20 Year Old, Died While Trying To Bunnyhop A Curb.

tipus

Thats aweful. It really brings it home when its something so small like a bunny hop up a curb that killed him... It just shows how careful we should be, doing moves that we take for granted as being easy might not be so safe...

I will always wear a helmet to ride in.

RIP, my thoughts are with friends and family of Juri :

Don't buy one off eBay. You don't know if it's already had any impacts, and bearing in mind you're supposed to replace your helmet after one crash, you're putting yourself at risk. Equally, it HAS to fit. Just go around any Halfords or local bike shops and try stuff on. Try and have a go with someone's helmet on a ride or something too - just don't buy a random one off eBay...

Cheer's guy's but there's brand new giro helmets off ebay from stocker's.Iam really interested in this.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GIRO-Encinal-White-S...1QQcmdZViewItem

R.I.P dude..Why do bad thing's happen to good people :

New rider's out there..I have a t-f emotion for you

:helmet:

Edited by nickyw

Universal size = doesn't sound too good. If you go to Giro's website, they have a guide there for how to measure your head to get the correct size, but seriously, going to a bike shop and trying on helmets, then trying to get it online in the size you need is a waaaaaaaay better bet (Y)

Universal size = doesn't sound too good. If you go to Giro's website, they have a guide there for how to measure your head to get the correct size, but seriously, going to a bike shop and trying on helmets, then trying to get it online in the size you need is a waaaaaaaay better bet (Y)

Sound ill go halford's or something. (Y):)

not on bmx though.

Well he should, i'm not making my way down to Wales for his funeral. <_<

People who are saying it wouldn't have made much of a difference weather he was wearing his helmet or not is just stupid, because it could only have helped, and it could have saved his life, not matter how much you discuss it could have, and that's what's important. Seems to me people are saying that to justify not wearing one themselves.

Anyway, R.I.P dude.

It's never to hot to take off your helmet.

Edited by JT!

I will always wear my helmet even if its too hot as we have all done it when its too hot .. taken it off for that lil bit.

No 'we' haven't.

But people will still continue to not wear their helmets even after reading this thred. Even if it's 'too hot' or they're 'juts messing about on curbs'.

I've always ridden with a helmet, always. When I was younger, the day before an XC race I was mucking about in the park doing drop ins. Done it loads of times, but once I got it wrong.

The last thing I remember is the backwheel coming up, and the front diving down, slowly crossing up, then my memory just fades out.

The next thing I remember is sitting on the grass, my front wheel bent to 90 degrees, unable to focus my eyes on anything over about a foot away from my face, and with concussion. I went to hospital where they told me I'd pulled all the muscles in one shoulder, and of course my vision came back and the concussion went away.

Where I'd been practising these drops was 'just' the park and onto grass. Nothing normally which would cause a problem, until you start dropping onto your head from 10ft up. My helmet had completely smashed across my temple, and it really brought home to me how much impact it had absorbed. From then on, down the BMX track, trials, XC, whatever, I've always worn a helmet.

I would also advise that you don't buy mail order unless you know exactly what you want. You must try helmets on and take the one that fits the best. When I was working in a bike shop, I sent people to halfords if the ones we had weren't comfortable or didn't fit properly. You have to try on different brands, different sizes, and find one that's comfortable (otherwise you'll find excuses not to wear it), and a good, snug fit. A helmet should slop about on top of your head, but it shouldn't pinch anywhere either. Also, don't ride about with the straps undone. That's fine if you're standing around cooling off, but if you're riding with it like that, you may as well not bother.

When you're buying a helmet, look for a blue SNELL sticker inside it. The SNELL Institute is an independent body which tests cycle helmets to a high standard. Only helmets which pass these tests get the sticker.

Most of all, a helmet doesn't have to be expensive. It's nice to have an £80 Giro lid or somesuch, but there's no point buying the cheapest helmet you can find either. It's worth spending a little bit more (I'm sure Mum and Dad will help if you're a bit short of cash) to get a decent one. Also good brands tend to have crash replacement policies, in case the worst happens.

Sad news there.

I don't wear my helmet if I'm just in the village doing small stuff.

But I do wear it on rides, or if I'm trying new things.

(I have a Giro Havoc btw)

Just goes to show that even the smallest things can be fatal. :(

R.I.P.

Edited by Dan6061