Go Karting

Duncy H

So I've had a go at karting and I loved it! Was fairly quick too ;) is there anyway to sort of take it up as a hobby every so often rather than paying 40 odd quid every time for an average amount of time on track?

Everything on the Internet just seems to be more aimed at stag do's or "experience days" which isn't what I'm after. I could probably afford to buy my own semi okish kart if need be.

I guess more what I'm after is something like the karting version of open pit lane track days for cars and a few races here and there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

it's very fun... what would you be looking at? a 125 or something with more umph?

racing is fun, most tracks still charge around the £50 mark though, and thqats if they let you take your kart on the track.

that said, tyres are also £150 a set for slicks soo it's not cheap at all, the best way to cheap go karting is to get a job at a karting centre!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Formula-1-Superkart-Gearbox-Go-Kart-250-125-Rolling-Chassis-Project-cr250-/280990577573?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item416c57f3a5

bare in mind, these things can touch 200mph on a long enough straight... scary stuff.

i've done 125 racing and it's great fun!

Too own your own kart is so expensive!

Maybe look at pro karts as they are slightly more affordable? As rotax need a rebuild every 36 hours pretty much costing around 1k.

Looking at around 2k to get yourself up and going at a guess.

But yeah good luck with this if you have money to burn (Y)

Wow exspensive!

I wouldn't want anything too lairy or expensive like that looks. I guess a 125 would do but I'm not very clued up.

Looking around my local track has arrive and drive endurance races for 1 1/2 hours in teams of two for 57.50 each which doesn't sound too bad. Or 15minute sessions on track £20. Other tracks seem to be a slight bit more.

Is there no such thing as cheap and cheerful in karting?

Best looking out for hire kart championships/events at your local place and getting to meet a few of the regulars, then see what sort of championships happen around your way. Wouldn't jump into buying a kart straight away. I work down at Buckmore Park myself.

PPIK in leeds do a 'Monday Club' you pay £30 to become a member for the year then every monday they have a 2-2.5h team race session for £15. It's usually teams of 4 so you get about half hour driving each but all the people that go are seriously good so its good fun trying to keep up.

Also becoming a proper member gets you other discounts. E.g. 1 hour for £35

Maybe your local place has something similar?

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item416c57f3a5

bare in mind, these things can touch 200mph on a long enough straight... scary stuff.

i've done 125 racing and it's great fun!

200mph with a CR250 engine? Not a chance in hell, they have about 30-50bhp depending on the year! You'd be lucky to reach 100mph.

Edited by Muel

• 7 years later...