Views on gay marriage

showurcolours

What has that got to do with anything though?

Would you want your parents to sleep in yours? Or would you want to share a bed with a same sex couple?

I don't get what the point has to do with it

It's not my view, I was meaning it wasn't necessarily homophobic. A vicar may not personally disagree with same sex relationships but disagrees with marrying them in their church.

And on a personal note id be happy with my parents sleeping with a same sex couple in my bed with me but I don't think it will ever happen.

Yeah that's all good but when you run a business you can't run it in a discriminatory way, hence why he got fined.

You should be able to run it in a discriminatory way though. As a business you should be allowed to refuse service to people who go against your principles. It may not be morally right to do so but I still think people hould have that right in the same way I might want to refuse doing business with a murderer.

Not saying murder is on the same line as homosexuality.

Think you need the judgement of Dan James Cox on this one, given his recent antics, he may be considered an authority on the matter. Seriously now, if you want to do it, just go do it. f**k everybody else, its not upto them, it's all about you. And obviously your husband too :)

If the place are willing to marry them then fair enough. If shouldn't be forced on anyone. Like the B&B owner who wouldn't let the homosexuals stay in the same room in his B&B and got fined thousands..... its his house he can do what he wants with it same with churches and anything else.

That's pretty much against the law though... You can't run business and say, "we don't serve frenchies", so equally you can't refuse to serve homosexuals.

It wasn't just a house, it was a place of business, and discrimination has absolutely no place in business, in my opinion obviously.

• Like 1

I don't see why gays are so desperate to say 'we're married' instead of 'we're in a civil partnership'. I also don't get why they want a Christian ceramony? A lot of the church don't believe in gay marriage so I don't understand why a gay person would want to associate their relationship to that.

From what I understand it is not necessarily the church wedding bit they're after but the ability to be legally married. I detest all things religious with an absolute passion but was quite happy to get married in a civil ceremony to my wife. Made sense in a few ways with no religious undertones. I know marriage is traditionally a religious thing but I guess men and women have been pairing up since the Flintstones so the ability for a same sex couple to be joined in marriage from a legal standpoint makes sense.

In the same way I wouldn't like to tell people 'actually we're in a civil partnership' I can understand why a gay couple want to be able to say they're married.

You can't run business and say, "we don't serve frenchies"

Officially you can. Any business can reserve the right to refuse to serve whoever they want (or don't want). That's not to say they won't get into shit for it in the papers etc. but it is at their discretion I believe.

If they take you to court for it you have to have a bloody good reason to make it stick. Simply saying "I didn't want to serve them because they were gay" won't stand up in front of a jury.

Sure I read in the papers about a woman who got prosecuted for refusing to serve a lad because he looked like a chav.

There's nothing wrong with gay marriage, equal rights for everyone and that, but I'm pretty sure it explicitly says no homosexuality in the Bible, which is what the whole of Christianity is based upon. Essentially it comes down to either disobeying the Bible - in which case, why obey any of it? - Or changing it, in which case, why not change all of it?

The bible is actually very vague on the topic of Homosexuality. Really the only bit about it is in Leviticus 20, the whole "...lying with another man." part. Which does not say that being gay is a sin, but the act of sleeping with another man is. Even then Leviticus was written back when the Jews had just escaped Egyptian rule and they were re-establishing their society as free people not slaves. Most of Leviticus was written for them at the time, such as verses about not eating pork. They had no refrigeration or methods of keeping pork safe to eat so were warned against eating it for its health effects.

Christianity comes down to living "like Christ", Jesus never directly covers the topic of homosexuality, I think somewhere he briefly said something about it but I'm not sure. Jesus came back to change a lot/most of the stuff covered in the Old testament and change all the laws and that.

My thoughts around it is that being gay is like someone being attracted to brunettes or blondes but on a much higher level obviously, not necessarily an "in-built thing". I have no problem with people being gay and I'd never try to stop them from doing something because that is called being a dick.

But I will say that gay sex, as well as any promiscuous sex, can lead to problems like STD's and all that kinda stuff, so its warned against.

That being said, I've never really looked into the topic of it much because I think its not worth it and their is more important things people could be fighting for. As a Christian myself I do not oppose it or support it, I don't really care what happens because in the end we are all judged by the same dude when we die. I just wanted to say that the bible does not directly oppose Homosexuals

Are you sure you're not thinking of Harry Potter?

Haha, I'm pretty sure.

My knowledge of Revelation's isn't as good as it used to be but I know they refer to a 7 headed beast flaying virgins. Crazy stuff, actually from what I remember Revelations is quite possibly the most entertaining bit to the bible.

From what I understand it is not necessarily the church wedding bit they're after but the ability to be legally married. I detest all things religious with an absolute passion but was quite happy to get married in a civil ceremony to my wife. Made sense in a few ways with no religious undertones. I know marriage is traditionally a religious thing but I guess men and women have been pairing up since the Flintstones so the ability for a same sex couple to be joined in marriage from a legal standpoint makes sense.

In the same way I wouldn't like to tell people 'actually we're in a civil partnership' I can understand why a gay couple want to be able to say they're married.

Correct, I would hate to tell people that I'm in a civil partnership and not married all because one group of people who insist everyone is created equal, disagrees with my life choices.

#biggesthypocriteoftheyearaward

Yes, I just hashtagged on TF, sue me

The bible is actually very vague on the topic of Homosexuality. Really the only bit about it is in Leviticus 20, the whole "...lying with another man." part. Which does not say that being gay is a sin, but the act of sleeping with another man is. Even then Leviticus was written back when the Jews had just escaped Egyptian rule and they were re-establishing their society as free people not slaves. Most of Leviticus was written for them at the time, such as verses about not eating pork. They had no refrigeration or methods of keeping pork safe to eat so were warned against eating it for its health effects.

