Found this, please explain?

AkuskaUK

stiff as hell,but due to that very prone to failure.

i had a wheel i built this way just for fun on my dj bike,it lasted a year,then ALL but 3 pairs of spokes snapped at one time during a landing.

funny thing is i even got the rim laying around now,5 years later and its true and round.was a grossmann "the outlaw" rim on a veltec ss hub.

Edited by FamilyBiker

If someone intentionally builds a snowflake pattern as opposed to just using up overly lengthy spokes , how on earth does one even calculate spoke length ? As for the picture - an unusually short fellow ? Seems he's compensating with excessive chain,spoke and brake cable length !

Also , always a joy to see a Base TA 26 frame still rollin'

• Like 1

Oh god that takes me back :) i love it. I have built a few bmx wheels like that, you don't change the spokes, if you pick the right pair (and take some others out) they find a hole to go in (Y)

I only ever did the fronts though, they had a tendancy to detonate on a big landing.

If someone intentionally builds a snowflake pattern as opposed to just using up overly lengthy spokes , how on earth does one even calculate spoke length ? As for the picture - an unusually short fellow ? Seems he's compensating with excessive chain,spoke and brake cable length !

My biggest regret is never running a rear disc on mine. -_-

Snowflake, old school indeed. I used to have a hope Big Un laced like that, stiff as hell but spokes needed tightening every few rides as they came loose quicker

Still got mine in my bedroom, keep meaning to do something with it