Let's Play A Game, Name That Creak?!

isitafox

Front end of my bike has been doing my head in, even caused me to buy a new set of forks (any excuse would do for that) but still the front end creaks like mad. It did it before when I had my Echo Pure so I can instantly dismiss the frame and headset, I've removed the bars and tried pressing on them on a bench and they're definitely not cracked and I've looked the stem over and that is perfect. I've just regreased all the bolts in the stem and topcap even fitting a few new ones and it still creaks. Not as bad now as in the video below but I'm completely stumped, can anyone name that creak?

The only thing I can think it possibly can be is the topcap rubbing on the top of the stem when there's pressure applied to the bars and stem?

Tried the bars and it's not them, still happens with the bars out. Had a bit more of a play and I reckon it might be the top bolt on the stem as there's about a 5mm gap from the top of the steerer to the top of the stem. Creaks when I tighten the top bolt up.

Try cleaning your headset bearings.

Also it's a brand new headset

Right, for all the suggestions so far you've missed the fact it happened on my old frame with different forks and a different headset. My current ones are brand new so that writes them both off. I'm going to try a bit of grease on the back of the steerer where the stem pinches up to see if that's making the sound, I reckon it could be the stem opening up ever so slightly when there's pressure applied to the bars causing the creak.

I am guess it's a stem thing, but hard to say for sure without some further tests which are too time consuming to type out now! If you wanna give us a call Dave I can explain.

Said tests will narrow it down straight away - if you have time give us a call Dave!