Possible to travel the world for free?

Jake.

A few months back I was thinking of travelling to Australia, which I still definitely want to do. But I'm thinking how much better would it be if I could go through all the countries to get there rather than just flying direct which would be more of a holiday really.

But now I'm starting to think how I could actually do it as cheaply as possible, I'm talking little to no money here. Maybe save up to a grand in emergency reserve money. How would you get by? Knocking on strangers doors, asking if they have garden/cleaning jobs you can do to get money etc and maybe if lucky put you up for the night.

Starting to wonder what it would be like to do this, the best way to travel cheaply in my opinion would have to be cycling. I've always wanted to travel by driving but then there's the worry of your car breaking down, running out of fuel, flat tyres, having it stolen, fuel cost, ferrys would be more expensive etc with bikes you can repair them fairly easy unless something like forks snapping or wheels breaking etc but would still be much cheaper and easier to fix than a car and you can use public transport.

Say you've got all that sorted, you're up for a right adventure. What would you take with you? First things on my mind would be to get some good panniers for a bike and to try not have a rucksack if poss because if you're doing a lot of cycling you won't want to have weight on your back. One thing you'll want to take is a tent, just in case you don't manage a house to sleep in. Next thing in my opinion would be to have some small saucepans/silverware powered by a gas bottle so you can cook. Then there's clothes, you'd have to be quite picky with what you take so you don't overload, but then there's the problem with cleaning them. Would you go to a dry cleaners or try find a stream to wash them in? Then just hope nobody steals them while you wait for them to dry when you sleep through the night.

Also how safe would it be to knock on strangers doors who may not even be fluent in English to ask for work, and even if they do let you in how safe would it be to sleep in a strangers house with all you're promising them in return is work? What if you don't even find accommodation to sleep in that night, you have to sleep outside in a tent. Probably in the countryside or maybe on city/town outskirts (setting camp in a town/city would be a pretty bad idea in my opinion so would definitely try to find somewhere a bit remote). Then there's the question of legality, the police might arrest you for camping somewhere you're not allowed but you didn't know.

One major problem for me is that I'm deaf and rely on hearing aids, so I'll take a large stock of hearing aid batteries if I do this. But if i lose them or break them somehow then I won't be able to hear until I get a new pair (to give you an idea of my loss, I wouldn't hear you unless you shouted loudly 15-20cm from my ear). hopefully this wouldn't be an issue.

if I don't find anyone who's willing to go with me I'll probably go solo, would be even more of an adventure.

What are your opinions on this? I'd like to think I'd be able to just pack up and go within a week and just go off round the world. Anyone had experiences they'd like to share?

i plan on doing a mini tour across the uk after uni, i've acquired some panniers and i'll be loaning some camping gear from my girlfriends family, if you want to come with to get a feel for it you're more than welcome.

• Like 1

You know what would I do?

First forget the bike. Yeah it sounds cool, but Australia is a long way from here, I reckon an UK tour would take loads of time and energy with all the stuff

I would get somethink like a VW transporter Mk3, upgrade it and make it reliable and make a room on the back. No worries about a place to sleep, it will be reasonably cheap to run on diesel and it will not be dependant on the quality of it, and it can go several hundred miles per day, and that is a major improvement from several miles of the bike...

anyway if you find a way, let me know :D

Sounds a bit romanticised and optimistic to me. As said, start off small and around a place you're vaguely familiar with. England's not as glamorous but has some cool stuff, and the advantages of what's available to you if you're screwed is a lot better than being somewhere international. Whatever place you're at though getting to stay in a stranger's house is hopeful, although maybe check out Craigslist (carefully) and couch surfers.

Australia's big, has a very different climate and a tonne of things that actively try to kill you.

it sounds like a good idea but id be most worried about staying in strangers houses. you have no idea who they are and for all you know they could be murderers so its pretty risky. I wouldn't rule the bike out either, last year I went to these adventure talks with my dad and one of them was a guy who had cycled around the world. took him just over 2 years so you would have to plan to be away for a long time. money wise I think realistically you would need a fair bit to be able to get through the trip :/ for food you could buy loads of army ration packs off the internet to get you by for the first few months. panniers will be a good investment too, maybe even a set for the front wheel too? would definitely allow you to carry more stuff. I think it's definitely doable but you will need abit of money aswell :)

I would hitchhike, like these guys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo6Hj9hw96I

I've lost count how many times I watched that series... Looks like a lot of fun!

I been planing on doing something like that just around europe, but I would have to do it alone cause nobody could stand being around me for that long which would probably get boring...

The simplest answer to this would be to tell you to watch any of Alastair Humphrey's videos on youtube - he was a regular guy who didn't want to get a job just yet and decided to cycle around the world. He wasn't a cyclist but just wanted to go on an adventure. He rode up and down 5 continents and gone all the way around the world over 4 years and for under £7,000.

If you look into his journey you'll find a lot of answers!

You know what would I do?

First forget the bike. Yeah it sounds cool, but Australia is a long way from here, I reckon an UK tour would take loads of time and energy with all the stuff

I would get somethink like a VW transporter Mk3, upgrade it and make it reliable and make a room on the back. No worries about a place to sleep, it will be reasonably cheap to run on diesel and it will not be dependant on the quality of it, and it can go several hundred miles per day, and that is a major improvement from several miles of the bike...

anyway if you find a way, let me know :D

I have a caddy, can put a boot on the back pretty easily and have a place to sleep in the back the size of a single bed... Paired with making a shelf I could probably fit stuff in there too. Would definitely take a full selection of tools and a jack lift with me.

Thing is even if you drive how would you get to Australia, also just remembered you would probably need a visa to get into certain countries which would be a pain in the arse.

