The Car Thread

MadManMike

Well, my chance to help somebody has been ruined by Robin haha.

As Robin said, perfect advice.

If he has upgraded the intake pipe, make sure he uses the original MAF until it is mapped too.

haha, hes had a custom metal intake pipe made, but i will sure tell him! we wacked the standard injectors in just now and seems too idle good again.

Went to Pistonheads' Sunday Service today, was a proper good turn out! Really worth going to if the next one's local to anyone - mad mix of cars. I'll stick some pictures up tomorrow.

Also added 300 miles to the Capri, had a lot of car-thinking time and i'm massively inclined to long off the x-pack conversion (just as i've got all the parts in the garage...) and restore it a bit instead. There's not much major needing doing to bring it right up to scratch bar a re-spray, so i think going all OEM+ on it could be the future. If old Ford prices keep going the way they are this'll cover me a deposit on a house in a few years given good 3.0 S' are going for 10k+ already.

Means more money to go to the good stuff, too! Gonna get new struts on this month which means big brakes, followed by a few other choice bits and pieces. Means i could potentially bring the Cosworth powaaa in a lot sooner than planned, too, and keep the original running gear for when the inevitable man with a beard offers me £40k for it one day.

I'll be back to thinking x-pack tomorrow i'm sure :P

Personally...

I've always thought X-Pack cars look shite, as do many others. So the resale value of an X-Pack replica will be lower for sure and the market will be narrower. But I appreciate how much the car it is based on means to you, and after all it's all yours and it's your project to do with as you please.

It would be much smarter to go down the resto route, it also might be a cool twist on it to build your own Capri rather than a replica? I dunno, I'm pumped for the opportunity you've been given and lets face it whatever you do it's going to be an epic Capri :)

So the car now has remote central locking, and the alarm is nearly all in (just the sensors to plug in now). I also did some other fixes to the car including a new sunroof lever clip, cleaned out the wiper switch, removed the blocks from my seat to lower it and also greased up the rails
Old scraped wing mirror casings with falling apart mirrors (stuck on stuff)
P7200351_zpsab78dbde.jpg
Tidy wing mirrors! And proper glass
P7200353_zps1402956b.jpg
P7200354_zpscfda4825.jpg
Slightly cleaner interior
P7200350_zps252cbe26.jpg
Thermometer screen in radio balance slot (Probe is in the front valance)
P7200345_zps5386b53f.jpg
Radio mess....
P7200340_zpsa92c28b2.jpg
Soldered, heatshrinked and tied up
P7200342_zps7855f1d3.jpg
Still got a million other jobs but it finally feels like the car is coming together now, the little annoying problems are disappearing slowly and it feels better each time

Looking good dude! Glad it went ok. Sorry again I bailed so quickly. I covered the drivers door with sick on the way home. I'd only cleaned it the evening before...which was a touch annoying! Must have looked quite a sight for the driver behind...bleurgh.

I love how all the little, seemingly insignificant, bits all add up to the bigger picture of awesomeness.

I don't really know what it was. Once I'd spewed, I was fine! Must have been food related or something.

I can certainly see the appeal in those older Porsches; the interior might be quite dated, but you still get a nice driving position, and decent feel. With a 1.8t, I bet it would be an awesome machine!

Personally...

I've always thought X-Pack cars look shite, as do many others. So the resale value of an X-Pack replica will be lower for sure and the market will be narrower. But I appreciate how much the car it is based on means to you, and after all it's all yours and it's your project to do with as you please.

It would be much smarter to go down the resto route, it also might be a cool twist on it to build your own Capri rather than a replica? I dunno, I'm pumped for the opportunity you've been given and lets face it whatever you do it's going to be an epic Capri :)

This is what i'm thinking. It's never gonna be dad's one, no matter how cool/ good i could make it. It's so useable at the moment, too - i never realised how wide the x-packs actually come up. Fitted some 8" Revolutions yesterday and it was comical how far they stuck out of the arches. How do I park a car like that in town?!

I'm sorely tempted to just plow my money into the mechanical bits and pieces, really - have it as a tidy S with a bit of a kick. Seen a lot of BOA Capris and none have really been "right", all a bit too boy racer. Wanna make this subtle and nice and awesome. Also really want to bore the 2.9 out to 3.0 so i can answer the "what engine has it got" questions with "it's a 3ltr V6" when the purists start nosing around :P

When's Kylie getting fettled, anyway?

This is what i'm thinking. It's never gonna be dad's one, no matter how cool/ good i could make it. It's so useable at the moment, too - i never realised how wide the x-packs actually come up. Fitted some 8" Revolutions yesterday and it was comical how far they stuck out of the arches. How do I park a car like that in town?!

I'm sorely tempted to just plow my money into the mechanical bits and pieces, really - have it as a tidy S with a bit of a kick. Seen a lot of BOA Capris and none have really been "right", all a bit too boy racer. Wanna make this subtle and nice and awesome. Also really want to bore the 2.9 out to 3.0 so i can answer the "what engine has it got" questions with "it's a 3ltr V6" when the purists start nosing around :P

When's Kylie getting fettled, anyway?

I think that is a much nicer idea; start a legacy of your own.

X pack makes a HUGE width difference, which also makes them hugely impractical.

I'd personally be fitting webers, over boring it to 3L, and trying to find a set of Swaymar 6 port heads. Properly period modifications which will see it around 170/180bhp.

-

Kylie is getting some love over winter when I get back, she's swapped onto my insurance now so I will be using it at the weekends. Dad's got a Pinto, I need to buy the bulkhead and tunnel panels, I need to get a Sierra steering rack, a set of Capri struts, a Type 9 box and a 105e rear axle.

