Ultimate Rear Brake Combo?

mad_gavo

Right me rear brake has recently been rubbish to say the least :angry: And with my lovely new frame all built up and riding lovely the brake is really letting the side down. Even sunk as low as putting tar on today but to no avail. still pooh but with more noise :P .

My current setup is a koxx rim and koxx browns which used to work the bomb but now dosnt do anything. i think this is because the koxx rim is getting on for 2 years old now and after many grinds the surface is uneven to say the least :P .

So its time for new pads and a new rim what is the best combo out at the moment has to be 36 hoole mind so that unfortunatly rules out the new echo rims :D

Im currently thinking a ronnie as i like a grind and ive heard they hold them nicely. + if i get it from tartybikes i could get a nice grind done for a £1 according to the site :P But as for pads i have no idea ive only ridden with koxx browns and reds in my time :ermm:

So advise appreciated please Gavin :P

d521/ex721 rims for the best strength and grind ability-you cant beat them! trouble is im guessing you require a wide rim, of which the only rim i would recomend is the onza ronnie from experience-perhaps the new echo rim-but thats only an idea...

pad wise, koxx browns are mighty good (the best in the wet) but for the dry plaz crms are the way forward

of course if you want a decent rear brake, a v-brake is the way forward :angry: none of that magura crap :ermm:

Strongest rim i would say really is a d521 in my opinion, But like paul said you probally want a wide rim .... My mate is a quite a harsh rider and rims out quite a bit and his ronnie hasnt dented once so from what i've seen and heard i think a ronnie. As for the brake set up plaz crm's with a meduim grind is the best brake set up i've ever ran.

Strongest rim i would say really is a d521 in my opinion, But like paul said you probally want a wide rim .... My mate is a quite a harsh rider and rims out quite a bit and his ronnie hasnt dented once so from what i've seen and heard i think a ronnie. As for the brake set up plaz crm's with a meduim grind is the best brake set up i've ever ran.

ha ha :)

Thats me isn't it ben? I wouldn't say i was a harsh rider i just forget to land properly sometimes, but the ronnie may have a small tiny dent on the left side of the rim (adjustable spanner will have it sorted in about 3 seconds). I really do need to run higher tyre pressures. :P

ronnie rim with really harsh grind

magura bled properly with magura royal blood (water will just freeze up this time of year plus magura bloods better :) )

heatsink blue pads

i've been running the above although with an old echo cnc rim for a with and its awesome, brake feels so solid with plenty of bite, but modulation when needed, wet or dry its good and the grind still seems to last, but thats probably because i went a bit ott with the grinder :P

Edited by shovel

yer im afraif 521's and v brakes are out of the question as i have one of these new school frames with 4 bolt mounts etc :P :P

So ronnie seems to be the rim of choice so il probably go for that. The braking surface looks nice and deep to which should make setting up the brake easier and more acurate too :)

So what pads work best on a ronnie? (with a grind BTW)

And with my lovely new frame

My current setup is a koxx rim and koxx browns

Sorry to sound dense but are you using a booster? It could be that your old frame had no seat stay flex and so didn't need one, but your new frame does need a booster

If you havent got a booster one, then i guarantee it wont feel as good as with one on, and wont work as well.

I was running my frame without a booster and it felt shit, and was no wear near reliable. Bosh an echo control booster on there or something.

Otherwise, try the ronnie rim and koxx yellows combo. With a decent grind you wont be dissapointed.

Dont be daft and buy a Ronnie.

Either get a EX721(D521), Onza/V!Z rim(V!z do slightly narrower rims) or i think there is a Sun rim that is pretty cool.

All of those rims take grinds well.

As for pads, there is a varied choice.

For something that is going to work in all weather conditions; Green Koxx Bloxx, Heatsink Blues(bestis pads :P ), possibley Browns.

Brake booster? If you are going to think about a new booster, then definately invest into the Heatsink booster. Very similar in looks to the Echo Control one, but stiffer, deeper and cheaper!

Keep with a fresh Magura bleed, using mineral oil, to keep the braking performance consistant.

try and find one of the old 42mm try all rims.... got mine built onto a king from ebay a year back (second hand too! ) and barely straightened it!! amaziing stuff.

It takes 10ft drop stacks, big pinches, 180s, 360s, sideway gaps and doesnt buckle or dent one big! and im a harsh as hell rider from time to time!

im running heatsinks (the old lellow jobbies) on it fine - without a grind! works well, if the brake is settup bang on perfect!

i dont need any more..... considering a grind, but its too much hassle lol

:P

Edited by skandy32

Not running a booster as the frame has a built in one and is mega stiff :P

thats not the problem - its the bolts bendin and the frame twisting - can still happen even if youve got some silly machined bit on your bike. the booster stops the top of the bolts (and therefore brake) splaying outwards.

Guaranteed it will be better with a booster on top.

lol well when i say perfect i ment ok. But it is not event that good anymore :)

I may consider getting a booster as well if i can find one that will fit as at least it will also protect the cross over hose :lol:

Also i want a slightly narrower rim due to having not alot of clearence between my maggie and my cranks. and with full pads i dont think it would run.

Anyway i decided on a ronnie and im still thinking on pads :P

got more time now though as tartybikes are closed this week :$ :D

So i may have to be inventive to get my brake working for the weekend so i can go out and ride although it may be an excuse to rest my dodgy back :)