The Gym Thread...

downhill_rob2@hotmail.com

Really liking the 5 smaller meals way of eating

The other advantage is that you burn about 40 calories every time you eat (body needs to produce heat to digest), so if you eat little and often you actually burn more calories = winner!

Eating meals that are approximately 200=250 calories that's actually quite a considerable amount. I'm really struggling to get my calories in though, I've had 1131 today and have had 2 llama burgers (for the extravagant student), brown rice, eggs, zebra sausages (blame musclefood), veggies and a bowl of tuna mayo.

Perfect diet for cutting, but you do have to eat every 2 hours-ish otherwise you're not hungry but you haven't had enough!

• Like 1

Eating meals that are approximately 200=250 calories that's actually quite a considerable amount. I'm really struggling to get my calories in though, I've had 1131 today and have had 2 llama burgers (for the extravagant student), brown rice, eggs, zebra sausages (blame musclefood), veggies and a bowl of tuna mayo.

Perfect diet for cutting, but you do have to eat every 2 hours-ish otherwise you're not hungry but you haven't had enough!

Whole Milk, powdered oats, whey and pure peanut butter mixed up in a shaker = Sorted - contains everything you need, better than any meal replacement, gainer shake etc on the market at a fraction of the cost. Throw some of these in between meals, id say they have 500ish quality calories! I have two a day and they are very good at filling the gap.

Also the whole eat every two hours may not be the best way to go, i eat a constant supply of food, worked much better for me then every two hours. Maybe try that or have read a few studies that starving the body 4 hours between meals is good too, it is something to do with uptake of amino acids etc and synthesis. I cant really remember the details because it didn't work for me but it has worked for a few training buddys.

On another note, good leg day deadlifted 170kg 5 reps for 4 sets so that will be going up next week, alot! :D

Whole Milk, powdered oats, whey and pure peanut butter mixed up in a shaker = Sorted - contains everything you need, better than any meal replacement, gainer shake etc on the market at a fraction of the cost. Throw some of these in between meals, id say they have 500ish quality calories! I have two a day and they are very good at filling the gap.

Also the whole eat every two hours may not be the best way to go, i eat a constant supply of food, worked much better for me then every two hours. Maybe try that or have read a few studies that starving the body 4 hours between meals is good too, it is something to do with uptake of amino acids etc and synthesis. I cant really remember the details because it didn't work for me but it has worked for a few training buddys.

On another note, good leg day deadlifted 170kg 5 reps for 4 sets so that will be going up next week, alot! :D

I agree, I want something like that to provide me with 'quality' calories rather than processed sh*t. Every two hours feels like it works for me, just need to add another meal in! Going by the rule that you can have 9 calories for every lb of body you have (bodybuilding.com told me this), I can cut at around 1400 calories as long as I once a week have a high carbs day in order to keep my metabolism up.

This is all new to me really, as I never really thought about my diet as something that was so important. Learning a lot about what I need/ don't need to eat to feel healthy and trim down.

Did legs tonight, everything is 5 x 8 reps

80kg squats and 130kg leg press, going to compare next week to see what I do and see if i've improved. Reckon I could push leg press quite a lot more!

I can leg press a HUGE amount more than I can squat, leg press keeps everything straight for you so you can concentrate on pushing rather than balance. You can't possibly hurt yourself either.. Is it a free weight leg press or a cabled one? As the cabled ones the actual weight lifted tends to be less than is indicated.

Edit: also don't bother putting peanut butter in hot chocolate- it's like a turd floating near my upper lip.

Edited by TrialsIsHard

I can leg press a HUGE amount more than I can squat, leg press keeps everything straight for you so you can concentrate on pushing rather than balance. You can't possibly hurt yourself either.. Is it a free weight leg press or a cabled one? As the cabled ones the actual weight lifted tends to be less than is indicated.

Edit: also don't bother putting peanut butter in hot chocolate- it's like a turd floating near my upper lip.

I'd be hesitant to say that about anything in the gym to be honest. Leg press isn't 100% foolproof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkKJ4KFnklI

The biggest issue is locking your legs out - especially if you have a hyper mobile knee joint. Additionally, you can stress your back depending on the geometry of the leg press you're using

I'd be hesitant to say that about anything in the gym to be honest. Leg press isn't 100% foolproof.

