Archie H

I9 Hydra Hubs

33 posts in this topic

On 06/03/2019 at 6:17 PM, Swoofty said:

Which axle version is that? Is it 10mm bolt on?

12mm bolt through s/s

9 hours ago, Herbertlemon102 said:

alex rides a jealousy, so id guess its the 12mm bolt through... 

Yup yup! 

Posted (edited)

Awesome to see a rider taking the plunge to try one out! Let us know how it goes.

Edit: Do you have any intention of opening it and taking out the grease? It looks like I9 uses grease now instead of oil like they used to on the Torch hubs. A friend of mine has an I9 Torch Classic and his skipped every now and then until he cleaned it out.

"The pawl mechanism of our Hydra, Torch Road, and 101 hubs has a distinctive sound. It has the sound of nothing more than the highest-quality sprung pawl system. Most riders report that the noise is inaudible over the wind at higher speeds. It is loud enough to be heard, yet not so loud as to detract from the experience you are trying to enjoy. Our stock FH lubricant is Dumond Tech Pro-X Freehub Grease. For riders who enjoy a louder hub experience, simply wipe down your drive ring, apply Dumond Tech FH oil and you will notice an audible difference."

Edited by aliao

I have been running the torch ss 120 hub since July of 2017. It's infinitely better than my hope pro 4. Not even comparable. Also twice the price. Never  skips, it popped a couple times until I cleaned it out completely the first week. After 15 months I had to swap one bearing. It rolls so fast everything else feels horrible yet engagements are night and day with kings and hopes. The multiple contact points on each pawl and the fact they aren't sharp but flat and use a2 tool steel make it better. I spent 6 months travelling Asia just riding trials with 20km commutes daily. Much better investment than many other things. 

1 person likes this

On 07/03/2019 at 8:02 PM, aliao said:

Awesome to see a rider taking the plunge to try one out! Let us know how it goes.

Edit: Do you have any intention of opening it and taking out the grease? It looks like I9 uses grease now instead of oil like they used to on the Torch hubs. A friend of mine has an I9 Torch Classic and his skipped every now and then until he cleaned it out.

"The pawl mechanism of our Hydra, Torch Road, and 101 hubs has a distinctive sound. It has the sound of nothing more than the highest-quality sprung pawl system. Most riders report that the noise is inaudible over the wind at higher speeds. It is loud enough to be heard, yet not so loud as to detract from the experience you are trying to enjoy. Our stock FH lubricant is Dumond Tech Pro-X Freehub Grease. For riders who enjoy a louder hub experience, simply wipe down your drive ring, apply Dumond Tech FH oil and you will notice an audible difference."

I stripped all the grease out and used tri-flow as I use in all my kings :) 

:lol: giving it a wee shake to get the last bit out there..

3 people like this

On 2019-03-10 at 9:22 AM, Alex Dark said:

I stripped all the grease out and used tri-flow as I use in all my kings :) 

Any skipping yet? I'm thinking about ordering one for a new build...

3 people like this

On 18/03/2019 at 2:22 AM, jamesb said:

Any skipping yet? I'm thinking about ordering one for a new build...

Seems all good so far. I have been impressed by it ; makes Kings feel very crude in comparison 

1 person likes this

34 minutes ago, Alex Dark said:

; makes Kings feel very crude in comparison 

I thought he same of the Hope 88ep too. Which made me :'(