The Car Thread

MadManMike

50 minutes ago, forteh said:

Isn't that the motor that you gently bedded in? Should have thrashed it ;)

It was warmed and then thrashed from there in haha. The bores were on the edge of OE tolerance so it was hit and miss but I should really have had it overbored .2 and got the rings to suit :(

Only recently started using it in any amount. Going to go back on 10w40 first and see how it does. I think 5w30 I used last time after Curby is a little thin for it when it's hot. The joys of an engine which is bordering 20 years old and has been abused by all who have owned it. No idea what mileage is on it or which car it originates from! Haha. 

Edited by SamKidney

10 minutes ago, Danny said:

My B16 was magic and never used any oil.  That had about 120k in it.

Wouldn't surprise me if this has done a ton more, it's a belting engine and goes like stink but I think the bores are just too far gone for the standard size rings I fitted. 

18 minutes ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

Bicycle brake cable?

That could work! Don't suppose you know the average thickenss of the rope do you? This is 1mm and the diameter of the T piece is 3mm, 7mm in length but that could be cut down.

Just need a nipple of the right size, easy enough to make one if you can't buy one.  You would pretty much need a double ended nipple clamp as per this: -

http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk/products/brakes/brakes_home.html

Bit of Ø3mm steel bar, 7mm long, cross drill 1.5mm then drill & tap M2 from one end. Cable goes through the cross drilled hole and socket cap head screw clamps the cable.  Machine from hex bar (so you can get a  load of torque on it) if the clable load is high.

2 hours ago, forteh said:

Just need a nipple of the right size, easy enough to make one if you can't buy one.  You would pretty much need a double ended nipple clamp as per this: -

http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk/products/brakes/brakes_home.html

Bit of Ø3mm steel bar, 7mm long, cross drill 1.5mm then drill & tap M2 from one end. Cable goes through the cross drilled hole and socket cap head screw clamps the cable.  Machine from hex bar (so you can get a  load of torque on it) if the clable load is high.

Not sure i'll have enough room to do that mate

It's tight where i'm wanting to do it!

27466901806_b47b95a969_b.jpg20160606_153833 by dann2707, on Flickr

26893540443_c970c04165_b.jpg20160606_153802 by dann2707, on Flickr

You're extending your gearstick aren't you?  Presuming you're trying to extend the cable for your reverse gear selector ring thingymajig.  Can you not feed the cut end of the cable in loose, fit the new nipple and pull the slack back through?  Is it feasible to have the clamp anchor at the other end?

Failling that, if you know the exact lengths of inner and outer then venhill may be able to make you up a cable to suit with the correct nipples on; might mean sending them the old cable to match up with mind.

Rear bushes on the Astra are looking ropey, so hopefully i'll get the new ones I just ordered fitted up and the handling should improve (not that it seems bad right now). 

For the workshop I got myself another budget rolling cabinet substitute, for £20 i'm not grumbling! A nice thick gauge steel, 75mm castors and ball bearing drawers. The fold up surface is kind of handy, but both bits of surface will be replaced with something fresh, along with a bit of paint on the cabinet and it should be good to go :D it totally fills the back of my Astra (with the seats down).

2016-06-06%2021.11.07_zpslenfbnnc.jpg

2016-06-06%2021.10.56_zpsgxm2fr8b.jpg

I also picked up this SIP trolley for £40, it was new but needed the draw fixing which took about 10mins. It probably wasn't really worth buying at that price but looked handy with the slimmer draws for smaller tools.

2016-06-03%2016.18.59_zpsce1sh0ul.jpg

2016-06-03%2016.20.09_zpsi3iaijlk.jpg

I still need to sort the red one out with wheels and a quick coat of paint, then I can stop worrying about mobile tool carts....

2016-06-03%2016.26.47_zpswv91bkl9.jpg

Car was about to tick over to 120k and I had a couple of hours free this evening for the first time in a while so I went for a bit of a lap around Dartmoor, up to Princetown and back. Used it as a chance to play around with GoPro positioning for future use too, including this one rather sketchy front mount placement. Bit shaky using the long extension, but with an adhesive mount on the lower bumper to firm it up a bit I think it should be pretty decent. Was actually lower and I had to pull it up a bit for fear of running it into the ground and driving over it :P

Anyway, off to bed before an early start so that'll do for words.

IMG_20160607_202241_zpsanicpti9.jpg

IMG_20160607_202314_zpsqpoif3qt.jpg

IMG_20160607_195540_zpsbxdjz5ex.jpg

IMG_20160607_195303_zpstuf4xkqk.jpg

IMG_20160607_202134_zps1edyu4t8.jpg

IMG_20160607_195246_zpsttnpzzda.jpg

Still on the hunt for an engine, best offer so far is £150 for one that has 87k on it but it's in Coventry.

Ideally looking closer to home.

There's a good chance that I'm going to be supercharging it at the same time, as Jimmy is taking the turbo route on his now instead, so has some of the bits I'll need to get the build started!