The TF Track Day Thread

dann2707

In theory, of course. In practice, it'd need a bit of thinking about I guess.

My idea was to split the hire cost exactly between all of us, but then if there's an extra person or two at the last minute when everyone's paid up it makes things a bit awkward in terms of refunds etc.

I'll see if there's a maximum number (personally wouldn't want to have any more than 15 ideally, else you feel like you've spent all day sat around doing nothing) and a cost and we can go from there...

Totally, the way I meant it was for if people drop out and they've already paid, I'd be happy in the right circumstances to reimburse them to take their place. Definitely don't want to be an added complication for you Adam!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Right then, just got off the phone after speaking with David, the course secretary - helpful chap, he's happy for this to go ahead.

The hire charge until the end of 2014 is £600 a day. It's a pretty 'open' affair, a case of pick the key up in the morning and take it back in the evening, leave the place as you found it, sort out your own problems if anyone crashes or gets injured! He said the cost may increase a little in 2015, but when I kinda plucked £650 out of the air as an 'example' he said he didn't think it would be as much as that.

There is a catering company he uses who can supply a full day package (snacks, lunch, drinks all day) for about £12 a head on top if we want.

He would prefer a weekday since the weekends are busy with car club events and other things such as cycle races.

I have put forward an estimated date of mid-late Feb to early March and he was happy with that (sprint season / testing doesn't start til mid March) - but hasn't got a 2015 diary just yet so ask me to call back in a couple of weeks.

He mentioned the maximum number of cars suitable for the 'top' loop was around 10, and you could possibly have 15 if you used the full loop (but IMO that doesn't add a lot of benefit, in fact all it adds is one flat out corner and the temptation to rag the shit out of the car from a standing start).

I also think the day would run a lot better with someone organising this - informal timing is allowed so we could run a leaderboard which would give people an idea of their progress throughout the day - and I'd be up for doing it if nobody objects. In return I'd like to pikey a lap or two in a few people's cars cos I find it great fun driving different cars :) Also happy to do some informal instruction if there's someone else who would 'take the reigns' and do timing / organising for a bit.

All sound good still?

More info / rules below:

CURFORM7B ORGANISED TRACK DAY.doc

Awesome news! Thanks for sorting that out so far Adam.

Well up for that! How shall we go about laying down deposits for it? Maybe set up a standing order or PayPal? Seriously not sure how these things are normally done when it's all done internally.

I'd love some driver tuition too. Do we have to wear helmets? Passengers have to also?

No worries gents (Y)

A photographer would be sweet Mike, everyone loves pics of their cars, don't they Dan! :D I'm sure we can sort him out some lunch or something in return :)

Helmets - recommended but not mandatory. Max speed you'll reach is probably not much more than a motorway drive. I have a spare lid if anyone needs to borrow one.

Deposits - would prefer to avoid PayPal stretching my arsehole if possible, but bank transfer or PayPal gift would be fine by me.

Tuition - sorted.

Another suggestion might be to have 'sessions'. Example...

We have 12 cars, so 6 are being driven and 6 are parked up, taking half an hour turns or so. We can then have 6 people driving and 6 people passengering. We're not going to be setting any world records here so the extra weight of a passenger isn't an issue!

To me the benefits of this are:

- You spend less time sat about in a queue doing f**k all with your car idling.

- You get to learn about your own driving (from people pointing stuff out to you) and see others drive too (which in turn you can learn about your own driving from this).

- You meet people you might not have done normally, which is more fun / social, and when I've done track days in this way they have always been more enjoyable.

- Gives you a time slot to work on your car or go and get fuel etc. without feeling like you're 'missing out'.

Just a suggestion!

I've seen a few MX's upside down

They were doing it really, really wrong :P

• Like 1

Maybe I forgot to mention - there's only one car allowed on circuit at any one time. This was my point about the waiting around with more than 10-12 cars... and also why I suggested the 'sessioned' idea.

Of course bring her along if she fancies it, most women who are interested in driving make really good track drivers, especially their ability to listen to instruction!