Christianity comes down to living "like Christ", Jesus never directly covers the topic of homosexuality, I think somewhere he briefly said something about it but I'm not sure. Jesus came back to change a lot/most of the stuff covered in the Old testament and change all the laws and that.

My thoughts around it is that being gay is like someone being attracted to brunettes or blondes but on a much higher level obviously, not necessarily an "in-built thing". I have no problem with people being gay and I'd never try to stop them from doing something because that is called being a dick.

But I will say that gay sex, as well as any promiscuous sex, can lead to problems like STD's and all that kinda stuff, so its warned against.

That being said, I've never really looked into the topic of it much because I think its not worth it and their is more important things people could be fighting for. As a Christian myself I do not oppose it or support it, I don't really care what happens because in the end we are all judged by the same dude when we die. I just wanted to say that the bible does not directly oppose Homosexuals

Yeah but the bible also says that wearing a multi blend of fabrics is a sin, working on the sabbeth and a whole host of other trivial things.

Also, the very Church you support says that condoms are a sin and in the words of the late Archbishop; "condoms not only increase the chances of catching aids but are also a sin".

I also highly disagree with your late paragraph. I think it is worth fighting for, also I don't think we live one life to be judged at the very end of it. We are judged by our peers constantly and that's the only thing we can count on. This is splitting hairs though, it's my opinion against yours at the end of the day.

Im sure Mr Cox will have a decent input on this :)

Think you need the judgement of Dan James Cox on this one, given his recent antics, he may be considered an authority on the matter. Seriously now, if you want to do it, just go do it. f**k everybody else, its not upto them, it's all about you. And obviously your husband too :)

Thanks guyssssss haha.

I don't see how a man loving another man is any different to a man loving a woman? It's all relevant. The love is the same, you care for the person with your entire heart so why should some shitty legislation prevent you from being just like everyone else?

I'm totally for it and I've literally just off the phone after an hour phonecall with my girlfriend talking about this very matter! Love getting into stuff deeeeeep.

Happy gaying!

• Like 1

My thoughts around it is that being gay is like someone being attracted to brunettes or blondes but on a much higher level obviously, not necessarily an "in-built thing".

So basically it's something they can get over? Good to know.

On a similar but different note, it's commonly accepted by most sane people that homosexuality is something that is determined at birth, like being transgender or whatever. With that in mind could it be that the likes of paedophiles are also born that way and for some biochemical/physiological reason they are attracted to children in a sexual sense in the same way heterosexuals are attracted to the opposite sex and homosexuals the same sex? Socially and morally unacceptable at present, as was homosexuality in the not too distant past.

f**kinghell, Daves back..

Or would you want to share a bed with a same sex couple?
What gender we talkin'? Personally I don't see the point in marriage, to me it seems like your presenting your relationship to 'god' for approval, then receive a nice certificate and have a booze up. I don't know if gay relations is acceptable in the Christian religion, I doubt it is, so I can understand why the church is hesitant. But on the same side who are the church to deny a couple there wish? Be it male or female coupling.

Marriage is a way of formalising a relationship (and in a way conforming with society I guess) but not necessarily 'in the eyes of Jebus'. Neither my wife or I (or either of our families) are religious but it just seemed to be the right time to become Mr & Mrs (I guess both coming from stable families with both (original) parents etc. can't have hurt). For things like bank accounts, mortgages, pensions, life insurance and all that jazz it just seems to make things easier. Now we've got a son as well again it makes sense I think, while being complete separate from religion.

Following a post by Rich P on Facebook, what are people's views on same sex parents bringing up kids? From a equality point of view I have nothing against it but I do still feel that society isn't at the stage when a kid won't be bullied like crazy when people find out that he/she has two dads/mums. I'm not sure it's fair on the children if it will have a detrimental effect on them having a fair crack at life.

Following a post by Rich P on Facebook, what are people's views on same sex parents bringing up kids? From a equality point of view I have nothing against it but I do still feel that society isn't at the stage when a kid won't be bullied like crazy when people find out that he/she has two dads/mums. I'm not sure it's fair on the children if it will have a detrimental effect on them having a fair crack at life.

I've agreed on everything you've said so far except this.

I grew up without a dad and to be honest, two parents has to be better than one.

Also, yes I would imagine that all sexuality is a genetic predisposition. Probably not too far in the future they may even associate sexuality to certain genes

Things are changing now though, kids are growing up with homosexuality being more 'socially acceptable' than when we were young, therefore as the years progress kids won't care all that much in comparison. We have to teach students about gay rights and how swinging the other way is ok if that is how they feel. I find less students seem to find being gay a bad thing now, with the word gay being used as a derogatory comment but without really realising what they are saying i.e. calling a pencil case gay instead of rubbish, they don't mean it actually has gay tendancies, they just use the word gay as a way of describing something negatively, the real meaning has become detatched for them

It's a hot topic out here right now. I think only 3 states allow gay marriage, and not many more states will recognize that marriage in their own state.

For me it's a big deal for two main reasons. Firstly, as someone who relied on the benefits of marriage to be with the person I wanted to be with, if I was born with a different orientation and I was gay, and was in the same situation I was in and met a guy online, there'd be no way I could get married and I would have unresolved problems in the relationship because of it. I think this is totally unfair and is other people's religious beliefs effecting people's lives, which in this country is totally unconstitutional.

Secondly I have a friend who's gay, but was married and living a straight life when I became friends with him. I can see how social stupidity can effect people's lives first hand.

I've ultimately never heard of one good reason why gay marriage should not be allowed.

Churches should not be forced to marry homosexual people. However it depends on whether they're receiving tax payers money, or tax breaks, if they are then they should be made to be non discriminatory, and if they aren't non discriminatory then they should lose these benefits.