The Gym Thread...

downhill_rob2@hotmail.com

Started training again and looking at getting my basic diet sorted out. I've done a fair bit of research into eggs and after reading this have got my breakfast sorted out. 4 pieces of toast with peanut butter, followed by 6 eggs made into a quick microwave omelette.

Thing I'm struggling to find enough info on though is how much tuna is safe? I know it's high in mercury but I could happily eat a can a day of it. I've read so much conflicting info it's silly. Just wondering if anyone has faced the same dilemma?

Started training again and looking at getting my basic diet sorted out. I've done a fair bit of research into eggs and after reading this have got my breakfast sorted out. 4 pieces of toast with peanut butter, followed by 6 eggs made into a quick microwave omelette.

Thing I'm struggling to find enough info on though is how much tuna is safe? I know it's high in mercury but I could happily eat a can a day of it. I've read so much conflicting info it's silly. Just wondering if anyone has faced the same dilemma?

yea i read about it, then realised i eat plenty of other crap.

supposedly anymore than 3 tins a week puts you at risk, but ive slammed 15+ cans a week before for like a month solid, and im still here, as are plenty of people who eat the stuff by the boatload.

thats rather a large breakfast.

im counting 75g of fat and 1300 calories in that breakfast at a rough guess. in fact im counting more grams of fat than protein. which in my opinion isnt ideal.

Not 6 full eggs, 2 full and 4 whites. Plus I have no marg, just peanut butter and spread it fairly thin.

Not worked it out yet but I can't see it being anything like 1300cal, maybe 900-1000. Going to weigh everything tomorrow and do the maths as I make it.

Not 6 full eggs, 2 full and 4 whites. Plus I have no marg, just peanut butter and spread it fairly thin.

Not worked it out yet but I can't see it being anything like 1300cal, maybe 900-1000. Going to weigh everything tomorrow and do the maths as I make it.

How the hell could you possibly eat that much for breakfast anyway? I could probably chuck down half of that without feeling properly weighed down for the day. It's worth bearing in mind that the seriously serious guys would prefer to eat 6 small meals a day than 3 big ones - it gives your body a far easier digestive task and as such makes the most of what your food contains.

With great ease. :P I eat a lot on a normal day as it is, so whenever I've trained in the past 3500 cal is my normal intake, keeping it as clean as I can. Plus I like large breakfasts, (which that isn't for me to be honest). Thinking I might drop to 2 slices of toast though.

I'm having 4 meals atm, breakfast at 8am, lunch at 12, snack at 4, tea at 8. Fits in around work and training nicely.

6 egg whites and 2 yolks gives 220 calories, 11g fat, 3.2g saturates and 28g protein if my calculations are correct. With yolks it's a different story. :P

Edited by Muel

With great ease. :P I eat a lot on a normal day as it is, so whenever I've trained in the past 3500 cal is my normal intake, keeping it as clean as I can. Plus I like large breakfasts, (which that isn't for me to be honest). Thinking I might drop to 2 slices of toast though.

I'm having 4 meals atm, breakfast at 8am, lunch at 12, snack at 4, tea at 8. Fits in around work and training nicely.

Where's the 4th meal? A drink at 8 doesn't count :P

Anyway, do what you like food wise, I've never bothered doing it right except for running so my only knowledge is theoretical.

Where's the 4th meal? A drink at 8 doesn't count :P

Anyway, do what you like food wise, I've never bothered doing it right except for running so my only knowledge is theoretical.

Lol f**k off, "dinner" then. Plan is to follow my old "max bulk" diet for a month, see what happens fat wise and then tweak it to suit my new "max bulk whilst sticking around this fat level so I get better at climbing" diet.

Edited by Muel

im counting 75g of fat and 1300 calories in that breakfast at a rough guess. in fact im counting more grams of fat than protein. which in my opinion isnt ideal.

Just worked it all out with the RDA percentage (Not that I pay any attention to them really. :P):

Protein: 60.58g (110.15%)

Fat: 41.84g (44.04%)

Saturates: 11.51g (42.63%)

Calories: 819.99 (29.29%)

Sugar: 8.45g(22.53%)

Carbohydrate: 45.56g (16.57%)

Pretty much perfect IMO. Would ideally prefer to see lower fat, but meh.

Probably the best place to ask this.

Have those of you who worked out through the winter noticed an improvement in your riding?

Simply, Yes.

Not so simply, without working out in previous winters i noticed that come spring i had to get my body to readjust to moving the trials bike around again. At the very least doing pushups, chinups and a few squats every week kept me at the same level last year, where as this winter i'll be going for full on size/strength gaining over winter so hopefully i'll be seeing a marked improvement next spring.

