The Top Gear Thread

Smo™

Erm maybe im out of my depth here?

But top gear is something to look forward too!

I think about it sometimes when im busting my ass up a shitter of a hill on my road bike.

I think about English things like hammond / may and clarkson.

Oh and I love being f**ked out of breath!

x

What's the retail on something like that? Mythbusters must have like 10 of the things.

Currently $17k for a body, by the time you've added some rails, handles and a viewfinder and monitoring screen it'll be $25k. Oh, and a set of RED prime lenses is $19k, with $2k knocked off the 300mm if you order at the same time for the bargain price of $4k.

Mythbusters (and some stuff on Top Gear) is shot at a lot more than 120fps! Most shoots requiring super slo-mo is either hired or low res. It's why the high speed footage on Mythbusters looks so bad :)

Looks like we'll get the ZR1 in the next episode, can't wait to see what that thing is capable of. Now that Americans have started making proper cars, things could get quite interesting.

1:19-1:20ish lap time at a guess?

More than that, 1:25+. The ZR-1 doesn't handle, but that's not much of a problem on the TG track as it's all about power. Which the Corvette has lots of. Even though it's rubbish.

Oh and I love being f**ked out of breath!

Thank you for that. Come again.

No, ewww, don't.

Currently $17k for a body, by the time you've added some rails, handles and a viewfinder and monitoring screen it'll be $25k. Oh, and a set of RED prime lenses is $19k, with $2k knocked off the 300mm if you order at the same time for the bargain price of $4k.

Mythbusters (and some stuff on Top Gear) is shot at a lot more than 120fps! Most shoots requiring super slo-mo is either hired or low res. It's why the high speed footage on Mythbusters looks so bad :)

More than that, 1:25+. The ZR-1 doesn't handle, but that's not much of a problem on the TG track as it's all about power. Which the Corvette has lots of. Even though it's rubbish.

Thank you for that. Come again.

No, ewww, don't.

gambon and the final corner is where people loose alot of time... id say its pretty even to be honest.

gambon and the final corner is where people loose alot of time... id say its pretty even to be honest.

I think Gambon is the final corner... ;)

Look down the lap list - assuming that it's accurate and not just made up to fit the urge of the programme makers - and you'll see at the top are cars like the SLR and the Veyron. Not great handling cars. Where the top cars make up time is the first straight and the run from the hammerhead to the last but one corner. There's no long testing corners, bumps, undulations or anything of that which would require handling.

I actually watched Fifth Gear for the first time ever today. It was almost physically painful at times seeing how badly they were biting Top Gear's style in almost every sense. They've got slightly fancier graphics, but everything else just appeared to be a poor imitation, not to mention the main two presenters appear to be utter c**ts.

I actually watched Fifth Gear for the first time ever today. It was almost physically painful at times seeing how badly they were biting Top Gear's style in almost every sense. They've got slightly fancier graphics, but everything else just appeared to be a poor imitation, not to mention the main two presenters appear to be utter c**ts.

Pretty much, but Needell, Plato and VBH nearly make up for that, they're sections are always good.

I generally watch online and skip the shitty bits with the dickheads in the studio.

Look down the lap list - assuming that it's accurate and not just made up to fit the urge of the programme makers - and you'll see at the top are cars like the SLR and the Veyron. Not great handling cars. Where the top cars make up time is the first straight and the run from the hammerhead to the last but one corner. There's no long testing corners, bumps, undulations or anything of that which would require handling.

Yeah but how high are things like the exige, ariel atom etc. The follow through straight coming up to the last corner was probably their downfall as you say but chicago, hammerhead and the last two corners obviously gave them enough oppourtunity to make up some time.

Yeah but how high are things like the exige, ariel atom etc. The follow through straight coming up to the last corner was probably their downfall as you say but chicago, hammerhead and the last two corners obviously gave them enough oppourtunity to make up some time.

The Atom and Exige both run barely legal slicks, and both have a lot of power (hence good power/weight ratios) so make up time under acceleration. The Exige also has the advantage of decent aero to help stabilise the car through the faster sections.

Still not any real measure of a car.

It was the BBC crew, and yes, the 120fps bits were shot on a RED One (As were the normal speed bits too...)

Im tempted to say it was more 300fps. Did a YouTube search and all the 120fps stuff was running too quickly, even for slo-mo. Unless they shot it 120 and slowed that down... I dunno, im no expert at slo mo.

Anyone else been slightly disappointed with this first half of the series? It's been good but not as good as the last series. I am on the other hand, whenever they will decide to show it, really looking forward to the recreation of the Italian Job chase! And to add my 2p into the fifth gear chat, the beardy one (forgotten his name) writes articles for the Top Gear magazine, I find him to be the okay one of the team.

I was reading the comments on the Top Gear website for tonight's episode and saw a classic 'fail' comment.

post-6645-1249235474_thumb.png

I think it's called a reverse gear haha

If you find it not funny, I am very easily entertained at the moment due to lack of anything to do!

It's faster around the Ring than the Z06 and the Z06 did a 1:22 or something like that.

Anyway, according to Wikipedia it won't be featured in this episode. Which is rather odd because it's the last one and in the preview they had some kind of Ferrari and that ZR1 power sliding on the track.

It was called the Maloo... they didn't tell you where you could get it, but it has the exact same front end as the other car they had on.

I suspect it's a holden/vauxhall, but the logo on the maloo isn't the holden logo :S

I thought it was cool! You could stick bikes in the back B)

It was called the Maloo... they didn't tell you where you could get it, but it has the exact same front end as the other car they had on.

I suspect it's a holden/vauxhall, but the logo on the maloo isn't the holden logo :S

Yeah it's a Holden HSV Maloo UTE or some variation on that...

Edit: Ok, it's an HSV Maloo R8.