Driving could be doable if I took a friend and we both managed to find work, say work somewhere for a week, drive as far as you can with the money you earnt maybe 1000 miles if you're lucky. One full tank in the caddy will cost £100 and will get around 1000 miles I think

Sounds a bit romanticised and optimistic to me. As said, start off small and around a place you're vaguely familiar with. England's not as glamorous but has some cool stuff, and the advantages of what's available to you if you're screwed is a lot better than being somewhere international. Whatever place you're at though getting to stay in a stranger's house is hopeful, although maybe check out Craigslist (carefully) and couch surfers.

Australia's big, has a very different climate and a tonne of things that actively try to kill you.

Romanticised? How so? I'm not expecting anything glamorous out of this trip haha, I may not even enjoy it at times. But I'm fairly sure if I get home in one piece then it's a trip well done. Have already pondered couch surfers, I wanted to try keep internet out of this but it may have to be an option.

Australias big? China is even bigger. ;) I'm more worried about getting shot by people who don't like the fact I'm from Western Europe than animals.

it sounds like a good idea but id be most worried about staying in strangers houses. you have no idea who they are and for all you know they could be murderers so its pretty risky. I wouldn't rule the bike out either, last year I went to these adventure talks with my dad and one of them was a guy who had cycled around the world. took him just over 2 years so you would have to plan to be away for a long time. money wise I think realistically you would need a fair bit to be able to get through the trip :/ for food you could buy loads of army ration packs off the internet to get you by for the first few months. panniers will be a good investment too, maybe even a set for the front wheel too? would definitely allow you to carry more stuff. I think it's definitely doable but you will need abit of money aswell :)

Cheers for that Matt, to cycle to Australia/New Zealand I am expecting it to take a long long time haha. Good shout on army ration packs, will definitely be having front and rear panniers with ortliebs. :)

I would hitchhike, like these guys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo6Hj9hw96I

I've lost count how many times I watched that series... Looks like a lot of fun!

I been planing on doing something like that just around europe, but I would have to do it alone cause nobody could stand being around me for that long which would probably get boring...

Watching that now, haha agreed with the getting fed up of being with someone side of things.

The simplest answer to this would be to tell you to watch any of Alastair Humphrey's videos on youtube - he was a regular guy who didn't want to get a job just yet and decided to cycle around the world. He wasn't a cyclist but just wanted to go on an adventure. He rode up and down 5 continents and gone all the way around the world over 4 years and for under £7,000.

If you look into his journey you'll find a lot of answers!

Legend! Thanks for that :)

Definately prudent to attempt this around the uk before you venture abroad.

Potentially doing a trip with Ogre so will be a good start. Agreed though.

learn to play bass...get good...join a touring band, see the world for free with free beer and flights and hotels, food etc...works for me!!

I think there's an extremely fat chance of me learning to play an instrument.

Did you even read the thread :P

I pipe drempt this type of thing in my late teens, but then I thought too much about it and bottled out, there's a fine line between the thinking and doing. If your going to do it, just do it, plan for the worst, nothing more. sit around thinking for too long and you'll find more reasons against the idea than for. Its a fundamentally bad idea, but the once in a lifetime experience of it is what would make it great.

• Like 1

1.I have a caddy, can put a boot on the back pretty easily and have a place to sleep in the back the size of a single bed... Paired with making a shelf I could probably fit stuff in there too. Would definitely take a full selection of tools and a jack lift with me.

2.Thing is even if you drive how would you get to Australia, also just remembered you would probably need a visa to get into certain countries which would be a pain in the arse.

3.Driving could be doable if I took a friend and we both managed to find work, say work somewhere for a week, drive as far as you can with the money you earnt maybe 1000 miles if you're lucky. One full tank in the caddy will cost £100 and will get around 1000 miles I think

1. well, there is a way for transport!

2 itdoes not really matter if you travel by car or bike, you will need a visa

3. there are always work, you just need to find them and be open for everything !

I pipe drempt this type of thing in my late teens, but then I thought too much about it and bottled out, there's a fine line between the thinking and doing. If your going to do it, just do it, plan for the worst, nothing more. sit around thinking for too long and you'll find more reasons against the idea than for. Its a fundamentally bad idea, but the once in a lifetime experience of it is what would make it great.

Before uni I plan to go to USA fora few month, I am sparing up enough money to do it. I reckon you should do an european tour first, just get the feeling, and you can go everywhere easilyhere:)

Just watched a film called "Into the Wild" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758758/ Really good film and has inspired me, apart from living alone in Alaska f**k that.

Been speaking to a friend and he wants to go to America with me for a month or two this summer and drive along the coast in a campervan, will be awesome if it goes ahead. I reckon a 1 month long Europe trip is more likely this summer to see if we can cope before going further, cheers for the help lads.

• Like 1

I wanted to try keep internet out of this but it may have to be an option.

It seems kind of weird to have that attitude. The internet's an amazing tool, and provided you use it for something useful it could be a massive aid for you. Obviously if you just use it to upload f**king selfies of you in different locations it'd be whack, but it might help out loads with finding people in areas you're going to that you could stay with/meet up with/work with and so on. It doesn't have to cheapen the experience.

• Like 1

It seems kind of weird to have that attitude. The internet's an amazing tool, and provided you use it for something useful it could be a massive aid for you. Obviously if you just use it to upload f**king selfies of you in different locations it'd be whack, but it might help out loads with finding people in areas you're going to that you could stay with/meet up with/work with and so on. It doesn't have to cheapen the experience.

Will definitely consider this then, cheers Mark.

Hope to do a trip round Europe this year and venture further abroad next year if it goes well.