• Like 1

I've started back at rugby, been back about 5 weeks. training once a week. and a game on saturdays! but most night ill be doin weights. after I do my routine my arms, shoulders. mainly upper body is weak for about 10 mins, but in the morning im still stiff! I "warm down" as such, but a guy at work says shakes will help repair the muscles. I never tried them, and will they work? so which ones best? there too many out there, tried researching, but they all say "theres" is the best!

I work on mainly on upper body and work the legs in the game.

Shakes are a supplement, as in they add a little extra protein to your already protein rich diet. I like mint chocolate pharma whey, heard myprotein is pretty good too. Just nip into your local elf foods or holland and barrett and see which is on buy one get one free.

Protein and vitamin C are required to help repair muscle tissue, so yes a couple of small shakes and some fruit/juice will help repait muscles. As will sleep and not over-training. You want to properly train 2-3 muscle groups in one session and leave 7 days before doing that set of muscles again. Don't go everyday, you never give your body chance to drop cortisol levels and so you'll either plataeu or decline in strength/size. Cortisol also sppresses your immune system and can cause depression and mood swings.

Legs, back, shoulders, biceps, triceps, forearms, chest and core are the main areas to train.

Train for 1-2 hours, testosterone peaks at around 60 minutes and declines rapidly after that so 3-4 hour sessions are pointless. Get 7-8 hours decent sleep a night and you'll repair tissue faster than 4-5 hours of interrupted sleep.

Also, give yourself some rest. At the very least have a day of rest in between each gym session.

Also, some slight stiffness is good. The saying no pain, no gain has a point. If you've got DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) then you've hopefully been training your muscles hard enough. I tend to find if i've done my workout properly then my muscle group (biceps for example) will be fatigued the next day, sore for the 2-4th days and should be fine after that. If i relax my diet and have pizza with no protein on the side it can be up to 7 days for the soreness to disspate from a properly worked out muscle.

Simply, Yes.

Not so simply, without working out in previous winters i noticed that come spring i had to get my body to readjust to moving the trials bike around again. At the very least doing pushups, chinups and a few squats every week kept me at the same level last year, where as this winter i'll be going for full on size/strength gaining over winter so hopefully i'll be seeing a marked improvement next spring.

Perhaps I wasn't specific enough, meant working out as in trying to gain some strength rather than just stay in shape. General workout does help a lot, last winter I worked out regularily (MA classes) and that made a huge difference in getting back into riding when spring came. Me and a few of my riding friends are thinking about doing some strength gaining in the winter, we've all got our techinque pretty much dialled but we fall out on power compared to the new generation TGS crowd.

after reading that O need to look at my daily routine different! ahai will be getting a multi gym in my garage within the next few days. but my diet sucks! I really do eat poor! just junk really! but I do need to get bigger! im classed as a "small" flanker! Coach says in technically good, but I feel I can do more.

Quick question; what is creatine?

after reading that O need to look at my daily routine different! ahai will be getting a multi gym in my garage within the next few days. but my diet sucks! I really do eat poor! just junk really! but I do need to get bigger! im classed as a "small" flanker! Coach says in technically good, but I feel I can do more.

I've got weights at mine too if you ever fancy a training buddy? Also, I've got some of the strawberry total protein from myprotein which is really nice and v good service from them!

Edited by kaybs41282

Basically I just want to know if I'm better off taking protein shakes or creatine and just wanted a quick summary as to why one may go down each route?

there is no reason not to take both. or a reason to take either.

Ive never really got on with creatine, I often think its more of a placebo than anything else.

protein shakes arent really necessary, but they often are due to time commitments.

if you can be bothered cooking turkey for breakfast, id take 200g of turkey breast over a protein shake every time, but truth of the matter is, shakes are just a quick, easy, convenient, cheap way of getting protein in you. the reason the stuff is so popular is basically that,making that one quick change of adding a shake a day, makes a noticeable difference to your training.

so if your eating the right amount of calories per day, and just growing very slowly, eating 3 square normal meals a day, suddenly adding a 4th "meal" in a protein shake is upping your calories and your protein, so you start seeing results quicker.

I have a shake in the morning to start my day, its basically my breakfast substitute, its an extremely poor substitute for breakfast, but given the fact i leave the house at 6:15, and wont stop for a break till about 9:30, its about my only chance to get protein in that time and there is no way im going to be cooking steak and sweet potato at 6:00 in the morning.

if your choosing one, choose protein, but its a supplement, its there to supplement a healthy diet which shouldnt be far off being right in the first place.

but im preaching what i sure as hell dont practice, I've got an awful diet for most of the time.

there is no reason not to take both. or a reason to take either.

