The Car Thread

MadManMike

What's peoples opinions on e30 2 door 3 series'? Got a quote on a 325i that was decent and they appeal to me and aren't in some cases too pricey. I don't care about bodywork cause I can do all that myself. What's the rest of them like?

What's peoples opinions on e30 2 door 3 series'? Got a quote on a 325i that was decent and they appeal to me and aren't in some cases too pricey. I don't care about bodywork cause I can do all that myself. What's the rest of them like?

They're awesome, obviously, but they're popular with misty-eyed pistonheads readers so the prices are pretty high for 20+ year old cars. It looks as though it's pretty easy to get one with potential for a few problems. Plus the interior looks OLD compared to modern cars. As long as you can live with that, and you get the right one, then they're pretty stylish cars for the money. No idea about common problems though. Check out the BMW forum on pistonheads.

God that advert screams "I rag the crap out of this car all the time, and have little mechanical knowledge, and I've probably not mentioned all the issues." No offence if it's someone you know, but that advert really doesn't make me look on it favorably!

That isn't the guy I sold it too, I sold it to a guy called Matt who's into VW's.

Tempted to ring the guy up, slate the shit out of the car, make note of the fact that the drivers wing has been resprayed with a rattle can, the CD changer doesn't work, the DIS is all broken, the exhaust manifold is cracked, the turbo screams like a baby, the exhaust is held together with paste and zipties, the backbox needs another mount because it always hangs sideways, the doors don't shut because the latches are beent, the sills are all beaten in from being jacked up wrong, it's 20K overdue a cambelt, it's NOT 240bhp and that it's been keyed all over and nobody in their right mind is going to buy it for what he wants if he advertises it honestly...So does he want to swap it for my BM lol.

Just spoke to the guy that I sold it too, he says he sold it about 3 weeks ago because loads of problems came up with it and it basically decided to do it's way over due toys out the pram, wouldn't start, wouldn't start from cold, misfires, over heating, no boost etc.

I'm presuming he just didn't listen to me when I told him that it has good and bad days and you just have to live with it. And not to put his foot down below 3000RPM or it would blow up into tiny pieces.

Edited by Pashley26

That isn't the guy I sold it too, I sold it to a guy called Matt who's into VW's.

Tempted to ring the guy up, slate the shit out of the car, make note of the fact that the drivers wing has been resprayed with a rattle can, the CD changer doesn't work, the DIS is all broken, the exhaust manifold is cracked, the turbo screams like a baby, the exhaust is held together with paste and zipties, the backbox needs another mount because it always hangs sideways, the doors don't shut because the latches are beent, the sills are all beaten in from being jacked up wrong, it's 20K overdue a cambelt, it's NOT 240bhp and that it's been keyed all over

it's not QUITE as bad you make out, but it is a shed!

The Drivers wing was not sprayed with a rattle can, it was done by a body shop in Plymouth, and it's not overdue a cambelt at all, Pierre bought the car on 130k, and had a cambelt and waterpump dont at Phil Davis in Stonehouse some time after he bought it, so that belt has done 40k tops, nowhere near replacement.

Aside from those minor points, you're right, it's a shed!

Also, his ad is wank.

You know what winds me up the most about this car? in the world, ever?

Every f**king for sale advert has said it's got an H&R front ARB, when it doesn't!!!!!! it's eibach. I told plunky this, I told you this, I told Matt the last owner this on ed38, yet still every thundercunt lists it as H&R.

I know, it's pretty f**king annoying.

That wing IS rattle can, if it isn't then JEEESUS it's bad from a gun. I'd never pay for a finish like that, if it was done in a body shop my money on it is still being from a can. I got a better finish on my wheels than that wing has got.

Do you honestly think a body shop would bother dirtying their gun and getting the paint mixed for a £50 wing job?

I think I might get something like this next -

http://www.ebay.co.u...3#ht_2074wt_881

Edited by Pashley26

they did the Wing and the bumper, which was on my car, total cost was £200 and they were down in Lipson I think, forget the place.

I don't remember it being a bad finish at all though, Pierre never had bad paintwork on his cars, and the bumper was well painted.

Stop focusing on what you're getting next too, try and focus on making what you've got less gay :lol:

Thanks guys, glad you like it :) First sprint event tomorrow, raining currently so I'm taking with me a set of rain wheels, slicks and a pair of R1R's. Not sure what to think about the last set, it's kind of not here nor there...

Are slicks road legal in Poland? That would be awesome.

Nope, however I doubt you'd have any problems if you were stopped with slicks on a dry sunny day. You could have a problem if you were pulled over in the rain and would definitely have a problem if you caused an accident. There's a lot of sensible freedom over here which I really like. Kind of like the UK used to be 20-30 years ago or so my dad says.

Alex, don't you dare stop! Your M3 pics are about the only reason I come back to this thread, and to bore you all with crap about my front wheel drive hatch back :P

Cheers! Your posts are all but boring though, really enjoy the lengthy photostories. I can relate to most of the problems or mods you're carrying out :)

I took the advice coming from many people on here and bought some padding. After spending 40 quid on 1m of styrofoam I feel my life is complete. This is the most ridiculous expense ever.

Not sure if it's installed correctly? Should I use zipties or something else?

img5153sc.jpg

Wet set:

img5150r.jpg

Not sure how it will perform, it was excellent in the Touring but this car is both lighter and more powerful so...

Sounds good mate, there surely can't be much more to come from the K20 can there? and I'm sure you'd love having some torque when you get a blower :lol:

You could still get more out of it, proper cam setup, ie stage 2 cams retainers and springs but your looking at 1k just for bits, proper throttle bodies, stroker kits/bore, people have got 300bhp++ fairly easily N/A if you swap the bottom end with a k24 :D but its alot of money!

Hi everybody, i am in need or some car advice. My mums friends has had a little Corsa c 1L 3 cylinder parked in the residents car park by her house for about 18 months. The car was on finance but the people who owned the car ran off in hope that leaving the car behind would save them not having to pay for it. Well my mums friend rang up the finance people and they have offered it to her for 250. The offside door has had a crowbar in the top of it opening it out to about 2-3 inches, and the scummy little kids around that estate have climbed on top of it and jumped leaving a nice big dent in the roof.

Obviously she ( mums friend ) does not have the keys, but she has applied for the log book. The car is in a really good condition apart from the above. I managed to put a pole with a hook through the gap where it had been pulled apart to release the bonnet pull. The engine doesnt look too bad from what I can see ( obviously not a lot but no leaks ect ).

We literally know nothing about the car as we still cannot get inside to see if it has a log book in the gloves box or anything. The mileage is unknown, and whether or not it runs. She remembers the people who used to own it used it as a daily commute to work and that was it. I know that these suffer from cam chain rattle don't they?

So basically... Where do we go from here. How can we get the car open? I have had the inside door handle wide open with a pole, and it still does not open. Will it have a deadlock? Is it worth getting a local locksmith? If the log book is in it, will it be possible to get original keys cut?

Any advice at all will be really appreciated!

Sam