The Gym Thread...

downhill_rob2@hotmail.com

How do wrist straps help? Nice work though man

they put some of the load into your wrists, the other benefit is that if you refuse to alternate your grip the bar will try and roll out of your hands if you wrap the bar correctly it will try and roll into your grip helping with the hold.

also 180kg squat just below parallel!

Managed 150kg squat for 8 reps today, did 80 - 100 - 120 - 130 sets first.

Also 115 (max stack}) on seated rows. 100 rows dropping a plate after max effort at each plate.

Quite happy with my size and weights now. How do I start training in some more chiselled definition now?

A few HIIT sessions a week, and drop your calories down by 50 calories a week until you're at your BMR. As soon as you're in the caloric deficit, you'll notice you lose a lot of water weight and look leaner fairly quickly. Where's your body fat percentage at the moment?

Ogre, what does 'bossing' on weighted tricep dips entail? I think I could do a 20kg for a few reps.. but I am tiny :P

they put some of the load into your wrists, the other benefit is that if you refuse to alternate your grip the bar will try and roll out of your hands if you wrap the bar correctly it will try and roll into your grip helping with the hold.

also 180kg squat just below parallel!

I'm envious of your lifts. Nice squat and nice deadlift a few pages back!

I'll just remind myself I weight 20 odd Kilos less than you to make myself feel better.

Worrying curve in the bottom 1/3 of your spine there dude...

I've packed it all in, time to do something else

Top lifts were:

Bench 75kg

Overhead 60kg

Squat 120kg

Deadlift 160kg

Leg press 280kg

I did StrongLifts when I started.

As a novice, you've probably got about a year of gains on either Starting Strength or Stronglifts. Beyond that, you can move to 3x5 and then 1x5.

Only downside is they focus so heavily on squats (i.e. EVERY SESSION), you don't develop upper body strength at the same rate, so I prefer Greyskull LP as a 'powerbuilding' program. http://strengthvillain.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=89

It focuses on 3 working sets of the main lifts, 2x5, then 1xAMRAP. I found it gave me continued strength gains and more balanced aesthetic gains. You can ignore "Neck Harness", just do some shrugs and stretches :P.

You seem to do a lot of volume, so if you want strength, drop some sets and add more weight.