The Photography Thread

mr ailsbury

Quick one, got a 70-300 lense on a 450d and I want to get some pics of a lancaster bomber flying over shortly. Its pretty sunny out, can anyone recommend some settings suitable? Currently set to sports mode and auto iso.

Quick one, got a 70-300 lense on a 450d and I want to get some pics of a lancaster bomber flying over shortly. Its pretty sunny out, can anyone recommend some settings suitable? Currently set to sports mode and auto iso.

I'm not done a whole lot of aviation photography, but...

have a read, might be some help:

http://www.fast-air.co.uk/aviation-photography-settings/

Reasonably fast shutter

ISO ~200

f/8

Take some test shots before the bomber arrives and adjust from there.

Edit: Oh and post up your results - I'm guessing this is part of the Dambusters anniversary?

Edited by AndrewEH1

Too late, got around 130ish shots as it literally flew overhead. Here's a couple before I properly go through them all

IMG_4446_zps8bead98a.jpg

IMG_4422_zps96d08a84.jpg

IMG_4396_zpsc3714c90.jpg

IMG_4378_zpsa42e01ee.jpg

Bare in mind I am in no way a photographer (yet) and was using my sister in laws camera which I'm not that clued up on.

Gonna pick myself up a 550d or similar Nikon in the next couple of months so I can get some proper practice in.

Fantastic effort, isitafox! Shame I hadn't seen this thread sooner as I could have helped out. What editing software do you use, if any? You can definitely bring out the best in those photos.

There is free software similar to Photoshop called Gimp, (have fun Googling that!) You can get some nice editing done in there with plenty of tutorials available on Youtube etc. Once you get your Mac if you don't fancy spending any money the iPhoto software that comes as part of iLife is fantastic. I do all of my soft editing in iPhoto but anything that needs proper editing I take over to Photoshop or Lightroom.

• Like 1

Had a bit of a play, bearing in mind this was a first effort and I didn't spend too much time on it I think it looks better than the original. Obviously with a bit more research and practice my editing ability will improve so don't be too hard on me!

post-24247-0-96043800-1368799975_thumb.j

I hate that anybody with a camera seems to assume they are a photographer.

Isn't that the same as someone with a bike calling them a cyclist?

I dunno, she doesn't seem to be making any claims and she even states that she has nothing but a camera, pics may be crappy but her customers seem happy enough.

I dunno, she doesn't seem to be making any claims and she even states that she has nothing but a camera, pics may be crappy but her customers seem happy enough.

People shouldn't be paying for that quality of work. If there are just friends and she is doing it for free that's okay.

1) No, anyone who rides a bike is a cyclist. Someone with a camera is not necessarily good enough to charge money for their services. Using your scenario, am I good enough to charge people for demo's at events? No. As a rider I suck.

2) People like her are preying on naive folk, who can't tell the difference between good and bad photos. Not a problem you might think, but she's de-valuing the photographer - sometimes charging only £10 for a portrait session.