Warming down after a ride

Blake

Been thinking lately, how is it people can manage to ride so many days in a row consistently?

After a full days ride it f**king kills to do anything the next day because my muscles are always so achey, I've only just turned 17 so it's not like i'm some old geezer either.

However I have been considering if it's due to the fact I never warm down after a ride, I literally just chuck my bike in the garage, have some food and go to bed. Perhaps if I do some exercises before bed or even before food, I would wake up feeling fresh still?

What do you fellow forum-ers recommend? does anyone have any specific warm downs? is there a magic secret to riding multiple days in a row, do I have to take Golden Root?

Cheers

George x

I guess I'm just generally lucky. But I've been riding atleast 6 hours a day from Sunday to this Friday.

And the ride from the bus/train to the house is like 10-15 minutes, which might be my little warm down.

I find that what I eat and how much I sleep affects me quite a lot. And being able to rest good is nice for the muscles. Eating more healthy and wise makes me be able to perform better

Norm routine for me warm up little stretching then out for a few hours

When i get home ive got a foam roller, got it for sore back from work but really works, a good stretch and roll yourself out kinda like a self massage, hot bath

Also compression clothing helps a bit too

Once you get fitter its less maintanence

Ive only started doing this last couple of years getting older but i can move freely for work next day

There is riding and riding. I've met many people always "riding all day" when they were in fact looking at obstacles,

discussing, joking around, drinking, eating, sitting on their bike ... I mean look at the videos: 80% of the riders in the

background are not seen riding.

Counting the time one is engaged on an obstacle with both feet on the bike, I would reckon the average rider does

7 to 10 hours a week. This intensity normally results in constant aches, to which one can get used to with the right

mindset of wanting to fight and build something.

The more you ride, regardless of how tired you feel and achy, the more you will be able to ride.

Eat

Warm up.(stretching & tensing is best for me)

Ride till exhaustion

Warm down (Stretch & Rub muscles)

Eat

Sleep.

Have a day off if you want.

Keep going when achy / still go out if achy, and just do smaller stuff and general riding around, walk, sit down a sec, have a drink. CARRY ON :)

When you're using muscles they develop, even if they are tired and have been used a lot, they still gain the memory and get better stamina as a result of constantly doing the same thing. They also get stronger, it makes lasting longer easier.

I just thought of it like if your an animal hunting, you dont stop hunting because your tired, otherwise youd not eat and be able to hunt...so trials is hunting! And your reward is food when you get home. ("If I do this wall I will get cheeseburgers!")

If u think like that then your probably as mental as me :P

I generally stop riding when I feel my fingers cant grip the bars properly and im physically shaking, then I just dont feel safe.

I think out of a full day out, depending on how far between spots you ride, you only do about 20% actual trials. Not the same for everyone, like if you are at a trials park and not riding around stopping for food etc its probably close to 40%. nobody can trial all day lol... imagine one section that lasted 8 hours or more... nobody would complete it...

Training soreness in any sport is reduced by, try any of them you can:

- eating clean/healthy food regularly

- train shorter (not to exhaustion) and training with regularity

- increase intensity by only 10% per week

- warming up slowly and using dynamic stretches at the start

- staying hydrated (using electrolytes too will help)

- use static stretches after exercise

- removing metabolic waste products from muscles after training, use a foam roller or very cold bath/ ice packs.

• Like 1

Training soreness in any sport is reduced by, try any of them you can:

- eating clean/healthy food regularly

- train shorter (not to exhaustion) and training with regularity

- increase intensity by only 10% per week

- warming up slowly and using dynamic stretches at the start

- staying hydrated (using electrolytes too will help)

- use static stretches after exercise

- removing metabolic waste products from muscles after training, use a foam roller or very cold bath/ ice packs.

Calling it training sounds way too serious, I'm a street rider so I can't see any way to increase intensity by only 10" per week.

The tip with the electrolytes and static stretches will be useful though.

What stretches would be best? What muscles are used most in trials? I assume arms and back muscles as my arms and back are very disproportionate to the rest of my body :P

• Like 1

When i get home ive got a foam roller, got it for sore back from work but really works, a good stretch and roll yourself out kinda like a self massage

rolling out your legs and ass feels beautiful, you don't wake up the next morning with tight muscles and pain.

drink lots of water also, just lots of it and no fizzy stuff

i'l explain more to you when I come round pal

I understand that most of us ride in an irregular way, its harder to quantify your intensity than with a sport like running. But its really just listening to your body, if you ride once a week for an hour now, going to 3 hours four times a week next week will hurt much worse and leave you more prone to injury. So increase you pace slowly, if you want to ride more often shorten your ride or do less at first then build it up and listen to your body.

During you ride do dynamic stretches like swinging and shaking it out, take brakes in between physically demanding tasks , don't just bang out a difficult move like 100 times in a row, rest in between.

If you decide to ride more regularly (a physical stress activity) counter act it with having more physical relaxation in your life, rest more and eat more, stretch more etc...

As for stretches on upper body, stretch anything that is tight, usually it will be forearms hands, chest, front deltoids, lats, triceps. But avoid static/passive stretches before warming up fully as they damage muscle fibres. I can post some dynamic stretches if you let me know what parts of your body are problematic.

What you do depends on what you find hurts now, where are you sore ?

The more you lifestyle is like an athlete, the more your body will perform like an athlete.

There is riding and riding. I've met many people always "riding all day" when they were in fact looking at obstacles,

discussing, joking around, drinking, eating, sitting on their bike ... I mean look at the videos: 80% of the riders in the

background are not seen riding.

Counting the time one is engaged on an obstacle with both feet on the bike, I would reckon the average rider does

7 to 10 hours a week. This intensity normally results in constant aches, to which one can get used to with the right

mindset of wanting to fight and build something.

So true

I'm usually ok after a long ride, although after a comp I'm usually more tired, but that's probably due to the focus and concentration needed. A bath and a good meal after a comp. After a group ride I usually just chill with a beer and some nice food. Don't do anything special and its not done me any harm. And I'm 32 in a few weeks

It's mainly days where I'm trying to push my sidehops due to the awkward stretches and positions I throw myself into.

rolling out your legs and ass feels beautiful, you don't wake up the next morning with tight muscles and pain.

drink lots of water also, just lots of it and no fizzy stuff

i'l explain more to you when I come round pal

You forgot you f**kin donut

I just seem to grab my bike and go ride, Come home leave bike in shed and go to sleep. I normally fell ok the next day sometimes the back of my shoulders fell tight but that's gone by the time i'm out and about :)

Yeah but you're f**kin nuts

small warm up- just a peadl about and move your limbs at joints

dynamic streching

ride 1.5- 2hours not more

strech again but this time static style of streching. (where you hold the postion for say 20 secounds)

eat plenty of protien and carbs as soon as possible 3:1 carbs to protien

eat again in 2 hours if it was a very intense ride if you feel the need