The Car Thread

MadManMike

I know your pain with leaks Paul, I've got interior damp down to a level where I think some sort of Pingi style thing would sort it, but last winter I had seriously soggy carpets. Mine was mostly getting in past the rear lights, might be worth a look on yours too.

My next lot of plans for the Scirocco are starting to shape up. I've got a set of S3 uprights and breaks sat here and plans to get them bolted up before the MOT at the start of next month.

In order to get them fitted I need to:

Buy a pair of A3 driveshafts with CV joints.

Buy a pair of A3 lower arms and sleeve the ends of them onto my Scirocco's lower arms, (to extend them to the right length for the driveshafts, and make an A3 ball-joint fit.)

Receive the new S3 hubs I've ordered and drop them off at a local machinist to be re-drilled to 4 stud, then fit them to the uprights with new wheel bearings.

Swap my S3 Disks & caliper carriers with a friends A3 ones as S3 brakes won't fit under my 15" wheels.

Cut a few mounts off my coil-overs so they'll fit into the S3 uprights

Fit the new adjustable solid top-mounts I've ordered so I can get the camber right.

Replace my track rod ends with rose-joints and spend a while shimming them to remove any bump-steer.

Then once that lot's all done I've got to work out how on earth to find an extra 50mm width in each wheel arch!

That lot should level my wishbones out nicely, (improving the camber curve and roll-center) correct the bump steer and gain me a fair bit of caster. It's a lot of effort to correct some geometry, but it'll be really satisfying knowing it's all done right and should make a good improvement to how it drives. Plus it also gives me better brakes with easier upgrade options, tougher CV joints and wheel bearings, extra width without detrimentally big spacers or low offset wheels, and also the ability to fit a 6 speed with off the shelf drive-shafts. Plus, it means I get to have good geometry while still running the car low and wide.

I spoke to my pals at Burton this afternoon about my new engine;
"Those valves are bigger than our full race heads..."
Right...
"Are they red?"
Yes
"well done mate, that's a Swaymar lump"
I then got passed on to their resident Essex expert who got very, very excited/ hated me for the peanuts i've paid for it. Reckons we'll be looking at about 230bhp with the right carb, just need to decide on an appropriate cam. The Group 1 spec one currently fitted would be great, but i'm not sure I can handle life with that on the street...
  • Like 2

I got a few parcels through in the post :D But I forgot to take a pic of the other one, but it's a spoiler!! And the other is a ramair induction kit. Thread on Cliosport showed a guy doing a before run on a RR and after with it on and gaining 10bhp. All for £37?!

15732880471_a05cc11dd8_b.jpg20141107_195942 by dann2707, on Flickr

15734804385_462ce126f0_b.jpg20141107_201200 by dann2707, on Flickr

Had some wine to keep me going after a stupidly long day at work

15549351398_664e8f75ea_b.jpg20141107_201217 by dann2707, on Flickr

Original airbox

15736341462_67ca931ea9_b.jpg20141107_201229 by dann2707, on Flickr

Removed

15732867571_e23997e679_b.jpg20141107_201658 by dann2707, on Flickr

New induction kit in

15736334482_2eea7c9be2_b.jpg20141107_202830 by dann2707, on Flickr

15734787415_e28739f486_b.jpg20141107_202844 by dann2707, on Flickr

I also replaced my centre exhaust hanger as that had snapped.

15114825414_19ccb83772_b.jpg20141107_204745 by dann2707, on Flickr

Block of wood and widowmaker to lift up the exhaust and put in the new hanger

15549947450_e6186388ec_b.jpg20141107_205900 by dann2707, on Flickr

15114808774_568f08de7b_b.jpg20141107_210051 by dann2707, on Flickr

Lovely :D

10bhp, I chuckled. It'll sound better but you'll likely lose some power, the standard induction is good.

Things I learned today:

Mel C (spice girl) is the sister of Paul O'Neill (ex BTCC driver).

My kit car is as fast (or maybe a bit faster) round Anglesey Coastal as Adam Morgan in his BTCC Merc A Class, bizarre!

• Like 1

I know. I don't believe it at all but http://www.cliosport.net/threads/the-fattys-ktec-alternative-induction-setup-that-works-just-as-well-costs-less-than-%C2%A340.761531/

Graphs to prove it but I don't really believe in them as there are so many variables. Sounds epic though and a few others have claimed it feels harder when on cam. Probably just a placebo though.

I spoke to my pals at Burton this afternoon about my new engine;
"Those valves are bigger than our full race heads..."
Right...
"Are they red?"
Yes
"well done mate, that's a Swaymar lump"
I then got passed on to their resident Essex expert who got very, very excited/ hated me for the peanuts i've paid for it. Reckons we'll be looking at about 230bhp with the right carb, just need to decide on an appropriate cam. The Group 1 spec one currently fitted would be great, but i'm not sure I can handle life with that on the street...

Sell it to / swap it with em for big profit?

The standard airbox and filter on my focus st is good for 260bhp+

• Like 1

Unless you have a turbo and an ECU capable of adjusting for increased airflow!

Of course, but the majority of people that go for cone filters and a long arm induction tube don't have the supporting mods to make it work properly. Drink fuel, down on power and all for a bit of an induction bwarp.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? seriously :S

Are you doing RoR in the Westy then Adam? I naturally assumed it'd be in the MX5!

Nah I'm the MX5, but he's been here doing passenger laps. We were timing the other teams so decided to find out what he was doing. Think the Coastal layout suits a nimble car though...

Got the car back, clutch feels amazing, must've been slipping since I'd got the car, feels quicker and proper throws you back in the seat now!

New callipers not so good, he bled the brakes about 5-6 times and it still has double the travel and feels spongy, he thinks master cylinder may be on it's way out?

Car still pulls and sways and feels unstable but polybush's are getting done within the month (he had no stock), geo is good but I know the ride height needs fiddling with, reckon that's it?

Ah well, happy to have it back and driving better but still not 100%