The Car Thread

MadManMike

I remember a picture posted on here ages ago, Was of a seat leon with some tidy alloys, Blue on black if i remember rightly taken near some water? i fell in love with it!

Guilty. Not at the laptop now but will dig it out for you later. If I can get the new one halfway to looking as tidy as the last I'll be pretty happy.

In other news: Mr Seamons - comments on that FB post got somewhat out of hand

Edit: Not sure if this'll work from inside the network here (I can't actually see if there's an image or not internally) but just in case:

901853_10151808524490130_849549841_o_zps

Will try to remember to get a similar shot with the new one at some point!

AMK coded engines don't have SAI ;)

I'm used to the comments on Facebook, there's always somebody on there who thinks they know better! Unfortunately for him it turns out he didn't. Just because you do something as a job, doesn't mean you are always automatically right.

All that kicked off over this one picture (my new alloy radiator, intercooler and oil cooler all squeezed into the front panel...a lot more work than it looks!):

post-482-0-29056700-1418044792_thumb.jpg

Started out life like:

post-482-0-49896800-1418044851_thumb.jpg

Resulting in this :P :

post-482-0-01322400-1418044907_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Ah ideal. In a similar ilk to those comments it turns out that a number of people on assorted forums were speaking shit talking about SAI/AMK then :P

I was going to mention how tidy your modified setup looks, but by then all kinds of shit had hit your newly mounted fans.

I can't help but feel that those 90* bends straight from the FMIC might not be ideal for flow though... :rolleyes:

All that kicked off over this one picture (my new alloy radiator, intercooler and oil cooler all squeezed into the front panel...a lot more work than it looks!):

attachicon.gifIMAG13671.jpg

That looks well tidy!

How strong is the intercooler with only bottom supports holding it? i thought they'd be quite alot of flex, especially with it being that big.

To be fair, once the pipes are on, it doesn't go anywhere. I'm just trying to do it all properly while its in this many bits! You are correct though, the crash bar will support the intercooler, and looks like it will also line up with the oil cooler too (through luck more than judgement! The cooler is solid as it is, but the more fixing points the better I guess :) )

Mine's only been fixed at the bottom for the last 2 years daily driving with no sign of trouble. The bottom mounts are deliberately flexible though, so it's held by the pipework and can move back as forwards with the engine if necessary. That's partly because my intercooler to throttle body pipework's insanely short though, so I didn't trust there to be enough flex in it to account for the engine movement properly.

In other news, turns out by 'bent wishbone' is actually straight, and the cause of the wheel moving backwards in the arch is a massive crack in the section of the shell that the front bush for the lower arm mounts too. :( bad times.

• Like 1

Indeed. I'll no doubt go FMIC down the line but there are loads of other bits to do before that becomes the priority (though given I still have the rarb from old Leon that'll be done soon enough)

Edit: Bit of a "nothing" post so will tag it to the end of this one.

Got to work, LCR still there. Good.

20141208_074312_zps5d2dca50.jpg

At the end of the day it was also there, which is always a bonus.

20141208_162555_zps6d72a29c.jpg

Gave it a run up to temperature - still no apparent leak form the coolant system and no signs of any oil on the floor which is handy.

Pulled off the shitty little "R" badge on the glovebox. Need to get some acetone/similar to remove the residual superglue. Didn't happen to randomly have it in my bag or I'd have done it then and there :rolleyes:

20141208_163033_zps17ecb89f.jpg

Also pulled the tax disc holder from the most retarded position known to man. Was stuck down mega hard, so must have been deliberate... :S

20141208_163112_zps33618376.jpg

Quick clean and it'll look normal again.

New badge has arrived. The rear of the car has been completely debadged; I'm going to try running just this one for now for a fairly minimal look ad see how I like it. May put something a little more on there though as I'm not a big fan of the completely blank look. Going to remove the pair of these that are currently on the wings as they're not in great condition. Will look a little cleaner without.

20141208_163304_zps1ee82dda.jpg

That was about all I could do given I haven't had any parts through yet and haven't had the chance to grab any product to sort out the other niggles (like the car being filthy!) so I headed home. Unfortunately this took considerably longer than usual due to whichever mong thought it'd be a good idea to send a massive lorry down a not-so-massive lane. This is widest part of the road for miles, god knows why they went that way!

20141208_170711_zpsc54cbe8f.jpg

In other news, turns out by 'bent wishbone' is actually straight, and the cause of the wheel moving backwards in the arch is a massive crack in the section of the shell that the front bush for the lower arm mounts too. :( bad times.

Unlucky Robin.

I found which pin on my dash connection is for the ground. Do I just put one of the multi-meter electrodes on the pin and the other on the ground point to check if something in between is bad? I don't know how much resistance I should consider to be unacceptable. In fact I don't know anything about electronics :P

Basically, how do I troubleshoot the ground connection?

Guilty. Not at the laptop now but will dig it out for you later. If I can get the new one halfway to looking as tidy as the last I'll be pretty happy.

In other news: Mr Seamons - comments on that FB post got somewhat out of hand

Edit: Not sure if this'll work from inside the network here (I can't actually see if there's an image or not internally) but just in case:

901853_10151808524490130_849549841_o_zps

Will try to remember to get a similar shot with the new one at some point!

That's the one im thinking of, cheers for the post! if you don't mind me asking, what are them alloys?

Can anyone confirm why these coilovers have around 10 inches of thread that the adjustable cups spin on yet the range of height adjustment is 20mm?

I remember someone asking a question a while back, could have been you Trials owns? about the ratios of how much you adjust the coilover to how much it lowers the car and you got an answer insinuating you were stupid as "adjusting it 5mm drops the car 5mm" or something like that but clearly not?

I've never had coilovers before so not sure.. Anyone confirm ??

Can anyone confirm why these coilovers have around 10 inches of thread that the adjustable cups spin on yet the range of height adjustment is 20mm?

I remember someone asking a question a while back, could have been you Trials owns? about the ratios of how much you adjust the coilover to how much it lowers the car and you got an answer insinuating you were stupid as "adjusting it 5mm drops the car 5mm" or something like that but clearly not?

I've never had coilovers before so not sure.. Anyone confirm ??

where the strut mounts affects travel, so if the strut mounts half way down the arm, 10cm wheel travel will be 5cm spring travel?

wheel%20rate.gif

• Like 1

From my understanding, TUV range is what they recomend and will guarentee for normal day to day driving.

found this on eBay, properly explains best:

All coilovers can be adjusted within the TUV certified range. The adjustable range is larger as stated in the TUV certificate. When a coil over is adjusted outside this range they won't be covered under warranty.

The lowering range stated in the auction isn't the TUV certified range.

I,e, you can lower it 20mm and its still covered under warrenty. Any lower and it wont be covered (Y)

Edited by MartMini