The Photography Thread

mr ailsbury

i still cant believe how prices have come down over the past couple of years. when i went traveling a few years back. 4gb cards where costing like 25 quid each.

glad i could help.

iv been so lazy with my camera recently, think im getting bored by my limited focal lengths. iv been saving up for something longer and am now torn between a 70-200 f4 l or a second hand sigma 70-200 2.8

anybody have either of these lens?

Playing with a double exposure. The gap in my hand is annoying but can't be bothered to get rid of it.

8687374542_751b2cc19c_b.jpg

Cool stuff! How did you manage to do the double exposure on a Canon (assuming you used the 5D)? Always thought that feature was a Nikon only kind of deal :S

On another note, I bet you never run into a situation where there isnt enough light to handhold, given you have that sensor performance coupled with f/1.4 lenses :o Must be incredible!

Cool stuff! How did you manage to do the double exposure on a Canon (assuming you used the 5D)? Always thought that feature was a Nikon only kind of deal :S

On another note, I bet you never run into a situation where there isnt enough light to handhold, given you have that sensor performance coupled with f/1.4 lenses :o Must be incredible!

Yeah it's a new feature on the Canon, not sure how much control you get on the nikons but you can choose dark, light, & balanced double exposures for different effects with this.

The light thing is going to be amazing at weddings etc, can't wait to be able to focus easily too. It's like magic with my 35mm 1.4, by far my favourite lens. 50mm 1.2 next on the list. :)

Another nice touch for shooting on the go is the limits you can set. I shoot Aperture priority alot knowing when to compensate and when to not, it's faster and works for me. You have to keep an eye on shooter speed etc. With the mkiii you can set a minium shooter speed and it will automatically raise the ISO to stop going below the set speed :)

One element of wedding photography I always struggle with is the big group shouts, when outdoors.

How on earth do you contend with the harsh shadows?

I've taken some of the best shots I've ever taken this weekend, but the group shots are still a let down to be honest.

just look for nice light and use it. I was shooting a wedding and a guy asked me why I wasn't shooting any photos from a certion spot, he thought it would look really nice. I explained that because the light is gash it doesn't matter how nice the background is, every photo would look crap so no point. Waste of time and shots, follow the light.

• 2 weeks later...

Being a non photographer, and only owning a 550d for my weekly video blogs, I've found myself well out of my depth.

I am at the Spanish GP with just a kit lens and a fair distance between me and the cars - obviously I'm finding that focussing at that distance is real hard. Any tips? I'm on f5.6 (as wide as it'll go), 1/4000 and ISO 800. I know I'm not going to get decent shots with the kit I've got, but just a few shots worth bringing it for would be great!

I brought a tripod, but it's not allowed in the track so it's not possible to use it here :(

This is just my opinion, others may take a different approach.

I would go into Shutter-Priority (Tv) mode, and set a slower shutter speed of between 1/100 and 1/320 depending on how fast the cars are going. Then I would use a panning technique, trying to keep the cars in the centre of the frame. The slightly slower shutter speed will introduce a bit of motion to the surroundings, but if you do it right then the car will be sharp, giving the impression of motion. 1/4000 may not portray the speed very well and could make it look like the cars ain't moving :) I'd also put the autofocus into AI-Servo which allows the auto focus to track the cars once you have the shutter button half pressed.

Good luck and post some of the shots if you get some good un's as I'd be interested to see :)

I don't believe there's a digital zoom, which is a shame. I'm shooting RAW tomorrow so I can crop them lots though.

Ill give a higher f number a go as well, as well as a slower shutter speed with panning. Purely from the view of wanting to learn anything I do 'properly' I refuse to move from the M setting though, even if that means they all look shit!

Thanks for all the pointers, I look forward to having something worth posting when I get back!

The glamour shoots are hilariously bad. The trouble is, to lots of people those photos will look really good/they will assume they must be good because the camera looks like a professional one.

'I pride my photographs on naturality, no studios, no lights, no editing, just capturing the moment as it is and creating those forever memories.' .............ha