Should I Go Over To 24"?

Greetings

I'm getting pretty bored with riding recently. I'm sure changing my bike would help, either to a short low bb stock or perhaps a fairly standard 24" trials bike.

The problem is that I would not like to lose any gap/sidehop/tap ability because that's how I measure my progress - or to be more specific, lack of progress. Having ridden a mod for 5 years and a stock for 6, I know that in my case smaller wheels = smaller moves. If some of you can relate to this point, I'd be interested in what you have to say about 24" bikes. Would probably go with a Because Simple since the bb isn't too high and the wheelbase is fairly short. This in course would probably make it a really fun bike to ride, no? I'm also quite tempted by the Echo.

Having also ridden mod and stock, 24" is definately the way to go if you want to freshen things up.

Its smaller wheels make the bike really nice and flicky, yet are still large enough to roll nicely and allow you to get a whacking tap it there too.

You can tuck in more, with it having the smaller wheels, and just generally feels very easy to ride.

Its quite hard to explain really. Ive certainly progressed more/faster since getting mine.

I'd choose the Echo, purely because I love mine.

The high BB gives the feel of height you get on a stock, coupled with a high stem.

Integrated tensioners and the Spanish BB are nice additions too.

The longish wheelbase doesnt feel bad at all either. Very flicky frame thats easy to ride well.

And with the possibility of Try-All putting a 24" set of tryes into production, things look even better.

That probably makes no sense; Sorry hahaha

Edited by Echo Lite 09
  • Like 1

Nah, it does actually. Just the kind of reply I'm looking for. I had a brief go on a custom 24" Echo that I built for a customer last year and it was fantastic, probably because I specced it to my preferences. Much much nicer than the full builds. However, I didn't ride it long enough to actually find out what riding a 24" bike is really like.

The only reason I'm considering the Echo is because of what you pointed out about the BB. It's going to feel very similar to a +55 stock. Would you say that the 24" is as easy to tap as a 26"? I'm guessing it could be a bit easier to hook, what about frenchies and front wheel moves in general?

I've just got myself an echo 24" and since owning the bike, i have progressed a fair amount, in a week.

Instantly my gap and tap ability was better,

Before owning the 24" i rode mod, i had 8 really good mods, and one Crappy stock, and the Echo is a lot nicer to ride than any of these.

Once the bike it set up right, everything becomes effortless.

Nah, it does actually. Just the kind of reply I'm looking for. I had a brief go on a custom 24" Echo that I built for a customer last year and it was fantastic, probably because I specced it to my preferences. Much much nicer than the full builds. However, I didn't ride it long enough to actually find out what riding a 24" bike is really like.

The only reason I'm considering the Echo is because of what you pointed out about the BB. It's going to feel very similar to a +55 stock. Would you say that the 24" is as easy to tap as a 26"? I'm guessing it could be a bit easier to hook, what about frenchies and front wheel moves in general?

Thats what I like about them. Mods feel too small, so I prefer the feel of stock, but the wheels feel cumbersome.

24" is an ideal compromise. Im finding taps easier than on my 26", and all front wheel moves have become super easy.

They're very easy to hook. I went from not being able to hook vertically at all, to getting one on my 3rd attempt on my second ride on the 24", and continued to do so.

Moves to front, I.e. Gaps to front, up to fronts, even down to fronts feel very, very nice and easy. Very easy to frenchie too.

The key IS that stem and bar combination. Ive yet to try a 150x30* for a length of time, but my 165x30 + Try-All Elites feels really, really nice. Almost all that have had ride on it say its one of the nicest 24"s they've ridden.

Gaps are super easy too. Get a singlewall rim on the rear and the mix of Geo and a bouncy rear end really sends it across the gap.

Sidehops are silly easy too.

They're very nice bikes to ride

Sounds good then. Just need to get some light tyres and I can start building it up. Probably going to go with the Echo, do a double maggie setup and take as many parts as possible from my stock. I've got Bonz carbon bars, they're fairly flat so a 165x30 stem should do? I used to ride a 150x35 stem on my Echo SL and found it really nice, now on a 138x25 due to having a much taller headset. Do you have a pic of your bike?

Also is it possible to get butted spokes for 24" wheels? My stock weighs under 8kg, I won't mind a slightly heavier bike but wouldn't want it to exceed 8.7kg purely from the psychological point of view.

Edited by Greetings

A friend of mine runs a 2.4 Fat Albert, and it seems to grip ridiculously well from the goes I've had on it.

700 grams is pretty nice, too :)

Edit: It's not particularly prone to punctures, either. Only seen him get two or three over about three months.

Edited by aener

Also is it possible to get butted spokes for 24" wheels? My stock weighs under 8kg, I won't mind a slightly heavier bike but wouldn't want it to exceed 8.7kg purely from the psychological point of view.

My mate has a 24" neon bow that weighs under 9kg. Under 8kg for a stock is going pretty darn good.

Sounds good then. Just need to get some light tyres and I can start building it up. Probably going to go with the Echo, do a double maggie setup and take as many parts as possible from my stock. I've got Bonz carbon bars, they're fairly flat so a 165x30 stem should do? I used to ride a 150x35 stem on my Echo SL and found it really nice, now on a 138x25 due to having a much taller headset. Do you have a pic of your bike?

Bonz Bars and a 165x30 should be fine.

Im running a viz rear rim, tr non disc hub and the fronts a pro2 on a Tr. Mine comes in at roughly 8.85kg without any super light components. You could get it sub 8.7 easily. Mines lightish due to its tyres and tubes, and the rear wheel.

Its getting some SL cranks, lighter pedals, non disck front hub and carbon bars at some point so it will be sub 8.7 easily.

Mine as it stands.

post-26276-0-63804800-1349452251_thumb.j

Edited by Echo Lite 09
  • Like 1

I like 24" and ride a pretty highly specced out Echo

http://www.trials-fo...-echo-trial-24/

Only things I dislike about 24" is in my opinion compared to 26" they don't tap very well. Anything above 46-47" I can't tap, just have to hop straight to rear like on a mod. Also tyre choice is currently pretty limited, but hopefully that'll change soon.

post-7131-0-44006300-1349457019_thumb.jp

i prefer my bike (because trial simple) to the echos, they're shorter with a slightly higher bb, i can 360 and bunny hop it (if i pump the tyres up and roll the bars back) while it rides amazing for pure trial too.

They're pretty strong to at 1.8+kg the only downside is the brake mounts are pretty flexy.

Edited by Laurence--Trials

This is a great thread, im getting a 2011 echo trial frame built up at Tarty at the end of the month, and this has answered a good few Q's i had, especially as ive been away from trials for a good while. Cheers :)

You will not be dissapointed with the echo, i ride one and after riding a mod for almost 2 years and i have improved rapidly on the 24"

+1 for the 150x30 stem, i use 10mm of stackers with it and try all carbon bars and it feels great.

• Like 1