around I cut a section out and epoxied some plastic in the gap to give room, as I figured epoxy's fairly chemical resistant and it'd get me buy for a while. It lasted about 6 months but then the epoxy gave out. So I took it off again and had a go at plastic welding in the modified bit instead of gluing it, which seems to have worked perfectly:

post-4312-0-20978600-1374412146_thumb.jp

I also fitted some Aero wipers the other day. They're 21" instead of the standard 19" that Scirocco ones are, but it had always bugged me that there was clearly room for longer arms, all I had to do was turn the drives side arm around one spline so they sit slightly stagered at the bottom:

post-4312-0-61121700-1374411791_thumb.jp

And a random shot of my car being surprisingly practical:

post-4312-0-57496900-1374411950_thumb.jp

I'm off out to have a go at fitting my Eibach ARB's now, the rear one looks like it might be a pain, but hopefully they'll be worth it!

Oh, also Paul, I did this years ago :P great minds think alike (the crap around it was cleaned off as soon as I noticed it!):

post-4312-0-48900000-1374411852_thumb.jp

Well, after a lot of swearing, hammering and sweating the rear ARB's fitted. The outer brackets are a weird and quite silly design that doesn't really like being removed, let alone re-fitted. They're a band of steel that goes around the axle with the very ends bent around 180deg, then there's a little C shapped bracket that pushes over these returns to pull the end closed and make it a complete loop. Not sure if that makes sense, but I forgot to take a picture!

A comparison of the old and new:

post-4312-0-17141200-1374427366_thumb.jp

And fitted (yes, there's an obscene amount of under-seal on there):

post-4312-0-79396700-1374427424_thumb.jp

Just been for a quick spin to see if it's silly without the matching front one and it's simply awesome. I'll have to see what it's like properly when there's a little less traffic, but initial impressions are brilliant, the turn in's noticeably sharper and there's more traction coming out of bends (in fact the traction seems improved in most situations), so pretty much what you'd expect/hope really! I've got a feeling the front one may end up never being fitted.

One for the 1.8t guys, Mates just done a big turbo upgrade, Complete with bigger injectors, Bigger feul pressure regulator, Manifold etc, It seems too start fine but the idling is all over the place! Anyone know what this could be? Also there is alot of white smoke coming out the rear, Just burning access oil or would the turbo have gone? Bare in mind the car has been sat for around 6 months.

If it's not been mapped to the bigger injectors and 'bigger' (I guess you mean higher?) fuel pressure then it's going to be chucking fuel in like an open tap on idle (and over the rest of the rev-range), which would account for a low/rough idle and lots of white smoke. Hold your hand near the tailpipe for a few seconds with it on idle, my guess is when you take it away it's covered in/smells strongly of fuel. Once he's had it mapped it should all be fine.

Edited by RobinJI

I assume he's given it an Italian tune up to blow the cobwebs away?

Not yet, His turbo went originally so he hasn't been able to drive it for months on end, So it was the first time starting with all this "go fast" stuff on it. But certainly a thing to do (Y)

If it's not been mapped to the bigger injectors and 'bigger' (I guess you mean higher?) fuel pressure then it's going to be chucking fuel in like an open tap on idle (and over the rest of the rev-range), which would account for a low/rough idle and lots of white smoke. Hold your hand near the tailpipe for a few seconds with it on idle, my guess is when you take it away it's covered in/smells strongly of fuel. Once he's had it mapped it should all be fine.

Wicked, Cheers for that! A remap is defiantly on the books! Would changing back too the standard injectors and pressure regulator make it abit more bearable? and drive-able with the bigger turbo etc? (im not sure off all the mods hes done, but a fair few)

Edited by trials owns

Jesus - I assumed that that'd have been covered. What kind of muppet fits higher flowing injectors and pumps a load of extra fuel in without accounting for it then wonders why it's not running as smoothly as it should?! :ermm:

Get on over to R-Tech/Badger5 and get it done properly :P

• Like 1

Yeah, standard pressure reg and injectors should keep it trundling around for now. I'd unplug the N75 too to make sure it's only boosting to actuator at most, but still make sure he doesn't mash the throttle or let it boost much, as the lack of fuel he'll have at high air-flow levels will cause a shit load of heat and lots of molten things if he's doesn't restrain himself. Really it'll need mapping ASAP.

Yeah, standard pressure reg and injectors should keep it trundling around for now. I'd unplug the N75 too to make sure it's only boosting to actuator at most, but still make sure he doesn't mash the throttle or let it boost much, as the lack of fuel he'll have at high air-flow levels will cause a shit load of heat and lots of molten things if he's doesn't restrain himself. Really it'll need mapping ASAP.

Wicked, Thanks for the help