Old 4play vs. new Arcade

niconj

I know that it's down to personal preference but some pointers you might still have. I've got some money to spare and want to buy a new frameset. How does the Arcade compare to my 2012 4play?

Geometry (4play)
- Wheelbase: 1020mm 
- Chainstay: 375mm 
- BB Height: +25mm 
- Head Angle: 73˚

Geometry (Arcade)
- Wheelbase: 1000mm 
- Chainstay: 364mm 
- BB Height: +25mm 
- Head Angle: 74,5˚

My 4play bunny hops rather well I think but I don't have any comparison as I haven't ridden any modern street trial geometry yet. What I currently focus on is spinning and front wheel moves and bunny hops (of course). I know that riding wise, I haven't reached the limits of my current bike yet, nor will I ever do but I would like a change. Still, I may profit some of a new frameset.

And to make things even more difficult, I really like the new TMS Silex:

Geometry (Arcade)
- Wheelbase: 998mm 
- Chainstay: 350mm 
- BB Height: +22mm 
- Head Angle: 74,5˚

Edited by niconj

Not entirely sure anymore how the 2012 fourplay felt as I never owned one, but my 2010* fourplay felt very cramped after a while and I used to get lower back pains riding it.

The arcade feels lighter in a way and it's not that noticeable that it's under you if that makes sense. I felt like I'm standing in in, being more upright with less weight on your arms.

That said, I could pedal up higher with less difficulties with my fourplay, but that might be down to practice or lack of it..

All in all, for me switching to the arcade was brilliant. It's a right hoot to ride 'normally' too.

No idea how the TMS Silex would compare though.

*2011? No idea anymore.. I don't even remember which year arcade I have..

Edited by Topsy

Considered getting the arcade over the fourplay (still waiting on the new four play to be released though!) the weight puts me off though, it's a whole kilo heavier. I know weight isnt the be all and end all but that's alot of weight to throw around and unless I have chance to have a go of one before buying it would make me nervous. I've never really been a fan of the whole 'steel is real', started riding aluminium MTB bikes and never gone back to steel.

1 hour ago, Daviesdt said:

Considered getting the arcade over the fourplay (still waiting on the new four play to be released though!) the weight puts me off though, it's a whole kilo heavier. I know weight isnt the be all and end all but that's alot of weight to throw around and unless I have chance to have a go of one before buying it would make me nervous. I've never really been a fan of the whole 'steel is real', started riding aluminium MTB bikes and never gone back to steel.

You have to come to terms with it not being the same as a comp bike at the end of the day. The way they get ridden is different you're hindered by the geo for quite a lot of things trials related. The weight of the bike doesn't over come any of that. I've ridden both and although I liked aspects of the Aluminium frame steel just seems to be perfect for street. Even in a trials mindset. It feels great.

Around yourself there's a few riders with Arcades and Consoles so getting to a ride and trying one out shouldn't be a problem at all but if you have to not be totally put of by peoples set ups as most run their bars inline with the forks now. Nasty! 

In terms of the Silex I will let people know what I make of it as soon as I get any inkling of what's actually happening with it, they've told me I am getting one but I don't know if that means they have sent it or not :P

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Paperclip said:

Yeah if you're a fan boy :huh:

How do you run your bars? 

I wouldn't say that I'm a fan boy. I remember asking @Dman how they were supposed to be run and he told me so. Never really thought about it though.

Edited by niconj

4 hours ago, Ross McArthur said:

@STUNTMAN TERRY runs his forwards with no problems at all.

Run what you like Germo.

If you don't know, it's good to follow more experienced riders' suggestions. That's what I did. Coming from a pure trials bike, everything about my Inspired felt weird so I never really questioned the bar angle. I thought that this was the best angel as tested by many. 

Just now, Dman said:

I used to run them slightly forward, it does help with some stuff, but other stuff feels horrible, inline is right for me. 

Examples? I suppose that Bunny Hops are harder with the bars more forward.

Mine are forward, my bike usually  goes up when I ride towards a wall. All good. 

Try change them around it'll take a bit of getting used to maybe a ride but it might be the best change to your set up you ever make! 

Edited by Paperclip
  • Like 2

I find it's still possible to hop ONTO things with bars forwards, but a lot harder to hop OVER things. Tilting them back tucks the elbows in a little more naturally allowing your upper body to relax. Often (not always) bars forwards can stiffen up the riding and force a more elbows out position but it's all personal preference.

• Like 1

On 2017-5-29 at 5:21 PM, Paperclip said:

Mine are forward, my bike usually  goes up when I ride towards a wall. All good. 

Try change them around it'll take a bit of getting used to maybe a ride but it might be the best change to your set up you ever make! 

That's the thing really, there's no 'right' way to do it, but all I'd say about Luke's setup is that Luke doesn't really ride an Arcade in a way that really gets the most out of one.  I don't mean that in a bad way, just that Luke's riding is very much more orientated towards the trials end of the spectrum, so having Carthy bars suits it.  Having ridden his bike I can't imagine ever doing a 3 hop or a manual 180 on it because the front end feels so sluggish to carve/move around.  Having your bars rolled forwards shifts your weight forwards and that's good for some stuff, but for a lot of streetier stuff you ideally need your weight a bit more neutral/further back, so having your bars like that doesn't really help.  If you ride like Luke though it may work for you.  If you don't, it probably won't.

Having gone from a similar geo Fourplay to an Arcade it was much better in every way, simply because the short stays make it way nicer to bunnyhop, manual and spin, and the steeper head angle makes the whole bike feel more lively and nimble.  If that's what you want then go for it.  If they're not, they're not.  There's not really much point wasting time thinking about hypothetical bar angles for a bike you may or may not get.

• Like 2