British Soldier Murdered in Machete attack 23/05/2013

Rusevelt

Showing my ignorance (again) but all these 'invasions for oil' theories that knock around, is there actually any truth in it? Is it all now UK and US companies who are exporting the black gold from Iraq? I'm not convinced that's the case... Stealing all their oil certainly hasn't shown up in reducing the cost of bloody petrol/diesel that's for sure...

It almost certainly plays a significant role but I'm unsure it can be completely reduced to it. There's definite evidence that various petroleum countries have tried their best to get their hands on the oil. However, I suspect there's also an interest in creating new markets to profit from. The advent of McDonalds, Starbucks, etc. in Iraq is suggestive. It wouldn't surprise me if an interest in power and domination is also involved.

There's a significant historical pattern of undermining democracies by the West to gain access to oil reserves. The Indonesian president, Sukarno was overthrown by General Sukarno in a coup supported by America and the UK who offered weaponry and logistical support. East Timor was invaded afterwards with over 100 000 killed. They've been oppressed ever since. There were significant reserves in the eastern sea next to these two countries. Indonesia also became a place of slave labour for the West. I think businesses such as Nike and Gap operate from there. None of this has ever really made the news because it didn't allign with the respective government's interests. Check the following also which gives an additional sense of why the Middle East is so resentful toward the West:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_Iranian_coup_d'%C3%A9tat

Petroleum companies are currently being investigated by various governments for manipulating figures over the last how ever many years that dictate the prices it's sold for. Essentially they've lied to profit from us more than they should. There's also evidence they've lied about how much oil exists within the world - underestimating - in order to up the price. These are institutes that literally exist to profit and everything else is secondary. The modern corporation has been called psychopathic for this reason.

• Like 1

Interestingly, I have just seen this on twitter, seems a bit 'shoot first, ask questions later' to me

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22638533#TWEET766153

There is quite a lot of intel that goes into any strike though (I hope). It's not just indiscriminate bombing of unknown villages but directed strikes on what are believed/known(?) to be al qaeda strongholds and training camps etc.

It's not about oil as such but rather the petrol dollar, the US economy rests on it.

This is why Gaddafi fell.

I'm pretty sure it's also about gaining access to oil in the region but, yeah, also this. Various countries in the Middle East have for years made efforts to change the way in which oil is sold. What's the name of the organisation of Middle Eastern countries regarding oil exports? I forget.

I stopped reading after

An ITN report on the killing noted: "A British soldier killed not in war, but at home" - war, presumably for such journalists, being something that can be visited upon others, in their countries, but not here in 'ours'.

as clearly there's a huge bias on the article.

Nowhere in that headline does it state anything about killings occurring in other locations, merely "at war" regardless of where that may be, quite obviously meaning at a point of conflict rather than a location "at peace".

I didn't read the thread, I just wanted to point out how dumb it was that the EDL throws bottles at the police for getting control of this knife-wielding fool. It's intensely frustrating having to share a country or even a planet with people who have such a warped view of respect.

I work with someone in EDL, I saw those rubber bands around his wrist which he tries to keep covered up with his Lance Armstrong one. He said 'I'm not racist or anything y'know, I mean, I've got black friends.' He's a skinhead ..

Being a skinhead doesn't make him racist. There are different types of skinhead. Being a member of the EDL doesn't make him racist either, maybe just misguided.

Yeah i agree, skins back in the day weren't racist and i know a lot of people who still subscribe to the whole mod/ skin life who are decent guys - it's just been adopted by a small group of people and is now seen as something derogatory.

Being a skinhead doesn't make him racist. There are different types of skinhead. Being a member of the EDL doesn't make him racist either, maybe just misguided.

Misguided from what? Take a closer read of my post and you'll notice that I was just making observations of that person. It's you who believes he's a racist ..

Misguided from what? Take a closer read of my post and you'll notice that I was just making observations of that person. It's you who believes he's a racist ..

I think you were implying he was racist and have now back tracked because you have realized you were wrong.

I can't be wrong about facts.

A fact is just a theory with evidence. My theory is that you are full of shit, and that you previously believed him to be a racist just because he's a skinhead. Now behold, some evidence to turn my theory into "fact".

You said "He said 'I'm not racist or anything y'know, I mean, I've got black friends.' He's a skinhead .."

This blatantly shows that you believed that his being a skinhead contradicts his saying "I'm not racist", therefore you believed him to be a racist until somebody pointed out otherwise.

However, the fact he's in the EDL makes him either a f**king scumbag or a f**king idiot, in my opinion.

• Like 1

I don't really care if he's racist or not, I thought he was anyway. And Im not full of shit. I thought I'd just contribute to the EDL chat that's happening in this thread. Your contribution on the other hand ...

So your contribution was that you work with a guy that supports the edl? Thanks for letting us know. From what I've seen of edl suppoerters, and I work with quite a few, they are misguided just like their Islamic counterparts. Neither side will ever bring a solution, they are small minded sheep that do the bidding of a few lunatics. The organisers on both sides rarely get their hands dirty. The government needs to address the conditions which allow these groups to grow and flourish. Personally though I don't know how these people can be changed.

Would be interesting if we had a 'viewed by' app like on facebook to gauge how many of those who actually view a post/comment or link.

http://news.sky.com/story/1096255/woolwich-help-for-heroes-rejects-edl-cash