The Gym Thread...

downhill_rob2@hotmail.com

Also on the dumbells I have to peak at 40 as thats the heaviest they have :(

You are lifting too heavy!

Dont do a split and certainly don't do supersets like previously suggested!

Fully body workouts consisting of compound movements -

5 sets and 5 reps - 1 to 2 minutes rest between sets.

Standard Deadlift

Squat

Dumbbell Chest Press

Dumbbell Rows

Press Ups

Pull ups

Simple stretches at the end.

This will work your whole body, do the work out 2 or 3 times a week.

Lift with 100% form push the weights up fast lower them slowly to build strength.

1 second from bottom to top

4 seconds from top to bottom

40kg dumbell row too heavy? :dots:

Yes, he has only been training 6 weeks so in my opinion yes it is.

As simple as the exercise is it is very easy to do it wrong! Weight lifting is all about form not how big your ego is.

If he does something like the workout i suggested with good form his back should be worked enough that he doesn't need to lift heavy on the row, his back will be hit on the deadlift, chest press and pull ups. He does not need to row 40kg?

Edited by bike_dummie

Fair enough

As far as the workout I posted goes, it's recommended for beginners to only go for 3 sets rather than 4 and that one is based on resting 30 seconds between sets which is pretty hardcore so at least give yourself 60-90 secs.

Cheers for all the input, I'll give each different method a try. I'll be on the Arnie Back/Chest supersets tomorrow, I'll try that a few times and then I'll try the above mentioned full body stuff.

I'd say my form is pretty good, dead-lifts maybe being the worst, I've not yet worked these with anyone else who has experience so I cant say for certain.

The 40kg rows are quite easy, the routine is probably set 1@ 18 - 20 reps, set 2 @ 16 - 18, set 3 @ 16 - 18 and on the 40s I can probably knock out 15 on a bad day..

I've had a severe ankle injury which makes it physically impossible to squat with out my right heal lifting of the ground. as i only have about 10% movement in that foot. Has anyone got any recommendations that offer as much benefit as squats. i feel like i'm really missing out.

I'm not so clued up on the lingo yet. A typical session, say for back would be;

Pull ups, mixture of wide/tight/alternate grips 20 - 50 reps in as many sets as required.

Dumbell rows, starting at 20kg, 25kg, 32.5kg, then 40kg max effort every weight, reps arent counted as such. Then we work back, 40kg down to around 15 and go for a max effort, maybe finishing at 12 reps on 15. So all in maybe 8 sets and 100 reps?

Seated rows on a cable machine, same rules as above.

Lat pull down on cable machine, same again, starting low, max effort through as high as possible and back again.

Then a few Romanian dead lifts 50kg - 70kg - 95kg and back down again.

Then finish up with a 2500m row alternating intensity and speed every 500m.

I'm going to try the routine he posted tomorrow, having a rest today. I tried the 4 x 10 routine type set up and I never felt worked by it. Even at the top end of what I could lift, the last few reps would be a struggle but I never seem to get tight or pumped/ache. So I had a look around at different methods, hit the overtraining method and found it felt more rewarding.

I don't fancy bulking too much and getting massive, size wise I'm around 5'10 and 85kg which is roughly where I want to be. Just a bit stronger and more ripped.

I've read you've been doing your workout for 6 weeks and taken that to mean that you've been gymming for 6 weeks in total, sorry if that's not the case.

Your training needs to reflect your aims, so you need to be realistic with what it is you want. The workout of yours that is quoted is going to make you stronger, but not in the most efficient way. That kind of volume is pretty much accepted as appropriate for a medium kind of hypertrophy; getting bigger and stronger.

If you just want to get stronger (and toned - think Olympic lifters) you could do a much more efficient job by lifting more weight for less reps. As a beginner, you'd probably gain more from a reduced workload as well. If you're fatiguing and you reckon your diet and health is on point - the only thing you could really be doing is overtraining.

high-reps-vs-low-reps-2.jpg

Again, as a beginner, another thing to do would be have a more regimented workout, with flat sets x reps and the same exercises each week. Make a note of what weight you've lifted each week and next week, if you hit your target reps, increase the weight. It's pretty straightforward and potentially quite boring, but it gives you a good indication of your progress. You may not feel worked on some days but if the weight's are going up each week, you're getting stronger. Then after you're happy with your base strength and happy with judging your work output in a session, you can move to the pyramids and more complex routine structures.

If it's the case you're not a beginner, and are in fact just plateauing - switch the routine up, take some things out, put some new lifts in, change the focus (sets/reps) of your main lifts and potentially, depending on how much change you've made, drop all of your weights slightly and work back up.

3 scoops porridge oats

2 scoops chocolate stevia whey protein

1½ scoops creatine monohydrate

1 dessert spoon (and a generous one at that!) smooth almond butter

1 banana

300ml semi skimmed milk

splash of water (to clean the blender and get the last bits out)

:cheers::wub:

What did a physio say? Did you get any exercises after the injury to stretch your muscles?

Was about 8 years ago, and i never really had a physio i just met a weird bloke off this forum who asked for pictures of my feet.

Anyway, its sort of fused in to place and has kind of stretched as much as it can do.

Pushed deadlifts again tonight to 107kg 5x6 which I'm really happy with. Tried wearing a belt too which feels so much better.

Feels like progression for me to say when I started in Jan I struggled with 60kg.

I can see my weight going up now too, constantly over 60.5kg when I check the scales. Woooooooo

Pushed deadlifts again tonight to 107kg 5x6 which I'm really happy with. Tried wearing a belt too which feels so much better.

Feels like progression for me to say when I started in Jan I struggled with 60kg.

I can see my weight going up now too, constantly over 60.5kg when I check the scales. Woooooooo

For some reason I always assumed you'd be heavier..I'm a right lard at 86kg.

I'm only 5ft6.5 :(

5ft8 over here, been this height since I was 15 :P I was 68.2kg when I stepped on the scale last night, I know I should do morning weight but I don't own a scale (N)

I'll probably finish my cut after the next 4 weeks of exams are over, at around 67kg 13%bf and start reverse dieting to get back on that buuuuulk. I find regulating my diet at uni is so much easier than when at home so I'll keep on the cut until I go back. My squat is up to ~80kg now, which I'm happy with considering my legs are the most pathetic excuse for legs I've ever seen. Hopefully with a few more calories in me I'll be able to put on some muscle mass.

I'm 6'2" (was 6'3" before I started at the gym??) and currently weigh 90-91kg. I'm trying to put a bit of weight on as I struggle to gain any size but no matter what and how much I eat I pretty much hold at that weight.

Just need to consume more calories than you burn in a day, obviously not fat though!
I have a weight gain protein shake after working out that has about 4-500 calories and in a morning I have a big bowl of porridge followed by a protein shake if I'm at home or I'll have the shake before I leave for work and the porridge when I get here. Just need to seriously hammer some food down!

3 scoops porridge oats
2 scoops chocolate stevia whey protein
1½ scoops creatine monohydrate
1 dessert spoon (and a generous one at that!) smooth almond butter
1 banana
300ml semi skimmed milk
splash of water (to clean the blender and get the last bits out)

:cheers::wub:

• Like 1

That's why bodybuilders meal prep days before then everything is ready to eat when you need it, not exactly a taste sensation but it does the job if you've got a handy pot with some sweet potato, protein and green veg to eat on the move.