Should The Burka Be Banned In The Uk?

Gaz96

To be honest Mark I haven't actually decided if I'm going to be going for or against the Burka, I'm going in to a lot of detail to find out info before I make my mind up, but I know I'll be able to write an essay on it either way, thread was to see other people's opinions and why and to see debates just to gather as much knowledge as possible before I make my decision on which route I'm going down

I've never made up my mind about it. On one side I think they should, just because if I saw someone wearing one coming towards me I'd wonder what they're hiding (I know they're not, that's just how I see it) in the same way I'd wonder why someone coming towards me felt the need to wear a balaclava.

But then yea, free country and all but police should be allowed to remove them for precautionary sake.

I've never made up my mind about it. On one side I think they should, just because if I saw someone wearing one coming towards me I'd wonder what they're hiding (I know they're not, that's just how I see it) in the same way I'd wonder why someone coming towards me felt the need to wear a balaclava.

But then yea, free country and all but police should be allowed to remove them for precautionary sake.

And that would be classed then as assault.

If burkas make people feel uneasy then I'd say majority rules, take it off.

I'd imagine that over the course of recent history in the UK, more people in large groups of trials bikes have made people 'feel uneasy' than a woman walking along wearing a burka. More people are going to be against people riding than for it, so by that 'knee-jerk majority opinion rules' logic we should all have our bikes taken off us?

(I know they're not, that's just how I see it)

So even though you know they're not doing anything wrong, you still think that they have to change what they do?

How many times in your life have you been directly effected by someone wearing a burka?

Exactly.

To all the people bleating on about not being able to "just go round wearing a full face helmet" or being asked to not do so, isn't that because you have no reason to? There's a centuries long tradition of wearing burkas and it's clearly because it's linked to a form of religion. As a result, those women have a reason for wearing it. You may not agree with that reason but that doesn't mean shit. I'm pretty sure people don't agree with us riding trials (oh wait, I don't :rolleyes:) and there are laws that we break every time we ride but we still do.

If you're trying to persuade people with your essay people shouldn't be allowed to wear a burka and then relate that to people not being allowed to wear hoodies, you're going down a pretty weak path. Wearing a hoody is synonymous with people causing trouble which is why they're banned/you have to take your hood down when you go in somewhere. Again, what reason would you have to wear it up unless you're trying to conceal your identity? If you're wearing a burka it's clearly for religious reasons rather than being able to go and potentially break any laws. No doubt you could wear it because you wanted to conceal your identity, but if you look at the percentages of people who wear full face helmets or hoodies whilst breaking laws compared to the amount of people wearing burkas, I'd imagine it'd be pretty clear what people generally chose to wear.

People being allowed to wear burkas isn't us "being too soft on religion" - what does it have to do with you? Absolutely nothing. How many people do you even see wearing them on a day to day basis (and I mean in the sense that they're almost fully covering their face rather than the seemingly more common version that still shows the majority of their face)? Even if you do see people wearing them, how many of them are likely to be giving you any reason that they shouldn't be allowed to wear it? You not being able to do certain things because they happen to have criminal connotations doesn't have anything to do with whether someone's allowed to practise their religion in a way they see fit. Instead of having a go at women who choose to cover themselves, why not have a go at the ACTUAL problem which are the dickheads who are making trouble and causing shops to have to implement "No hoodies" rules? Those people are the problem rather than the few Muslim women who are going to be wearing a burka that fully conceals their identity.

Although I do agree with you on some aspects, I completely disagree with you on others. For example, as an atheist I see no reason why I should respect any religion, let alone their practices, especially those of the disrespectful, homophobic, anti feminist types (which is pretty much all of them, right?) Also, you say 'wearing a hoody is synonymous with people causing trouble' and quite frankly that's just stereotyping, by that logic I COULD say (I am definitely not saying btw) that all muslims are terrorists and all trials riders are thugs who disobey property and trespassing laws. I do however get your point, but I fail to see how it equates. (I repeat, I really don't think that!)

I have changed my mind since your post though, quite frankly I don't care if they want to wear them - at the end of the day, as tolerant as this country is; it still creates a sense of 'equality' and for that I am somewhat grateful. 'Who am I to stop them' crossed my mind a few times and I really couldn't justify it, so yeah, let them be really

How many times in your life have you been directly effected by someone wearing a burka?

I'd imagine that over the course of recent history in the UK, more people in large groups of trials bikes have made people 'feel uneasy' than a woman walking along wearing a burka. More people are going to be against people riding than for it, so by that 'knee-jerk majority opinion rules' logic we should all have our bikes taken off us?

So even though you know they're not doing anything wrong, you still think that they have to change what they do?

Points made, now I see the errors in my ways :P

Although I still think they're silly

my only issue is how it can be one rule for one religion and different for others. For example the cases that have been reported many a time of not being aloud to wear a cross on display in work places etc but then to be aloud to wear a full burka? For me that is the main issue. I had muslim friends in collage who actually felt singled out by those sort of stupid rules etc put into place in certain environments. Im not going to lie I do always crack a smile when I see muslims taking group photos with the Burka on.

Edited by mr_malcolm

my only issue is how it can be one rule for one religion and different for others. For example the cases that have been reported many a time of not being aloud to wear a cross on display in work places etc but then to be aloud to wear a full burka? For me that is the main issue. I had muslim friends in collage who actually felt singled out by those sort of stupid rules etc put into place in certain environments. Im not going to lie I do always crack a smile when I see muslims taking group photos with the Burka on.

Tell me, where did you hear this, the Daily Mail or a BNP flyer?

Normally these kind of stories hold no truth, it's been twisted and turned to generate hate.

I'm an atheist, I don't follow religion, I don't acknowledge religion or respect it. However, I do respect your right to follow whatever you want to follow.

I couldn't care less if someone wants to wear a burka, who am I to tell them otherwise? I only care when anyone preaches to me - and I've never met a Muslim who has done that...

I'm trying to keep out of this but the one thing that I do find mental is the likes of people being allowed to wear a Burka for their passport photo (not sure what the UK policy is on that but I know some places allow it) and also a recent case I read about of a primary school teacher who kicked up a fuss because she was asked to remove it.

I've grown up in a time when the only time you see a balaclava it's either an IRA propaganda video or armed robber or whatever. If you're covering your face it's to conceal you identity and at the very heart of it it's sinister. For a school teacher to only show her eyes, that's not only a bit sinister but also conceals a lot about what they're thinking. We get a lot of information from someone's face and to cover it up is wrong when working with kids or whatever.

I'm quite happy to say that I'm religionist or whatever you'd like to call it- I'm an aetheist but I hate the stupidity shown by those who truly believe the drivel spouted by religions. I'm quite happy for them to do what they want so long as it doesn't affect me or my way of life. For sure be a Muslim just don't murder your daughter if she looks at a white boy (or girl for that matter)...

I believe we along with other nations became prosperous because of our religion. I'm not religious but I owe some thanks to my religion as peoples lives revolved revolved around it more than nowadays. But I wouldn't go as far as saying people are stupid for believing such drivel a religion might spit out. It's not particularly their fault, they're just brainwashed. I think it's wrong that a Hindu can ride a motorbike without a helmet just so doesn't have to take his turban off.