Then give it all to my dad and wait a month haha.

Go to as high as 3.4 on a standard block, if you want.

Older Ford V6's (especially the Essex engine, but Cologne too) have low compression ratios for a number of reasons (low octane fuel, easy starting, less internal stresses), changing to a 3.0 and upping the compression with appropriate pistons (even as high as 11:1, but probably 10:1) will give a pretty sizeable increase in over all performance.

3.0's still rev quite nicely, 3.1's and above become quite lazy and torquey cars to drive because you generally speaking stroke the engine to get that displacement.

As far as I can remember anyway, haven't been into OSF's for a few years now :P

I did have a 3.2 Scimitar GTE back in the day, with a huge downdraft weber, electronic ignition and ported heads. Was a pretty rad bit of kit.

Literally just for the lols, Muel. It's all just ideas at the moment, to be fair i'd just be considerably better off saving that money for the pockets of Top Boss and getting two large turbos bolted onto it.

I really, really like the idea of period mods but holy f**k they're expensive when you could just fit a BOA and have 220bhp for £500 and a bit of effort. The essex is fun for the time being though, i might just fit an LSD and be a hooligan for a while - who knows.

I've got a loosely formed plan of attack in my head now, first up is still new struts/ rear springs and brakes - has to be done this month. Just had £1000 dropped into my pocket so i guess it just all comes down to what's best to go for. Hi-Spec brakes seem to be a good bet, better than pissing about with a Granada set up like some people do!

Really looking forward to seeing the progress on the Pop though, not feel even a little bit guilty about chopping your childhood friend?

Edited by Skoze

Literally just for the lols, Muel. It's all just ideas at the moment, to be fair i'd just be considerably better off saving that money for the pockets of Top Boss and getting two large turbos bolted onto it.

I really, really like the idea of period mods but holy f**k they're expensive when you could just fit a BOA and have 220bhp for £500 and a bit of effort. The essex is fun for the time being though, i might just fit an LSD and be a hooligan for a while - who knows.

I've got a loosely formed plan of attack in my head now, first up is still new struts/ rear springs and brakes - has to be done this month. Just had £1000 dropped into my pocket so i guess it just all comes down to what's best to go for. Hi-Spec brakes seem to be a good bet, better than pissing about with a Granada set up like some people do!

Really looking forward to seeing the progress on the Pop though, not feel even a little bit guilty about chopping your childhood friend?

Tuning up old Ford V6's is so shocking, performance to £ it is just unoly. Pinto's tune up better, but don't sound anywhere near as rewarding.

Have you thought about using Mk3 2.8 Injection Bilstein suspension?

Yep, feeling a bit guilty about chopping up the Pop. It might stay the same and I might just slam it on the deck, not sure. Also not sure if I can do it justice myself, hence dads help.

I would love to turn it into a track toy/hill climb/navigation point to point competitor. But I lack the skills and motivation to do so.

Pintos are cool, would feel like i'd down-graded the car going for anything less that 6 cylinders though :P

Been thinking about Bilsteins, can pick them up pretty cheap and it's not like coilovers ever get adjusted after you fit them, i'm just weighing up whether the apparent improvement in ride is really worth it or if it's just placebo from people who've spent a tonne of cash on an expensive set up.

Deck it! Would look awesome - really looking forward to following the progress on it. Get plenty of pictures!

Cheers, yeah it will be decked either way. That said my dad is very anti-modifying, and likes to do period modifications. My dad wants me to get all Aquaplane tuning kit for it, so a high compression head, upgraded valves, free flow individual manifold (inlet and exhaust are built into one) and a low drag water pump then run it on two Amal GP bike carbs. Which will double it's HP...To 22...

Personally as it's a toy and my baby, I would enjoy doing the period tuning route. And it will be worth a lot more in the long run.

I'd like to do something like this -

m_3990001_29.08.10(iv)%20011.jpg

I'll get some pictures of my dads project when I go home, it's his style though and through.

Early ZA MG Magnette, running a supercharged B series engine with a high lift cam, big valves and dry sump, MGA front discs, MGA back axle and Fiat gearbox. He's fully seam welded the shell and anti tramped the entire suspension setup. :)

Edited by Pashley26

After sitting under a tree for a week the paint had lots of nasty staining, so I gave it a machine polish and added some wax sealer. Fingers crossed it stays white now...
P7210357_zps0127866a.jpg
P7210361_zpsa7e65996.jpg
P7210362_zpsd6c52bec.jpg
I really need a new front valance... this one is terrible! Front panel and headlight covers also need a respray at some point as they are heavily stone chipped and rusting. I also found some spare aero wipers (little bit wider than what I had) so now i my actually be able to see when it rains :P

Looks so smart that 924, I daren't do an insurance quote cause I know I'd want one when its cheaper than I thought and it would be so impractical for me.

Speaking of insurance quotes I just got a ridonculously cheap quote on a vw t4 transporter. Anybody know what to look out for? The one I've been looking at has been dropped 50mm, on Audi alloys, got more ideal tailgate, done 160k (slight offput), 1996 I think. It's within budget. Ill probably go have a look at it soon if I can.

160k is nothing to worry about on them dunc, the old dinosaur of an engine in them is good or ever so long as servicing has been kept regular. A mate of mine has a t5, just remapped and that's on 280k. Plus motors are cheap enough to pick up for them.

Don't think there's much to look out for on them, being a vw I doubt there will be much arch rot like the rest of the van types but I'd still have a good prod about.