The Car Thread

MadManMike

New jacking point cover and splitter ordered to replace the missing items on the LCR. Need to grab a can of black spray (LO41) for the trim as my old Leon was Black Magic (LC9Z, metallic flake). Same colour as Soph's current Golf so will let me tidy up a few spots on that too which will be handy (Y)

• Like 1

Got a little problem with the ibiza, just wondering if anyone has any suggestions? Basically fuel economy has gone down quite a bit. When I drive to work I used to get 65-70mpg. Now I'm struggling to get over 50

I realise a lot of you will be thinking wish my car did 55!

Car has been decat which I suppose could affect it bit but I'm pretty sure Dan yours was decat and you used to get insane mpg.

Thanks

Could it be the temperature of the air atm mate? Has it been progressive or all of a sudden? I've noticed mine drop by 5mpg the past few weeks but I wouldn't have imagined a 15 mpg drop.

Unfortunately it's been down for a few months. I've just been lazy and not asked anyone about it. I did change fuel filter last week but that didn't fix it either

Brake disc condition...what is acceptable? I need to MOT the Astra soon and they are my only real concern as everything else looks pretty good. My fronts have a bit of grooving but nothing massively deep, they function well and the pads have at least half the material left. The car has sat for 6 months so there is some light pitting but this has been greatly reduced since using the car. I'll try and get photos later. I'm intending on replacing the discs and pads at some point as I like everything to be good on my cars, but if I can leave them until January then that would be thuper

Rears:

B626D84C-5629-4B79-95C9-A468B723CBF8_zps

FDC8EF4C-8CAF-41CB-A9FD-7F97008467FA_zps

Fronts:

A6365FA3-94BF-44B5-8EE6-05DBF6DD7F65_zps

87CDB402-C733-4604-BFAD-E5AB44D7AC2B_zps

You can see on one of the fronts there is a section that has had rusted raised section previously on, I chipped this off when I had the brakes off to do the clutch. There is a slight groove in the pad where this section was hence why it has not cleaned up with use yet. The other brake disc has a groove in the centre, presumably where a stone has been caught

EDIT: The brakes work well, have plenty of bite and the car stops in a straight line, so performance is good (but it's hard to say how close to full potential they are as i've never used one with new discs and pads)

Edited by CurtisRider