The Gym Thread...

downhill_rob2@hotmail.com

Where did you get the belt? I need one! Matty paid £40 for his but don't really want to be spending that much, he said that was cheap too haha

£20 on ebay, thought it was worth a shot. Seems like really good quality to me, will try it out tomorrow. Not too happy that I ordered large and can only just get it on though haha. Really need to lose some fat over the summer. :lol: www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200796671005

What would it be safe to go up to without a belt? This gym only has a Smith Machine (yeah?) for squats at the minute. No free weight rack. They have free weights/barbells/dumbells just no frame to go with it all..

Depends entirely on the individual to be honest, but as a guideline if you're going for anything over 80% of what you can do for 1 rep then you should be belted really, if you've been lifting for a while and you're pushing good numbers.

I've deadlifted 160 and squatted 120, and just felt that the weights were starting to get heavy enough to overpower my core. When you're not able to keep your core tight and your back straight any more, a belt will help support you.

Never actually used one though so don't quote me on anything just yet. :P

No squat rack is just wrong lol. I'd seriously move gym, I hate smith machines. I injured my shoulder in one of those b*****d things. The force the bar through a path, rather than you controlling the bar through a more natural path.

Edited by Muel

If youre not actually having problems doing squats or deads, I wouldnt bother with a belt.

6 years of lifting and not needed a belt yet.

Oh yeah avoid the smith as much as you can.

Edited by Kevinfor

I use a belt for my heaviest lifts of the day on deadlift and squat.

In other news I hit 135kg for 3 today, so that's 3 reps of what was my one rep best a month or so ago. Also had a comment about my depth being on point to, which is nice.

Going for 140kg next time around. That would make me happy.

I use the cheaper of the MP belts, it's pretty good. Saying that, I'm 82kg, 6 foot, and I have to use it on the smallest loops, so if you're smaller than that you might be out of luck.

f**k :() might have to make my own holes!

What amino acids are people taking? Link please!

Orange flavoured iBCAA from myprotein, just like having orange cordial. Otherwise I have the tablets but there a pain to swallow as they're f**king massive!

Could you explain the benefits of them please? Do you actually notice them or whatever

f**k me, brought my 16kg kettlebell to work today for a session as it's always quiet in here and I can't believe the difference not having any pre-workout has made. Struggling so much compared to normal, might have to sneak a gym sesh in tomorrow to make up for this!

Oh neat, thanks guy's I'll order some

No matt don't!!!!!!!!!!

BCAA is a big pile of shit (if you're not a vegetarian). You already get all the aminos from eating meat and protein stuff during the day, spend your money on orange juice instead, would work just as good haha ;)

Read up a bit on the supplement industry before posting their product information here.. ;) Trust me, it's built up of lies and bullshit.

There's only 3 supplements I would recommend, and that actually works:

Protein powder, basically just easy protein if your diet doesn't cover your "protein needs".

Creatine, this does work, helps me a lot in the gym. I feel stronger and have more energy to push a few more reps.

Pre workout - this scary thing with a ingredient list longer than the bible, will make you feel like you've just had 70 energy drinks, and does contain some good things which will make you push out a few more reps :)

No matt don't!!!!!!!!!!

BCAA is a big pile of shit (if you're not a vegetarian). You already get all the aminos from eating meat and protein stuff during the day, spend your money on orange juice instead, would work just as good haha ;)

I spend about £15 a week on OJ. the £2.70 900ml good shit (two for £3.50) and put some creatine in there which I find dissolves nicely .

not ordered the BCAA's but I did some research and some people say it works and other call it BS, don't think I will be getting any so don't you worry your little meat balls x

Read up a bit on the supplement industry before posting their product information here.. ;) Trust me, it's built up of lies and bullshit.

There's only 3 supplements I would recommend, and that actually works:

Protein powder, basically just easy protein if your diet doesn't cover your "protein needs".

Creatine, this does work, helps me a lot in the gym. I feel stronger and have more energy to push a few more reps.

Pre workout - this scary thing with a ingredient list longer than the bible, will make you feel like you've just had 70 energy drinks, and does contain some good things which will make you push out a few more reps :)

Don't want to sound rude but have you 'Read up a bit on the supplement industry before posting their product information here.. ;) ' because id say BCAA are rather important and one of the few actually proven supplements! They defiantly do make a difference if you take them or not.

​Pre-work outs are bullshit too, all those added ingredients are fairy dusted meaning there is so little it will not actually give a benefit other than they can write it on the ingredient list! You would be best off with a cup of coffee and a banana! If you wanted a good pre-work out there are some real good ones out there but do your research as they are a huge placebo most of the time, pre-Jym is a good one!

Pre-Workout = Caffiene and bulking powder.

Edited by bike_dummie

Did some heavy bench press today to try to gauge where my 1RM is, managed 85kg which I'm pretty happy about seeing as I only weigh 70.4kg :)

Supplements wise I take multivitamins, fish oil, creatine and whey isolate. Personally I don't think I would take any more than that, except maybe a pre-workout if oranges stop working their magic. (which they won't because oranges are the best).

I think a pre-workout which gives a placebo effect is probably the best pre-workout there is, so much of bodybuilding is in your head that if you can get fired up without actually filling your body with random stimulants and general poison you're onto a winner.

• Like 1