The Car Thread

MadManMike

I'm in a bit of a dilemma myself. Next year we are moving to brand new science labs in Huddersfield with work meaning I'm going to be 35 miles each way a day from home. I don't ideally want to be doing 70 miles a day in a car that's pretty bad for motorway driving due to it being a 2.0 petrol. It'll be shit on fuel, adding miles to the car and tyre costs etc. So I'm wondering if it would be worth me buying a clio 1.5 dci for around £700 and using that as a motorway mile muncher getting me 75+mpg rather than the 30 I get. It would leave me having my fun car for the weekend then not putting miles on that. But then again I've got insurance ~£400 a year and tax (£30 a year) extra on the new vehicle. Opinions?

Edited by dann2707

Mines the 1.9CDTI 120bhp (but its a 16v like the 150 just detuned), it's not going to set the world on fire but with a remap I think it would be quite an enjoyable commuting car

is it bad that 120bhp sounds like fun to me :P The astra is meant to be 68bhp, but i think the timing is a bit off so its gutless as f**k!

My golf is 90bhp, and to be honest im over the moon with that!

After my polo got a bum bashing by a bus, I was on the look out for a Honda civic vti ek4. eBay was full of battered over priced pieces of shit, so I went looking around lots of websites, independent dealers and so on and I found one!

Here was my polo 1.4 16V 100bhp

Got a good deal on the civic and its in great condition and pretty much bog standard which is great because i want to do stuff to it overtime, vtec pulls strong, no crunches in gear changes, no rust, doesn't burn loads of oil, no smoke in vtec, low milage. Really pleased with it so much more fun compared to the polo and its quite a lot faster too.

Plans are to:

Lower a little bit on coil overs/springs not sure yet

Buddy club p1 wheels

Recaro seats

Spoonsports exhaust system

Tegiwa intake

Rear lip

Front fogs

Ek9 spoiler.

Thats it for now.

It's clover green that I believe, looks a good buy too! Cleaner than my old Ek4. I've just got my Ek9 on the road too.

Get yourself on Civiclife.net for bits and bobs. There is a lad breaking a clover green Ek with loads of goodies on that would be worth a look at.

Surely the easiest way is just doing the maths? Just do the sums and if the diesel option works out cheaper then go for it, but if not just take the hit on the petrol one.

I'd personally go for whatever your current 2.0 petrol car is now just because I'm a fan of having the extra power available if you need it on the motorway (not to mention it being less hassle than having to go around and find a suitable car, get it all sorted out, etc.).

Is that in relation to your BMW?

What sort of figures would you class as being economical out of interest?

I'd class not driving as economical, personally. I made the choice to drive, so I don't crunch the numbers, I just drive my car and fill it up when it's empty.

However, when we did the little thing here about testing our economy my 5 series averaged less than 10mpg. I don't think the 3 is much 'better' than that, but every time I get out of it I have a smile on my face. For me, that's what a car is all about rather than polishing it (which I also enjoy) or maintaining it (which I struggle to make myself enjoy).

is it bad that 120bhp sounds like fun to me :P The astra is meant to be 68bhp, but i think the timing is a bit off so its gutless as f**k!

My golf is 90bhp, and to be honest im over the moon with that!

My astra (estate boring family car) is the 1.3cdti which I think is 90ps but I've been surprised how drivable it is. As has been said, it's never going to set the world on fire but with the 6 speed 'box even loaded up with four adults bikes and tons of luggage it still has the grunt to make progress fine. I bought it as a quick fix after I crashed my last car a few days before Christmas (oops) and initially thought I'd change it for a 1.7 or 1.9 when I had more time to play with but actually it's been spot on. Get 50mpg from it driving like a bit of a loon and I'm sure it would be good for far more if I tried averaging 70 instead of 85 (mainly dual carriageway and motorway commute).

I'm getting 50MPG cruising at 80 where possible on my commute in the Astra, whereas the Porsche works out as 22ish MPG driving the same way (however I find that difficult and end up hooning it more and it goes down to about 15MPG). I find it weird that I have half a tank of fuel left after a week, usually I'd have put a tank in by now.

Warning car cleaning pics incoming!
Little update today, whilst waiting for my coilovers to arrive, which they still haven't despite someone who ordered them at the same time as me got theirs haha :( I thought i'd give the car a little winter detail.
Started with some Bilt hamber auto clay! This was just after a section of the roof. Pretty shocking to say I only clayed it 3 months ago
Then all clayed :)
Reversed the car and gave it a wash, then dried it inside.
Then applied Prima Amigo by hand along with the natty's paste wax. Applied meg's tyre dressing, auto finesse revive to the plastics and also sealed the wheels with poorbooys wheel sealant. Love that stuff too as it's so easy to remove.
After pics, it was getting dark and i'm definitely no photographer (exotic pictures of my street)! Thanks
For a car that's over ten years old i'm really happy with the paintwork.
Edited by dann2707
  • Like 2