The Car Thread

MadManMike

Ordered a heap of parts for the Porsche, and I'm getting to the point where I can start concentrating on the paintwork and getting it nice as the mechanical and electrical problems are pretty much sorted, very tempted to just give it a full respray and be done with it rather than patching in everything.

I've found somebody who will increase the throttle body size from 56mm to 60mm for £60 with a gain of 6hp apparently. Does this sound realistic/worth it? Not going 1.8t for a bit so this is just to increase my already massive grin whilst driving it!

£60 sounds a little bit much for that, but I'm sure it'd increase the fun!

Bye head gasket (parent's car):

88a48638-148f-44b3-8151-85287553046a_zps

Can we have a "worst interior" competition?

7d8f527f-e0ee-422d-a8ed-d00ff01551e1_zps

Yes, that is a bit of carpet (that I sprayed black) above the cd player. :$

The cd player is also held in by blu-tac.

Edited by Pete.M

Come to think of it, you could probably get most of that money back by selling it separately when you're done with that engine, so it's a win win!

Love how this thread has more views and replies than any other current thread on the forum.

Edited by Pete.M

Jardo, unless you've installed water/meth injection and I didn't know, then one of your sensors is being silly. With an air to air intercooler your inlet temperature (pre-injectors) can't be lower than the ambient temperature, the laws of physics say no. Glad the car's going well, it's looking good.

Skoze, depending on budget Yahoo auctions could be a good starting place, the Japanese love their crazy wide wheels, and they're often fairly sensible money as you need serious work to make them fit! Otherwise compomotive do ML's in 15x9, with offset's as low as -23, as well as a few 'classic' designs in silly widths, including stratos wheels in 15x12! (www.willtheyfit.com is great for comparing them to your current size.) Also you can get wider than 205's in a 13", but only track day tyres. Khumo do a 235/45, 225/45 and 215/50 are all out there, just not very common or cheap!

Must admit I haven't put much effort into checking it over since my parents seem pretty set on scrapping it! It runs like a bag of nails anyway.

If you don't have any other HG symptoms then I'd just bet on it being condensation under the cap

This. It can be caused my condensation if it's been used for lots of short journies, or if the engine cant breath properly.

I had it on my Audi. Its a cool showing off feature...but I didn't really use it that often other than that! Although its good in the winter, because it means the car has already warmed up.

I expect it will be a damn sight easier on yours than it was on mine. Took some real head-scratching because of the alarm and the immobiliser! I should think you don't have either on yours?! Is the alarm kit you have one of the Right-Click jobbies?

You can wire it so it won't remote start unless the handbrake is on (easy with standard electrics), and its in neutral (not so easy with standard electrics...need some kind of switch to show its in neutral).

Mine didn't use either, although I always put the handbrake on. I remote-started it a couple of times with it still in gear, but it just stalls itself. You soon learn not to do it once you've watched helplessly as your pride and joy bucks forward, haha!

Yeah i went with right click again, damn good units for the money! And I like flip keys :$ the kit has everything I want with the option of adding extras, can't argue with that!

It doesn't have an immobiliser/alarm as standard (it does have some sort of alarm that I need to remove but it doesn't work) which certainly makes my life easier!Mine has a handbrake switch so that's easy enough to hack into! Neutral switch might be easy enough to sort, need to have a peek underneath and see

I think the other option is to have a remote popping boot, which actually sounds far more tempting as I hate having to use my key every time...I might install a boot pop button in the cabin, got a feeling that would be very handy.

Sounds pretty perfect to do then! If you want a hand or anything, feel free to pop over; I'm about tomorrow morning after a quick private job in the morning...should be home by 11.

I'm free Sunday too (apart from fitting under car neons to one of our apprentice's 1.0 Corsa...hahahaha). I'm doing it first thing Sunday morning at mine, so will be about. I was only going to go the track afterwards if I had nothing else to do.

They are pretty easy to fit though, so you may not even need help! Pretty sure I have a couple of spare solenoids somewhere if you need them. I really enjoyed fitting my Right-Click kit...there's something really satisying about doing it! I'd love to help, although I appreciate its a fair way for you to come...and if you're anything like me, you'll want to be fitting it right now! :P

Well i'm not home til late this evening and i'm at my little nieces birthday thing tomorrow (so that writes off the whole day basically :() so Sunday is basically the only day i'm free anyway! Some help is always good, it's not a hard task (i've fitted 3 kits now btw :P) but it'd be nice to just get it all fitted and over and done with!

Well if you want a hand/fancy a chilling sesh, then let me know...I'm more than happy to help. Although like you say, it doesn't sound like you actually need any assistance!

To keep this relevant...I should be ordering a water/meth injection kit over the next few days. This recent hot weather has absolutely destroyed my car's performance. Intake temperatures are sky high (talking 50+ degrees at least!).

Only just found this thread! Tried to read if from the start but I didn't think id live long enough to get to the end. I'm a classic car restorer and rx7 fc3s owner if any ones interested. Got pics n some vids ect.

I wouldn't bother looking too far back, there are only a few of guys jizzing over A3s :wink:

Get some photos and info up!