Help Jeff Go to the World Cup

JEFF Anderson

Hey Everyone,

I am starting a crowd funding campaign to help fund my travel expense to Europe to compete in the World Cup and Championships.

www.GoFundMe.com/JeffTrials

It is a lot more expensive for us Canadians to do the competitions (especially with our falling dollar :( ). Any donation amount is appreciated! Donate a pound ($1.90 CAD) and I am very grateful! 

You can follow me here:
Jeff's Instagram - instagram.com/jefftrials/
Jeff's Facebook page - Facebook.com/JeffTrials
Jeffs Blog - JeffCAnderson.com

And see the results here ( first update end of May 2016):
http://www.uci.ch/trials/results/

Thanks,
Jeff

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Canardweb said:

Work and earn some money like everyone does! That will help you go to the comps you want to go to. All good riders have at least a half-time job aside from their riding. Vincent Hermance, Gilles Coustellier...etc... Do like them and stop asking!

You really are a colossal anus.

I don't know how good your geography is but Canada is an 8 hour flight at best from anywhere in Europe, and to fly there for each competition is a massive cost in travel alone in comparison with a tank of fuel needed to drive from France to somewhere like Belgium (which would probably be funded by their respective sponsoring companies anyway). Have you heard of Yess by any chance? The company that he founded? Very narrow minded to think someone would ask for complete funding and just sit there on their arse waiting for others to pay for them without putting any work in themselves. It is definitely a problem as it is also why many of the top Chinese riders don't attend the worlds because the travel costs are too steep.

I'll donate a couple of quid, think its great that you're so committed to riding that you'll pay/travel so much just to compete Jeff.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Canardweb said:

Work and earn some money like everyone does! That will help you go to the comps you want to go to. All good riders have at least a half-time job aside from their riding. Vincent Hermance, Gilles Coustellier...etc... Do like them and stop asking!

Please stop talking 

• Like 3

On 28 février 2016 at 10:47 PM, Scotty Evil1 said:

Please stop talking 

Please explain your point of view. When you go from a point A to a point B, you pay, and you don't ask anyone to pay for you. When there was some comps in South Africa or Australia, I don't remember of anyone asking for anything! That's what sponsors are for, that's what working is about. Sorry for my straight opinion but seeing many much more deserving riders than him who don't own bike companies never ask for anything makes me sad for this sport

Edited by Canardweb

22 minutes ago, Canardweb said:

Please explain your point of view. When you go from a point A to a point B, you pay, and you don't ask anyone to pay for you. When there was some comps in South Africa or Australia, I don't remember of anyone asking for anything! That's what sponsors are for, that's what working is about. Sorry for my straight opinion but seeing many much more deserving riders than him who don't own bike companies never ask for anything makes me sad for this sport

Donate, or don't donate (Y)

1 hour ago, Canardweb said:

Please explain your point of view. When you go from a point A to a point B, you pay, and you don't ask anyone to pay for you. When there was some comps in South Africa or Australia, I don't remember of anyone asking for anything!

When there was a comp in NZ/Australia, the majority of riders (who are based in Europe) either didn't go or complained about the cost of going.  They no longer hold them there, in fact every round this year is in Europe.  The first two rounds are within France, then there's a bit of an outlier in Poland, then the remaining rounds are in Austria and Belgium.  These are all very accessible if you're living in Europe, but if you live in Canada that's definitely not the case. 

Bearing in mind Giaco and Gilles, two of the top riders in the world who are presumably on good deals from sponsors, complain about the lack of money in the sport, a rider who's based somewhere so remote from the majority of comps that attending each round means a minimum 16-hour round plane trip must feel that quite a lot more.

On 28/02/2016 at 5:22 PM, Canardweb said:

59 minutes ago, Canardweb said:

Comparing Gilles and Vince to Jeff is a pretty poor example.

Vincent and Giles live in the country where trials is arguably the most popular ( maybe 2nd to spain) they receive funding from sponsors (Vince also "works" for his fathers company Hashtagg) They also receive funding from their local governments and well as having international trips funded by French cycling. As trials is more recognised and popular in their country they are also able to do more high profile shows which pay more (Vince does a lot of the french motorcycle indoor trials)
There is also the location. They are able to drive to pretty much every event which cuts costs. They also get prize money from competitions ( being able to compete more = more prize money)
As they are professional riders, they can train more, increase their level which means they remain at the top of the sport, which in turn helps them continue receiving all of the above mentioned support.

Now, Jeff lives in a country where trials in Tiny, they live next door to another country where trials is also tiny. This means less competitions and exposure meaning that he is less likely to receive any regional or national support and big name sponsors.
If Jeff was to compete in the same events as the european riders, that would involve a minimum of 6 return flights from Canada to Europe  ( thats just for world champs and world cups, not including any regional, national, European or any other international events that happen)
6 return flights is damn expensive no matter who you are. on top of that there is the cost of the bike on the flight too, hotels, car rental, fuel, general food etc.
Jeff has to work full time, which means he has a lot less time to train, meaning his level of riding isn't as high as vince etc which means he may "only" get top 10 or top 15 in world cups now, which doesn't get any prize money and doesn't really attract big company interest back in canada.

