Rockman Aurem 4 Stock - Build Thread

ClarkeHutchison

Echo steel crank bolts come with those steel washers, might be worth ringing tartys and see what the crack is with them

I've tried an echo bolt with a washer and it ends up the same.

Oh well if it doesn't effect the performance i'll just leave it as it is.

Edited by ClarkeHutchison

If you take any spacers off the head tube, make sure its the echo one. The different thicknesses of the spacers looks crap.

Also, whats that you've got on the chain stays? No need, get them off.

Yeh I will,

It's some taped up chain stay protectors, I will be leaving them on to protect agaisnt scrapes/dents. I know it doesn't look good, but if I ever sell the bike on it will be worth more.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't updated this thread in a while mainly due to work, but also due to an ongoing dispute with Gary Sanderson over a set of wheels. I have since decided to buy hubs/rims separate and build up some wheels myself.

A set of new Echo TR hubs i bought from Neil Tunnicliffe arrived today, I got the set with a free echo sprocket for £45. I highly recommend him as a seller (very quick postage).

IMG_22101_zps97c665ac.jpg

I will first of all be running dual magura's, but i didn't mind having a front disc hub just in case i felt like a change at some point.

Can someone tell me if it is a bad idea to use a disc hub and run a magura. The only problem I can think of is that it will be more difficult to lace the wheel.

Does it effect strength at all?

IMG_22091_zps5e80753e.jpg

I also have some titanium axle bolts

IMG_22121_zps1c6b4808.jpg

I also got a bit bored waiting for parts so i decided to cut some nobbles off my tyres, mainly because I was curious on how much weight it actually saves and how it effects the grip.

I just used a steak knife and it seemed to work OK once i got the hang of it, a bit messy though.

Mountain King 2.2

IMG_20691_zpsbe45cc48.jpg

I got a bit carried away and cut every second top nobble as well :P

IMG_20701_zps1d10871a.jpg

Der Kaiser 2.5

IMG_21201_zps7d369eb6.jpg

Mountain King 2.2 W/Nobbles- 550g

W/O Nobbles- 430g

Der Kaiser 2.5 W/Nobbles- 1360g

W/O Nobbles- 1210g

Total weight saved = 270g (probably not worth it :giggle:).

I will update again when i start building my wheels up.

• 2 weeks later...

Well 2 months after paying Gary Sanderson for a wheel that failed to arrive and he has still failed to refund me, i bought a front wheel from Chris H on here, which arrived within a few days, great member and great price for the wheel.

(If anyone is wanting an echo TR front disc hub, New condition, let me know)

It's a Trialtech Sport Light rim built on a prototype trialtech hub (think it's the sport lite hub). New condition, 890g.

I quite liked the blue rim tape, but I decided on white for now.

a05d4c8b-f19c-4ee5-b326-c9dfef4dda06_zps

IMG_22911_zps9a2701cb.jpg

Titanium Bolts with Echo SL axle washer.

IMG_22871_zps84af1e2f.jpg

I am going for silver front+Rear Trialtech sport light rims because I have heard good things about them and I have always trusted Trialtech with quality parts. They are lightweight, look good (with a grind compared to black rims) and also should hold grinds well.

IMG_22921_zps312b1e74.jpg

Setting brake:

IMG_22951_zpsf3901479.jpg

Perfect

IMG_22971_zpsd98d5be6.jpg

Just waiting on Rear rim, Spokes and nipples from Tarty so i can build it up onto my Echo TR hub.

Also when your building up a wheel do you put grease on each individual nipple or is this not needed?

Also when your building up a wheel do you put grease on each individual nipple or is this not needed?

Are you referring to lubing up the thread to help stop spoke twist? If so yes. I tend to put a small bit of grease on the spoke thread, helps the thread run freely to stop it binding and twisting the nipple.

The nipples NiconJ is referring to don't claim to anything more than help align the nipple and the spoke thread by having a more rounded "ball joint" profile to the nipple. No manufacturer claims about slippery coatings or such. Can see some merit in those nipples, but never heard of anyone using grease or lube to aid the seating of the spoke or nipple heads. De-stressing the wheel properly after you first true and tension it should do the same thing.

• Like 1

Another delivery, this time a box from tarty.

IMG_23391_zps9b8c3069.jpg

Inside: Trialtech sport light rear rim to match front, Sapim Race spokes, Spoke tensioner (found out it didn't fit nipples very well) and VIZ alloy nipples in blue. I am building the rim onto my echo TR hub which I bought from Neil Tunnicliffe (great seller).

IMG_23471_zps85b64676.jpg

I used the lacing pattern 3 cross and just used a standard flat head screwdriver, it was a smull stumpy one and worked really well.

I painted one side of screwdriver white so I could count how many turns i put on each nipple, so to reduce the chance of a buckle when finished. :P

IMG_23561_zps1f5e9bba.jpg

Process:

First spokes in driveside

IMG_23531_zps3159178f.jpg

Driveside finished

IMG_23571_zps27268cad.jpg

Followed the same pattern for the non-drive side.

Complete but not tensioned. At this point I put grease on each spokes thread, was easier than applying at the start and less messy.

IMG_23661_zpse7c41456.jpg

With tube/Der Kaiser (Spokes look a bit twisted there but pulled straight after some more tension).

IMG_23672_zpseacd201d.jpg

Rear and front wheel complete. I'm happy with the silver rims, but at some point i will get some black spoke and blue nipples for the front.

Sorry for the poor quality picture it was chucking it down.

IMG_23691_zps83f4d52f.jpg

I don't have a trueing stand so I have my own weird way of doing it. I held the yellow crayon (from a repair kit) tight agaisnt the brake booster and then spun the wheel quickly, It then leaves a mark on the tyre where the buckles are (i really should of held it agaisnt the rim to get it more accurate, but it worked well anyway).

IMG_23761_zps8ff85155.jpg

In this case i loosened the spokes around the yellow mark and now my wheel is about 95% true,(I can never get it perfect). Chainline is also spot on :)

IMG_23771_zpsbe46fc8b.jpg

I will get more pictures up tommorow of bike fully built after i get brakes set and other small fix ups are finished.

I've got another question for members on here, My front wheel does not spin smoothly.

My front hub uses small washers inside the forks and agaisnt the hub, they have a small lip around the centre hole.

43548e8f-c820-4cab-bb26-1941897c336f_zps

IMG_24111_zps0b3c52aa.jpg

Off the bike the wheel spins very freely and smooth, but when i tighten the wheel on the forks, the wheel is very stiff. I thought it was the washer squezed up agaisnt the edge of the hub preventing it from turning smoothly. I tried putting a small washer inbetween (see picture) so it wasn't touching hub but it's still just as stiff as before.

IMG_24071_zps5c65c54a.jpg

Maybe my bearings are knackered, but they are almost new. (N)

Does anyone have any idea of whats going on and how i could fix it?

Axle could be very slightly bent dude, it only has to be microns out due to the tolerances involved with bearing. Either that or the bearing isn't seated in the hub body properly, and may need a light crack with a socket and a dead blow hammer to seat it properly. That's how I do mine, never failed me yet