Classic Videos

Maintenance Justice

I spotted @Ali C s post on Instagram recently digging up some classic Trials Videos such as ‘Tricks and Stunts’ and ‘Hibernation’ I’ve also been watching videos of Craig Lee Scott and bits of Neil Tunnicliffe.

Being new to Trials I kinda feel like I’ve missed this huge decade of progression and inspiration for so many current riders. I grew up riding MTB with videos like Dirt, New World Disorder and the Drop In Tv series providing the inspiration to ride and I want to see what I missed in the Trials scene! 

Don’t get me wrong, Jack Carthy, Ali Clarkson, Charlie Rolls, Tomomi Nishikubo etc blow my mind but how did we get here?! Where did up to fronts come in? Who was the king of drop gaps? Ryan Leech was a pioneer with Manifesto but who else was at the beginning riding street?

I’d love some recommendations for classic films and ‘edits’ to check out to see how the sport has progressed and watch those iconic short films. It doesn’t have to be big titles, even shorts that have some quality riding would be great like Flipps videos. Maybe there’s some of you guys back in the days of VHS!

• Like 1

Here's where it started for me...

1997 - pretty much wore my copt of this on VHS out. Can still quote large sections of the dialogue. Bad news :lol:

Then Evolve absolutely blew my mind in 2000:

Didn't watch this as much, but picked up some good tips in 2001:

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

1997 - pretty much wore my copt of this on VHS out. Can still quote large sections of the dialogue. Bad news :lol:

I was same but Revolution instead of Evolve, I did upload it to Vimeo but looks like my account has been deleted at some point <_<

10 hours ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

• Like 1

I know there not just trials but a bit of everything. The chain reaction series of films and riders anonymous when I was younger I remember buying these on vhs from halfords and then at some point on dvd I loved seeing the likes of Ryan leech, shawn denny and lance trappe (I think that's his last name).

• Like 1

I was 16/17 when Chainspotting came out so it was what I grew up watching while riding trials on the street. I even copied the whole audio from my VHS to a cassette so I could listen to all the music while riding on my Panasonic walkman, it was just a straight rip so it had all the dialogue as well lol I have it on DVD now so about once a year I watch it.

Edited by Rip
  • Like 1

Just now, Maintenance Justice said:

I have now. “Ima call security, that’s a $9000 Gorilla” is the best line from any MTB film ever and Ryan Leech’s first missed gap to rail was terrifying to watch!

Baggy jeans are due a comeback.

I never stopped wearing baggy jeans lol I wear these now:

https://www.routeone.co.uk/products/route-one-baggy-denim-jeans-mid-wash

Trying to find men's jeans nowadays that don't resemble girls jeans is actually quite hard. 

• Like 4

I’d probably add trialskings videos in there, then maybe that coustellier video as that seemed to me to signal a massive shift in the riding style/technique/size. 

But yeah, another vote for chainspotting and evolve. Pretty much everything good about trials is in there. 

• Like 4