Cutting off side nobbles on tyres.. Why?

SCOTTY___

stops mud clogging tyres up and it can help on natural i think

edit : this is what mark w said on an old thread "it definately does inprove grip off road, it allows more the object to get between the tread and get grip (especially helpful for sidehops). It also helps in mud/lose conditions where a normal tyre might get clogged up."

Edited by trialsiain

then why is not a slick trials tire out there?

I mean less material, less hassle ( "Where should we put the knobbles?") big profit?

My dad always says I should make one as i'm constantly slicking tyres.

It would be wicked if try all ( :( ) made a slick 19" tyre. Would be wicked if monty made one but no comp riders would have one on.

Saying that benito ran slicks for a bit....

tryall did make one a while ago

Stock-only, as far as I'm aware.

No-one'll make one 'cause only about seven people would buy them :P

I slick mine as you get a rounder tyre profile, which is much better for spins, steering manuals, and lowering rolling resistance. Kinda sucks for grip though.

Trying something out starting later in the week which'll hopefully put an end to all that for me... Just hope it doesn't go as badly as I think it might :P

• Like 1

stops mud clogging tyres up and it can help on natural i think

edit : this is what mark w said on an old thread "it definately does inprove grip off road, it allows more the object to get between the tread and get grip (especially helpful for sidehops). It also helps in mud/lose conditions where a normal tyre might get clogged up."

Is that actually a direct quote? I don't remember saying that, and there are a load of spelling/grammatical mistakes in that...

• Like 1

Is that actually a direct quote? I don't remember saying that, and there are a load of spelling/grammatical mistakes in that...

hahah i just looked at it again, oops.

Mark W

Formerly Onzaboymark.

• photo-thumb-91.jpg?_r=0
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 19821 posts
  • County: Lancashire

Posted 19 January 2010 - 17:32

it definately does inprove grip off road, it allows more the object to get between the tread and get grip (especially helpful for sidehops). It also helps in mud/lose conditions where a normal tyre might get clogged up.

Don't knock it till you've tried it

That was Ali, but I agree with what he said I said he said I said he said.

EDIT: Mindf**k, just merged the posts. Gargh.

I've cut all the side nobbles of my der kaiser when it was brand new, 225g was what it took off. Never got a chance to ride it with nobbles so can't comment, but definitely doesn't affect grip. Very bouncy, I'd say it possibly makes it more likely to puncture but I stuck another tube in there and it's fine.

I'd do it again without even thinking twice.

Oh and FamilyBiker that's a profile in the picture of the ice.

I've cut all the side nobbles of my der kaiser when it was brand new, 225g was what it took off. Never got a chance to ride it with nobbles so can't comment, but definitely doesn't affect grip. Very bouncy, I'd say it possibly makes it more likely to puncture but I stuck another tube in there and it's fine.

I'd do it again without even thinking twice.

Oh and FamilyBiker that's a profile in the picture of the ice.

Looks fucjin minging though. How can you say say it's grippier if you didn't ride it before? :P

Every other side nobble or full slick I reckon

• Like 1