Head Injuries

1a2bcio8

Two weeks ago today I had a biking accident that left me with 5 fractures in my skull, one of them pretty bad, a cut that went to the bone and severed my muscles, nerve damage in my face leaving numbness and a chipped tooth. It was all pretty painful and the initial symptoms were what I expected; dizziness, nausea, forgetfulness, etc. However I've started to develop mood problems such as intense irritability and anger toward things that don't really matter. Furthermore, this week I've started to experience intense anxiety and even elevated periods in between. Last night I had a panic attack and I feel another one is imminent. I really preferred the physical pain to these weird inexplicable and irrational changes in mood.

I'm seeing a GP later so I'm not exactly asking for medical advice but I'm after a distraction from myself and hoping maybe someone has experienced this before and therefore has something to say about it.

Thanks in advance.

There was an interview with Mike Aitken (or his family, I can't remember which) where they mentioned he went through mood swings and similar symptoms to what you described when he was recovering from his head injury. Defo worth checking out with your GP though.

Hope you get better soon though dude (Y)

I know it's not the same, but when I had my accident I found I had the same sort of effects. I put it down more to the healing process - it's natural to have mood swings as you learn to deal with your injuries and as your body is expending its resources on repair, perhaps at the expense of rational thought. I actually bought a super posh notepad a couple of days after mine and sat with it for hours and hours every day just writing down pretty much every thought that came into my head. There's more than a few pages in that book that are filled solely with the word f**k, over and over again.

My injuries were no-where near as bad as yours, but I guess I'm hoping it might put your mind at rest a little to know that those thoughts left at the same rate that my face got back to 'normal'.

I know it's not the same, but when I had my accident I found I had the same sort of effects. I put it down more to the healing process - it's natural to have mood swings as you learn to deal with your injuries and as your body is expending its resources on repair, perhaps at the expense of rational thought. I actually bought a super posh notepad a couple of days after mine and sat with it for hours and hours every day just writing down pretty much every thought that came into my head. There's more than a few pages in that book that are filled solely with the word f**k, over and over again.

My injuries were no-where near as bad as yours, but I guess I'm hoping it might put your mind at rest a little to know that those thoughts left at the same rate that my face got back to 'normal'.

This.

When I got hit by a car I was pretty f**ked - I had initial memory loss for around 6 hours form around the accident and still suffer with memory issues today, but otherwise no lasting effects (other than a few scars and the fact I can't wear sunglasses...) :P

Give it time and you'll be amazed how much your body will hook you up with healthcare.

Thanks for the responses. Possibly wish I hadn't of posted that up earlier but I've been going through phases where it feels like I'm losing the plot.

Anyway, the doc has hooked me up with some valium for the time being so I should be avoiding the worst of it all for at least the next week.

I guess so, although my faceplant was with helmet and it didn't do much.

Was it around £70-ish? I remember seeing you wearing it and it seemed to have a good profile (more contoured rather than the whole mushroom head thing a lot of skate-style helmets have). Sort of tempted, but not sure I want to pay that much :P

I paid about £60 but that was because they had a deal on at the time. It's really comfy which was what I was after due to my previous helmet fitting a bit badly. I've destroyed the padding very quickly though but I get an unusually sweaty head. I need to find out about replacing that actually. Aside from the padding I highly recommend them. They also seem far more sturdy than any helmet I've used before.

I stacked it going down a hill when my forks snapped clean off doing a small hop off a curb. I didn't get my hands out and landed on my face knocking myself out. I woke up in a pool of blood, loads of people stood around me and traffic held up for some distance down the road. Not the nicest of experiences.

I paid about £60 but that was because they had a deal on at the time. It's really comfy which was what I was after due to my previous helmet fitting a bit badly. I've destroyed the padding very quickly though but I get an unusually sweaty head. I need to find out about replacing that actually. Aside from the padding I highly recommend them. They also seem far more sturdy than any helmet I've used before.

I stacked it going down a hill when my forks snapped clean off doing a small hop off a curb. I didn't get my hands out and landed on my face knocking myself out. I woke up in a pool of blood, loads of people stood around me and traffic held up for some distance down the road. Not the nicest of experiences.

oh jeez :( get well soon !. what forks were they

Whats more remarkable Ben, is how levelled headed you sound by yours posts for someone who has been through an accident that could have been far worst consquences. How are your motor functions when doing day-today tasks ie; walking, riding?

Edited by Rusevelt

Non-specific neurological symptoms are quite common following head trauma - even without structural abnormality on a CT scan (I presume you had one?). Essentially if you hit your head hard enough there are changes in the brain which won't necessarily show up on scans but can cause problems in the following weeks/months. All I can say is that it's not necessarily unusual and is likely to improve, although this may be a slow process.

I also had a head injury 2 weeks ago through riding,

i felt dizzy, sick, tired and confused,

over the last few days, i keep feeling angry for no reason, and just have an urge to ride my bike.

last night i was awake till 5 o'clock ish cause i felt i have too much energy and just wanted to ride.

Whats more remarkable Ben, is how levelled headed you sound by yours posts for someone who has been through an accident that could have been far worst consquences. How are your motor functions when doing day-today tasks ie; walking, riding?

Hah, cheers. I just make sure to check through what I've written even if it takes a few goes. I have problems with balance that vary from day today. This morning on the way home I was walking like a drunk at certain points. I keep forgetting things and, for instance, ask the same questions over and over. I also forget what I'm discussing mid-conversation. The worst bit at the moment is the anger and anxiety and particularly because they aren't usually problems for me. Not being able to reduce them to events in the outside world makes them seem quite strange. It's pretty frustrating because uni isn't very possible at the moment but I really want to be getting on with it :(

Non-specific neurological symptoms are quite common following head trauma - even without structural abnormality on a CT scan (I presume you had one?). Essentially if you hit your head hard enough there are changes in the brain which won't necessarily show up on scans but can cause problems in the following weeks/months. All I can say is that it's not necessarily unusual and is likely to improve, although this may be a slow process.

I had two CT scans. The second because I was having problems standing up and fell over a few times. I was also really adverse to light, felt sick a lot, etc. They didn't show up anything but they told me my brain has probably been bruised. It sucks that it may take a while. If I have to suspend my studies it would mean I'd have to pay the £9000+ tuition fees next year rather than the £3000 at present. f**king Tory f**kwits. Cheers for the response, Tomm.

• Like 1

Ben, if you stay on the same course/programme and retake/defer a year then you shouldn't be charged £9k fees, that will only be the case if you start afresh.

On top of that you have some pretty strong extenuating circumstances, so get the paperwork sorted and you could probably swing if so that you don't pay anything extra at all (Y)

• Like 1