The biggest issue is locking your legs out - especially if you have a hyper mobile knee joint. Additionally, you can stress your back depending on the geometry of the leg press you're using

Of course I was exaggerating a bit, if you're retarded you can hurt yourself doing anything!

I haven't watched the video as it says *warning graphic* and I'm eating some food, but I can imagine her leg bends and crumples under the weight. Yeah you can lock your knees out, which is a terrible idea but if you're on one that the seat remains static and the weights move like this:

workout-machines-to-avoid-useless-workou

you're pretty darn safe compared with a free-weight squat. The ones where the seat moves up an inclined plane are horrible due to the angle at which you push at encouraging you to lock-out.

edit: the text on the image wasn't me, and isn't true.

Edited by TrialsIsHard

Is anyone having brown rice tonight? If so could they weigh how much one protein scoop (27g) of rice (uncooked) weighs when cooked? I'm at uni and we don't have scales, I use the scoop to measure put one serving but need to know how much it weighs cooked for calorie purposes. A big ask I know! ;)

i deadlifted 190 today, was a proper ugly scraper of a maneuver but i'm now superbly close to my 1000lbs club. next week i'll be in :D

just skim reading this, good to see your still at it dude! strength training/ weightlifting in my book is always worth doing if your into sport, especially our sport.

i do a hybrid of both strength and hypertrophy and always have done, at the moment im on a hypertrophy phase but i can still manage 200kg sqaut, always pays to have a bare minimum lift to maintain weightwise.

first few pages on this topic are pure gold! especially the young lads in 2005 going on about decca! :bow: "wonna put on muscle? just jab up" hahaha, i would really hope and suggest that people dont do that. good diet high in protein and big lifts will always outweigh gear in my opinion. even when your late 30's mid 40s, big lifts cause a test spike ;)

my 50pence worth.

I just went back to the start of this thread and found this. I chortled.

I don't do weights, but in a gym, on one of them sit down quad weighty flexy thing, I can lift 83kg, which isn't bad for someone who doesn't like weights. whistling.gif

I prefere chin ups/push ups/sit ups/etc, I find working muscle groups more effective than singular muscles. Soon as I can afford gym membership I'm going to join, I really want to do more CV work. smile.gif

Eating meals that are approximately 200=250 calories that's actually quite a considerable amount. I'm really struggling to get my calories in though, I've had 1131 today

Jesus, wish I struggled to eat, can easily put away 1200 or more in one relatively healthy meal!

Jesus, wish I struggled to eat, can easily put away 1200 or more in one relatively healthy meal!

Once you start eating small meals, your stomach shrinks and you're full SO much easier.

I've been eating like that for a month now, and tonight I struggled to eat 1.5 cups (400g) brown rice, (200g) chicken breast, a handful of broccoli and some pasta sauce.

Today was carb refeed day, as they have been cut a fair bit in my diet. I ate that meal twice today and feel like I've eaten a football!

Today was squats and abs day for me (strange I know) but these were the things left out of my workouts this week. I squatted 70kg for 8x8, which is pretty terrible but definitely something to work on. In more positive news I have got my deadlift sorted and can do 80kg 6x8, and feel comfortable enough to start racking the weight up. :)

That's not an completely unreasonable amount, depending on the macro's of that meal and how much exercise you're doing. (I also saw that status!)

I tend to make a meal, with approximately the same calories as yours tonight, and divide it into two/three takeaway containers eating once at 4:30 and again at 7:30. By the time 7:30 comes around chances are you're not starving hungry and could easily have a yoghurt or something less calorie dense and save it for tomorrow.

Deadlifted 160kg for 1 this morning after 2 weeks off waiting for my shoulder to heal. That'll do. :)

EDIT: Means I'm a member of the 750lb club now! 160kg deadlift, 120kg squat and 70kg bench. Adds up to 350kg/770lb.

Edited by Muel

My bench is very low. My triceps are by far my weakest body part but they're improving slowly.

Very simple chest day, flat bench, then incline bench, then decline bench. Generally 5-6 sets each. 2 warm sets then as many working sets as I need until I get to 2/3RM. Has started working much better since I dropped flys, they were hammering my left shoulder joint.