Im Going To Keep My Rim Smooth

Egg Fried Rice

hey guys

ive decided with my new rim im going to keep it smooth.

ive heard good things about smooth rims so i've decided to give it a try.

one of the reasons ive decided to do this is because my rim will last longer.

im am going to run CNC reds (advised by kyle from heatsink) and maybe a bit of tar.

has anyone used a smooth rim before? is it good? ever slipped?

thanks very much

JK

JK

Most people did before someone thought about attackign there wheel with an angle grinder.

when clean and dry the brake will be sweet, powerful and possibly have a bit of modualtion depending on pads.

as soon as it gets dirty/wet performance will be compromised, so be prepared to keep it clean.

I always used to use smooth rims and didn't have a problem with a bit of tar. Thing is in the wet they used to go crap, but then that was with standard Magura pads. Give it a go, although with the weather starting to turn grotty you might have to grind the rim.

I can't re-grind mine 'cos some kid smashed into my car and nicked my grinder!!

I've ran smooth rim for ages! It's a good idea. Rim last longer.

Heatsink reds are good on a smooth rim, and light/medium grind. Onza pads are VERY good, But Zoo pads are even better. Just clean your rim every few week. With something..... I used to do a SUPER light grind then sand it off, and that was very good even with zoo pads.

Tar is a good thing in the summer. But when you are riding in the rain/wet, don't bother. It will be off in a mater of minutes!

I can't re-grind mine 'cos some kid smashed into my car and nicked my grinder!!

Buy mine for a tenner + P&P?? :P

I've always used a smooth rim, or a very very dead grind depending on how you look at it.

I just don't ride in the rain, never have never will.

I just lightly tar my rim, but most of the time it dosn't look like it has any on at all. Just make sure you get some decent pads, preferably zoo, and don't go OTT with the tar. Less is more, as the saying goes. ;)

In the dry smooth rims are better, just as slick tyres are better in F1 and the like, because there is more surface contact between the pad and the rim which means more friction and therefore better braking.

As mentioned this is compromised in the wet as with tyres because the water cannot dispurse and the pad rides on top of a film of water, very poor friction, so a grin will help because water can dispurse in the ridges formed when you grind a rim.

That's the science anyway, personally I don't like riding in the wet anyway so I prefer smooth rims with a bit of tar (just a very light touch though) but I'd imagine in comps a grind would be advantageous as yuo never know what you'll come up against!

Davey

I ride smooth rims w/heatsink reds (V's though, not maggy's, so yours might not be as good ;) ).

Fooking great in t' dry, but forget it in the wet. Simple as.

If you only ride in t' dry, a coupla pairs of heatsink reds + a bottle of muc-off is a sound investment that will last you far longer than lots of new rims, an angle grinder, and lots of new pads will.

I've had my first set of reds on since January I think, and they're not showing any signs of wear yet. It still looks like there's the same amount of pad left as there was when they were new.

Muc-off does wonders for smooth rims as well. Smooth rims pick up dust and crap and start to feel poo after a while, but a quick blast with Muc Off brings them back to neighbourhood-waking levels of power.

If you want quiet brakes, this probably isn't a good option ;)

However, reds on a light/dead grind are pretty good for modulation without losing power, and aren't as face-removingly loud.

So probably let your front rim see the grinder from across the room (or even just sand it a bit), but leave the rear smooth. I know that sounds arse about face, but trust me on this one :P

Just my 10p.

EDIT: Oh and forget the tar. Waste of time, effort, and rim. Muc-off instead (Y)

(no I'm not endorsed/sponsored/whatever by them, but it is bloody good stuff)

Edited by Jez

thanks very much

JK

Come on JK i think everyone has, i mean you dont get many new rims already grinded now do we? If you get some half decent pads, im guessing there fine.. Im running on smooth Echo Rims and Koxx Greens, not the best combo but still very strong with a well bled brake :)