Jeff isnt asking you to pay for him to ride all year and do nothing else. Hes just asking for a little help form this small community so he can have the same basic chances and opportunity to compete in his favourite sport that the rest do.

When there were comps over in Aus/NZ/ SA. It was mainly the very top pro riders that went and Junior riders who were still able to get family to pay ( And actually, a few of the euro/french riders did set up some kind of crowdfunding)

*Not everything applies for both riders, but they each get pretty much all those things between them

If you want to donate, go for it. If you dont, then dont. Simple

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mark W said:

When there was a comp in NZ/Australia, the majority of riders (who are based in Europe) either didn't go or complained about the cost of going.  They no longer hold them there, in fact every round this year is in Europe.  The first two rounds are within France, then there's a bit of an outlier in Poland, then the remaining rounds are in Austria and Belgium.  These are all very accessible if you're living in Europe, but if you live in Canada that's definitely not the case. 

Bearing in mind Giaco and Gilles, two of the top riders in the world who are presumably on good deals from sponsors, complain about the lack of money in the sport, a rider who's based somewhere so remote from the majority of comps that attending each round means a minimum 16-hour round plane trip must feel that quite a lot more.

Or pretty much what mark has just said in half the space haha

• Like 1

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for all the comments.

I would say it is a bit more expensive in terms of travel costs for me as I live in Canada ( and on the other side, Vancouver :) ) and all the competitions are in Europe. And I am by no means going to five star hotels; photos attached is how I lived in Europe the last two years for the competitions (which was all self funded).

Yess is not my company, as they are a BMX company (www.yessbmx.com) but I have helped them create a trials frame: www.yesstrials.com. If you don't want to donate, buying a frame will also help me, as I will put my earnings towards my travel expenses.

Canada Cycling does not give fund Trials riders ( although I have tried to convince them ) because it is not an Olympic sport, yet.

I am trying to grow the sport of trials in Canada, and part of that is being able to show Canadians that we can go overseas and compete with the best in the world.   

Any help/support is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jeff

IMG_3767.JPG

IMG_3766.JPG

• Like 3

I'm going to start a "help me go drink throughout the uk" kickstarter..I will only stay in 5 star hotels and only eat in michelin star restaurants, I hope you will give me at least 10 quid Canardweb.   

I could use my own money, but where's the fun in that.

In all seriousness, hope you kick some ass over there Jeff! 

I can see where Carnardweb's coming from, it's easy for anyone to ask for money these days and I see a lot of college students asking for donations to themselves before really trying to fix their own problems which is annoying. In this case however, if supporting trials is something you want to do this isn't a bad way of doing it. 

If people are stupid enough to actually give the money to ridiculous causes (which this is definitely one of the least ridiculous I've seen) then maybe we're the ones who are stupid for not jumping on the bandwagon?

• Like 2

Jeff.When I posted  'WHAT A BUMMER' ,  it was for the fact that you are so far away and people didn't respond to your post for a while.People genuinely want to see you do well in the sport . Think of this - if you  had success in the comps , sponsors would look at your travelling expenses , . What I am trying to say is if you are that dedicated to riding these comps , it might be cheaper to spend the season living in Europe .

We have similar problems here in the UK with the the bicycle Fed's  and recognition of the sport.Catch 22.

Yes and no - just looking at it from a financial perspective, it's a tricky situation as British Cycling don't seem to want to help fund trials in the UK because they see the Biketrial Federation as being self-sufficient and not needing the help, from what I could tell.  BTF have made the sensible decision of keeping some money to one side to help riders/organisers/buy equipment and so on should they need to, but to British Cycling that seems to somehow be a bad thing.

That was my understanding of it at least, so it could be completely wrong :P

On 04/03/2016 at 4:18 AM, Canardweb said:

Fair enough everybody. But I still think there are riders who have worse conditions and still manage to attend competitions without asking anyone on a forum. That's all

Worse conditions than having to pay thousands of dollars to fly halfway around the world, rent transportation, accommodation, live out of a backpack for weeks and months at a time, have no support from your local federation, etc? Or having no local competitions to practice at and not being able to afford to attend events in your own country or the country next to you because you're trying to save to fly to another continent in the summer when flights are most expensive? Having to quit your job because it's the only way to get months off at a time so you can stay in Europe because it costs too much to fly back and forth between events? 

I'm not here to argue whether you should help foreign riders get to the WC or not, but I think it's important for people to understand where we're coming from and just how difficult it is for us just to show up at these events. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Jeff is a top bloke who is a very good ambassador for trials, what's the problem with a donation of £1? I'm sure more is wasted on worse things.

hea also helped me out in the past with the loan of spare parts when I didn't even know him. A true gent