JamesB Vids

jamesb

This isn’t really trials, but it’s what I got up to this summer.

I’ve been busy doing shows, tired, sick, and injured over the last 3 months. Honestly, I can’t wait to be done the circus shows so I can ride for  fun again! I tore my meniscus too so my bits in this are quite cautious.

The 2 guys I am doing shows with are gnarly bmxers so we did some skatepark riding in the evenings after work! This is what came of it.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm making the gigantic drive to the west coast, to potentially live there! I hope to keep filming stuff along the way. I'll keep posting the trials stuff here, but I'll be doing a lot of mountain bike videos too :)  I hope you like this! The 180 tap 180 to front to hop over was hard to learn! Coming back off the same side was easy though... maybe on a real set-up soon?

• Like 1

It is also a difficult one!

I can manual, I can do a 180° but the manny 180° ... it seems out of reach to me!

It is also quite hard to see a nice one to be honest.  It seems to me to be particularly tough on a 26", even more without bitch crank.

But I agree with you, the 1:45 line was a highlight too.

They just take a lot more body movement than you think, in my experience. I learned them on a BMX which I think probably helped, but in all honesty once you get the feel for them I think they translate to different wheel sizes fairly readily. In many ways they felt easier to do on tech stuff on my Fourplay and Arcade, and the handful of sketchy manual 360s I got I could only do on my 24".

For me they're about harnessing the power of the loop out! You need the front wheel somewhat high to make the spin easier, so you're more towards the 'loop out' end of balancing. If you get the pop right they snap around really nicely. People who only ever do them by bitch cranking are really missing out on how good they feel as a move to do, and also the way they tend to look better by doing them without a crank.

The biggest mistake I see people make with them is carving too much before popping them as you basically lose the momentum for the spin. Try getting your hips around as much as you can and lead the bike around that way, rather than just trying to simply steer into the spin.

If you want to see some nice manual 180s on a 26", get following Joacim Lundgren on Instagram! He does some really nice manual 360s too.

• Like 2

I rode some pure trials in this one! It felt good, and it was difficult to do without too many hops and low tire pressure.

Thanks @ben_travis It was scary!

@Mark W I was totally harnessing the Ryan Leech 180 powers on that line! The first time I saw trials, it was him, and he did those right in front of me. The Manny 180s a great way out :)

• Like 4

The videos from your trip are amazing... Hope some more are coming. Really like to see you ride boulders, it looks so nice.

To answer your question: there use to be some Maxxis Minion SS (semi slick) 26" x 2.3 with dual down (120 tpi). Not sure they are still available though. I was looking for an alternative to the holy roller with thicker sidewalls but I never found a tyre that matches.

Cutting down a DH tyre could be a solution.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been watching old UCI Trials livestreams and drooling over modern trials bikes for the last week. Glascow 2022?

This is Canadas trials park. It's amazing to have access to this pure trials paradise this winter. I was sore for 4 days after filming this haha!

Amazing video as always! Such a different way to ride, a great source of motivation!

I really appreciate the precision moves (the side to side wheel displacement,the 180s), removing correction hops and being so well balanced on the bike give such a nice flow! It looks so easy to accomplish, but every experienced riders knows how many tries are required...

That is why I like your edits. It is not everything about balls like some Austrian blond rider.

It is more about creating flow using precision, on creative lines full of difficult and tricky moves.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a noob again :) 

Went out on it again yesterday and I felt like I was closer to reaching full potential. So cool hopping on a real modern trials bike. Gaps like crazy. Sidehops are sick. Ups to front and hooks are great. Taps, not so much.

• Like 2

I appreciate to see you ride a modern comp bike! But I appreciate even more, that you ride the same frame as I do!(Y)

The Cleep 2 has a recent geometry, but the frame is quite heavy compared to the Jealousy. Maybe 400g (0,88 pound) heavier.

Would like to see your reaction when you get back on your street/trial :giggle:

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2023 at 10:23 PM, Ross McArthur said:

Digging that front wheel back wheel tap, James! Looks like you’re getting The hang of the bike now. Did tilting the bars back help a lot?

Thanks! Yeah, tilting the bars back made a huge difference. Easier to lift the front, and no stem to nuts contact on taps. Taps feel so good now!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...