Remember These ?

Endohopper

At the risk of showing my age : anyone remember the Mr.Crud D.C.D ( Dave's chain device ) ?

gallery_3439_596_18509.jpg

In times of yore , when men rode to battle on 17" frames wearing lycra :)

these used to be on pretty much every trials bike in the U.K .

Pretty pointless really , when you can simply shorten your chain , thus saving weight instead of adding to it . I have plenty of photos of Lord Martyn of Ashton and indeed many "older" riders sporting these curiosities on their chainstays .

For a while there , even I was running one , Blue of course . Aaaah , them were the days . . .

Yeah, theres a few pictures of them being used in the MBUK 15th anniversary issue.

There pretty pointless now unless you want to position a chain devise behind your tyre for sprocet grinding on a street bike. No point on a 22t chainring though.

Bloody hell that takes me back a few years to when i first got into trials on a raliegh fargo jump bike. Decided to put a bash ring and 'DCD' chain deveice on it.

Looking back at old parts and stuff just reminds me how quickly technology moves on where trials is at today. :">

When I first saw Tricks & Stunts I had to have one. Had no money, so I made a crap one of my own to fit to my 18" Raleigh Ascender. No one likes them anymore, but I've got a black one and a couple of yellow ones somewhere. Perhaps we should all built 'retro' trials bikes. That would be cool. Have a comp, where you have to ride a pre-2000 spec bike. Extra points if you wear the correct race-top.

pah, thats not nearly old skool enough! how many people remember these bad boys? Complete rubbish. didn't work in the slightest. But were available in anodised colours, which made them automatically ace :)"

gallery_1016_251_55234.jpg

gallery_1016_251_55843.jpg

For those that cant see, the bar part attaches to the end of ur qr skewer under the screw cap, and points out the back away from the frame. The spring then clips to the end of the rear mech arm. I'm still baffeled as to what the desired effect was.

This was the third bike that it got use on before it got killed.

Edited by rathergoodpie

Yeah, I remember when they were a vital accessory on all trials bikes, mine actually showed some usefulness as my mech hanger was super bent and the DCD kept my chain at an angle where it didn't rub the tyre :)

I've probably got one in the shed still, anyone remember the Union Jack version Ashton and a few others had, everyone wanted one!

Yeah, I remember when they were a vital accessory on all trials bikes, mine actually showed some usefulness as my mech hanger was super bent and the DCD kept my chain at an angle where it didn't rub the tyre :)

I've probably got one in the shed still, anyone remember the Union Jack version Ashton and a few others had, everyone wanted one!

DCD.jpg

this sexy beast you mean?

ben

Edited by Man On A Mission

I used to run one on my bike aswell!

I used to ride a Scott XC bike for trials untill I went out and bought an ES3, due to the square chainstays I couldnt put it on the echo easily.

The rubber roller was a simple idea that worked but the chain wore a trench in the roller after a while, the worn away rubber simply became oil/rubber crap on the chain :)

The DCD stayed on the Scott which is now my get to work bike, the DCD was on the Scott untill a few months ago when the roller finally died. I wore it right through to the plastic centre!!!

i liked ashtons union jack one, i always wanted one :)" but was to stingy to buy one so i made one out of a yogurht pot, or a milk carton cant remember and worked for a few weeks. ;)