The Car Thread

MadManMike

To detract from all this race car/boy racer/classic car nonsense that goes on in here lets get sensible.

Vauxhall Zafira or VW Touran? Got a budget of about £4500 tops and need/want something that holds at least 6 people and isn't stupidly expensive to run (saw a mint Zafira GSi in Autotrader last week but the missus wasn't having any of it :()

My car hates me. The garage phoned up and the parts list ain't cheap (£1100 for all new parts). Back to plan A of 1.8T, just means i need to put up with a poorly car for a bit longer... at least it'll be far superior!

My findings are
1) The distributor vacuum advance is punctured and so is not working at all, this means the ignition timing will be completely out when driving with a much reduced advance figure.
2) The control pressure regulator is stuck firmly on the hot end of its scale and so effectively the car has no choke.
3) The injector spray pattern is terrible, they are badly worn and not possible to clean.
4) The Auxiliary Air Valve is also stuck firmly on hot and is not working, the fast idle part of the choke

Edited by CurtisRider

He won't fit secondhand parts but at least I have areas to work on now.

The prices I have are £142.45 for the AAV (genuine Porsche only), Control pressure Regulator £545.61 genuine Porsche reconditioned exchange or approx £600 new from VW Classic, injectors £167.76 for 4 from Bosch, vacuum advance £126.02 genuine Porsche only as far as I can establish, waiting for a call from Bosch on that one. All include VAT.

The labour for fitting this lot would be around 2 hours so £120. So, to put these four faults right I would estimate £1100 give or take a few £'s.

Every WUR I get seems to be dead, so going refurbed/new then is seemingly best but pricey at about £250 :( I did see that you can do them at home by pressing the steel inserts in and out to adjust pressures so I may try that with one of my spares, not like they are much use anyway.
I found my spare distributor and it has a working vacuum advance so that's handy, at least that is one problem fixed and i'll gain back some power.
I think AAVs are rebuildable kind of, so i'll hack apart one of my spares and see what happens. I find this weird as mine was functioning when I last tested, and fitted the photos online but he reckons it should be opening further.
Injectors can wait until the rest is getting somewhere as it seems they are not as pressing in comparison