Ive never really got on with creatine, I often think its more of a placebo than anything else.

I'd just like to echo this and add that because i'm not used to drinking enough water normally, the added water intake meant i was going for a piss way to many times in the day. It just wasn't convenient or practical.

I also found if i didn't drink enough water i would get a build up of lactic acid quicker, which in laymans terms meant that 30 minutes into a trials session i was getting cramps in my biceps and shoulders and it was just generally a pain in the back side.

On a plus note i had the holland and barrett own brand one in grapefruit which when mixed with summer fruits squash made for a delicious drink!

So, I've started going back to the gym again, my cardio has never been good, it doesn't matter how hard I train, I just don't seem to have it in me. Anyway, I go to the gym for about 9am, but I'm not eating before I go, but I generally feel sick after pushing it cardio wise. Is this because I'm not eating? And should I try to eat before I go to the gym? (I'm not trying to bulk up at all, lean is my goal more than enormous) Also, I'm spending a lot of my cardio time between the rowing machine and bike, like let's say at least a third of my time on each, in the sense that, I might do 15 mins bike, 15 mins rower, 15 mins cross trainer one week, then 30 mins bike, 15 mins rower the next etc. I can't run on treadmills for shit, so that's out of the question, is there a better way to spread my time, or is mixing it up gonna be the best to get my cardio anywhere near acceptable :P

Thank ye all. And I realise it's not really weight training, but similar shit.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the mercury in tuna. Tuna is quite high in selenium, an antioxidant which has been shown to bind to heavy metals like mercury which causes it not to be toxic.

http://chriskresser.com/is-eating-fish-safe-a-lot-safer-than-not-eating-fish

Just started to get back into the gym properly anyways never really had a meal plan but ive made one up and just wanted to know any advice if there are things that can be improved. Im looking to bulk up a bit but just with muscle if possible.

Meal 1: 4 eggs with 2 bits of wholemeal bread

Meal 2: Protein shake with porridge oats mixed through it and bowl of nutty cereal will finish off whats left of a pint of milk drinking it

Meal 3: Chiken with salad and cheese and a yogurt

Meal 4: Protein shake with banana

Meal 5: Chiken with pasta and veg

Meal 6: After a sesh at the gym Protein shake with a yogurt.

Will try and throw in the odd tin of tuna also from time to time.

Also advice on best kind of protein shakes would also be helpful. Ive just bought a tub of promax extreme by maximuscle i know there probably overpriced and its not worth the money but thought i would give it a try.

Also use jack3d as a pre work out drink.

Think thats about it so any advice would be great

Thanks

Edited by greg1040

Just started to get back into the gym properly anyways never really had a meal plan but ive made one up and just wanted to know any advice if there are things that can be improved. Im looking to bulk up a bit but just with muscle if possible.

Meal 1: 4 eggs with 2 bits of wholemeal bread

Meal 2: Protein shake with porridge oats mixed through it and bowl of nutty cereal will finish off whats left of a pint of milk drinking it

Meal 3: Chiken with salad and cheese and a yogurt

Meal 4: Protein shake with banana

Meal 5: Chiken with pasta and salad

Meal 6: After a sesh at the gym Protein shake with a yogurt.

Will try and throw in the odd tin of tuna also from time to time.

Also advice on best kind of protein shakes would also be helpful. Ive just bought a tub of promax extreme by maximuscle i know there probably overpriced and its not worth the money but thought i would give it a try.

Also use jack3d as a pre work out drink.

Think thats about it so any advice would be great

Thanks

obviously dont know your sizes of portions or total ingredients etc but looks a bit lean. at a guess fats a bit too low, as are the carbs. im counting 3 protein shakes, now dependant on how much is in each shake (1 or 2 scoops) id say thats too much.

just counting on each shake being a pint, with 2 scoops in it. thats circa 125g of protein, 300g of chicken, thats another 120g, 4 eggs, thats another 25g,thats 260g of protein, which seems like too much to me.

dont get me wrong, that diet is super healthy and will lean you out no end, i just dont see you packing on much muscle with it. but obviously its down to serving size.

Hey the shakes are 1 scoop per serving which gives me 25g of protein per serving.

Both servings of chiken add up to 200g.

Serving size couldnt really say to be exact on much else.

Not looking to massivly bulk up just a bit broader but mainly looking to get more ripped than anything so i guess i could incorporate more carbs somehwere.

Also drink around 3 litres of water a day.

Thanks.

Edited by greg1040