The Gym Thread...

downhill_rob2@hotmail.com

Full 'bro split' for me.

This week is...

Monday - Shoulders and Arms (generally throw this in when I have time)

Wednesday - Legs

Friday - Chest and Arms

Sunday - Back

I use the 5/3/1 weight progression on my 3 main lifts. Bunch of accessory and mobility stuff thrown in for good measure.

No weights today, but I finally got off my arse and went to the gym this evening. Just half an hour on the cross trainer to get me started, going to move on to weights next visit.

Annoyingly, everyone there is built like tanks, so I'll be a little self conscious of my tiny arms.

I normally do chest and tris mon, legs tues, back weds, and shoulders and bis Thursday.

Roughly that is but I just fancy a change.

Edit: oh and mike everyone started somewhere, aslong as you're a good gym goer I.e. Re rack and don't use 74 sets of dumbells at once no one will care!

Edited by LukasMcNeal

Managed 167.5kg deadlift for one yesterday. Feeling like 180kg isn't so far away.

Seem to have stalled on squats though, 130kg for reps tomorrow, so will see how that goes.

Are you doing front squats?

If not, do!

Paused front squats and "slow down, paused and then explosive up" (im sure theres a better name for them) normal squats seem to get me trough any squat plateaus.

Mon: chest and tri's

Tues: shoulders and bi's

Wednesday: back (upper and lower)

Thursday: legs and abs

Friday: rest

Sat: abs and cardio

Sunday: rest

Finally onto the bottom row of dumbbells for chest press, 30kg!

Mike, the gym is an all accepting place where you go to better yourself. People won't (shouldn't) judge you as you're there with mostly the same goals as them.

No weights today, but I finally got off my arse and went to the gym this evening. Just half an hour on the cross trainer to get me started, going to move on to weights next visit.

Annoyingly, everyone there is built like tanks, so I'll be a little self conscious of my tiny arms.

Don't worry about being smaller compared to the rest, all gotta start somewhere!

In fact a lot of proper lifters have a good level of respect for starters! Only times people take the mickey is when you lift with an ego!

Low weight in order to keep 100% form - How much you lift is irrelevant, form is everything!

Is there a good level to start at?

I'm 30, not hugely built (Apart from the gut!!)...

Looking to do some lifting but I'm not fussed about bulking up massively, just toning and fat loss really. I never know if I should be lifting stuff that's not very heavy but doing lots of reps, or if I should be lifting things that I consider quite heavy and doing less reps.

For beginners, everything 3 sets of 10 IMO, starting very easy and increasing as the weeks go by. Don't be tempted to go for either high volume or high reps in the beginning because you'll only injure yourself. (I've had several injuries from doing both).

Concentrate on the big lifts IMO. A good beginner routine to stick with is deadlifts, squats, bench press, overhead press and cable lat pull downs. Start with bar only (20kg bar) for each and add weight when you need it.

It's really important to learn form properly and to see what your body is like and your personal weirdnesses. For example, most people prefer to deadlift barefoot but I use the same shoes I squat in which have a solid heel and a heel lift, most people find this sets the bar too low in relation to their shins but I have very long arms for my height (5'10" tall, 6'2" arm span), so it puts me in the correct position at the bottom of the deadlift.

Read lots on the internet, go try things out, then read more on the internet, then try it out again. Lifting really can be approached as a science IMO, which is one of the reasons I love it so much. Every workout is an experiment for me. :P

Whats peoples routines on here? Think I'm gonna mix mine up and hit chest and back on the same day and put it in twice a week

pull push legs x 2

Whats peoples routines on here? Think I'm gonna mix mine up and hit chest and back on the same day and put it in twice a week

chest/back

legs

delts arms

repeat

or pull/push/legs

:)

For beginners, everything 3 sets of 10 IMO, starting very easy and increasing as the weeks go by. Don't be tempted to go for either high volume or high reps in the beginning because you'll only injure yourself. (I've had several injuries from doing both).

Concentrate on the big lifts IMO. A good beginner routine to stick with is deadlifts, squats, bench press, overhead press and cable lat pull downs. Start with bar only (20kg bar) for each and add weight when you need it.

It's really important to learn form properly and to see what your body is like and your personal weirdnesses. For example, most people prefer to deadlift barefoot but I use the same shoes I squat in which have a solid heel and a heel lift, most people find this sets the bar too low in relation to their shins but I have very long arms for my height (5'10" tall, 6'2" arm span), so it puts me in the correct position at the bottom of the deadlift.

Read lots on the internet, go try things out, then read more on the internet, then try it out again. Lifting really can be approached as a science IMO, which is one of the reasons I love it so much. Every workout is an experiment for me. :P

agree with this, start by getting as much benifit from as little work, that way you can increase volume/frequency/weight as you progress

another point i feel is very important do not neglect rear delts/upper back/traps

this is why push pull legs is best to start to prevent the shoulder imbalances that everyone gets from to much pressing (kyphosis)

Are you doing front squats?

If not, do!

Paused front squats and "slow down, paused and then explosive up" (im sure theres a better name for them) normal squats seem to get me trough any squat plateaus.

I hit 130Kg x3 on squat with good depth, so I'll be going for the 140kg next month.

I generally avoid front squats as I struggle to support the weight on my front delt/chest rather than my arms. Just not built for them. :(

Pretty f**king chuffed with the gym on Tuesday. I wanted to test where my 1RM deadlift has gotten to and pulled 200kg. The initial pull off the ground was slow, but the rest of the lift was eeeeeasy, so I reckon I could pull ~210kg if I can get the leg drive sorted.

I wanted to test squat today and aim for a 170kg lift, but I accidentally went out last night and now I'm feeling a touch rough, and I'm going skiing this evening so won't be able to lift for a week :(

Pretty f**king chuffed with the gym on Tuesday. I wanted to test where my 1RM deadlift has gotten to and pulled 200kg. The initial pull off the ground was slow, but the rest of the lift was eeeeeasy, so I reckon I could pull ~210kg if I can get the leg drive sorted.

I wanted to test squat today and aim for a 170kg lift, but I accidentally went out last night and now I'm feeling a touch rough, and I'm going skiing this evening so won't be able to lift for a week :(

I'm skiing too on Sunday, my chalet has a 'gym' but I don't imagine it will be anything heavy enough for a workout. Probably just a spin bike and running machine.

Excited nonetheless :)

stronglad :D bopped a 110kg bench press for reps today. made a 170kg squat and a 180 deadlift earlier on too. puts me nicely in the 1000lbs club. now i need to start a food diary and stop being a fat f**ker :(