Isis Bottom Brackets

Ben Geary

Well,

After running sqaure taper since I've started and now I've started to worry about my BB snapping all the time i've decided to get some good ISIS cranks and a good ISIS Bottom bracket, I've been looking at the Fsa Platinuim Bottom bracket. Are they anygood, will it last me or are they poo.

Also what size would i need if I'm going to running a front screw on ?

This one ?

Edited by Ben Geary

SKF BFR-600 owns all ISIS BB's. They have needle roller bearings, which can take about 10x the load of standard ball bearings. Ive had other ISIS BB's such as FSA Platinum DH, Tryall and they've been poo.

Took the words right out of my mouth. There about £55 (Off the top of my head) but well worth it as you wont be replacing it any time soon!

bought a fsa platinum bottom bracket for my jump bike and it bent within a few days, got a replacement and that bent the same day. had two truvative bottom brackets and the latest one is still going. the bearings go before it snaps/bends/anything.

i was just about to start a topic about isis bb's and all :- ... or even ring tarty bikes and ask them because they rule :D ...

wondering if anyone was had the same problem as me, iv snapped/bent 3 square taper bb's and the tapers on my cranks have become really loose (i know this may be my fault but oh well... shit happens)... i'm now looking for new isis cranks and a new isis bb (well when i say new i mean new to me... maybe, if they wern't all so expensive)

my money is limited as i still need a new frame, chain and stem so i would need to find some reasonably priced cranks and a cheapish bb, but they just don't seem to exist, buying cranks off tart would mean also buying a new bash (more money) and then having to buy a new bb aswell. worked out if i buy the echo cranks 6061 cranks (which i have heard are weak?) and the echo bash i have already worked up a hefty £72 before i have even looked at bottom brackets, and then finding a bb to fit ffw costs another 43, so thats £115? for just a set of cranks and a bb :(

are there any other options, i have already set up a topic in the for sale/wanted asking if anyone has any of the parts i need but i think im gonna have to end up buying new.

Edited by JoNnY__Mc

There seems to be some confusion about bottom brackets going on?

1 Because it's Isis doesnt mean the axle is less likely to snap!( ive seen a mate wreck one , quiclky)

2 Fsa bottom brackets are suspect.

3 Un 72 bb's are very strong.

4 Invest in an isis Dh bottom bracket,,,,thicker axle.

5...........As i said before, trials companies need to come up with a trials specific design.

:$

There seems to be some confusion about bottom brackets going on?

1 Because it's Isis doesnt mean the axle is less likely to snap!( ive seen a mate wreck one , quiclky)

2 Fsa bottom brackets are suspect.

3 Un 72 bb's are very strong.

4 Invest in an isis Dh bottom bracket,,,,thicker axle.

5...........As i said before, trials companies need to come up with a trials specific design.

:$

The axles do tend to be stronger, and FSAs seem a bit hit or miss. I've snapped 2 Un-53 or 73 or whatever number they were axles too.

Echo have *kinda* come up with one more suited to trials needs, but it's still just a DH BB meaning you can't run a FFW setup.