Rare "what Part" Topic

Ali C

rare "what part" topic by me.

I want some forks, but a bit more customised than whats available.

I have a few crowns taken from sus forks (fox, manitou). I would like to make some legs to fit, but I am having a hard time finding some. I would like steel as I can easily replair or modify them as they get used, plus I wont have to worry about heat treatment as much as alloy legs.

I am also tempted to ring Leeson and see about some forks. Has anyone used leeson forks? They look a bit flimsy for my liking though. How much can he customise them would you think? I would like maybe fatter diam tubes to aid stiffness. I would also like to ask if I supplied my crown, would he be able to fit some legs (as he can get reynolds steel)?

I would ring now, but I dont have his number, I'll look in the faq in a mo (unless someone wants to post it here), whens best to ring him?

Cheers

Yeh i'd imagine that'd be a Tonne easier.

Can't you get some tubing off iolo? I like the idea of making two dropout's, with the same internal diameter as the crown, then it's just a case of getting some length of tubing and having a few experiment's to see what feels best.

One thing i'd need to think much more about is how you'd achieve the offset found on rigid fork's when using a suspension crown, am I right in saying generally suspension fork's are totally straight from the steerer to the dropouts? I guess it could be achieved using clever design of the dropout's, but the initial scribble in my head wouldn't inspire confidence to actually ride them, probobly too weak....

suspension have rake just like rigid forks. the crown is slightly offset forwards to the steerer, they are not in line

I could ask iolo, but for for a one off like this it might not be practical (min tube length per order is 3 meters I think).

I have some forks with the legs still in, I would like some steel dropouts to fit over those, thats somthing to ask about too

reeto, had a long chat with clive. He thinks his forks are a bit lightweight for serious tapping and hooking, he could get some straigh gauge tubes for it, but he is really lacking time to make forks and its not cost effective for him either.

He is going to see if he has any tubing to suit the crowns I have, but he isnt over keen on the idea, he thinks the crown will break. I am still interested in giving it a try though. I'll give him a ring next week and see if he has found any tubes.

In the end, we decided that getting some pashley forks and customising them would be the best bet. So sell me your good condition pash forks!!

curtis forks are heavy and not very strong

well pace do it with carbon.

if i was doing it i would be tempted to just fit some aluminium tubes in. they could evn be pinned in or welded then into the cnc crown.

also.. not sure if this would work.. but maybe try getting some junior t or 888's or whatever and slide the stancions down into the bottom clamp and then bind into a dropout. not sure how long these stancions are though.

Just out of interest, why?

Can't help thinking that they won't be as strong/light as a pair of tryed and tested forks already available.

what about finding an old frame and butchering it for the tubing if you can find the diameter you'll need?

didnt Fatmike run sus-fork crown and legs with dropouts bonded over the end ?

ask him - i seem to remember they didnt last long (whoevers they were)

Yeah, they were sweet, old Rock Shox Psylo's, nice untill the disk mounts snapped at the bikeshow, causing major faceplant-age!

However Ali C actually made those. :P

Have you though of giving Marzocchi a call and asking if they have any replacement stanchions for JrTs, There 32mm aluminium (would fit a fox crown as they use 32mm stanchions too) and would be plenty long enough as there from dual crown forks. Also they'd be pretty tough coming from a DH fork.

Another option if you were worried about the strength of the crown would be to call up Marzocchi again and see if they have a replacement crowns for DJ3s, as the newer ones use a bolt on crown, and again fit the JrT stanchions in them.

As for dropouts, what about the bottom of the lower legs off an old set of Z1s (the 30mm stanchion ones), milled out to a perfect fit.

some stantions would be cool, they seem pretty tough, but they are very exspensive! Theres some rst stanions off chainreaction are really cheap (under a 10er I think) but I dont know what diamiter they are.

I want some steel legs or dropouts as I want a +20 disk mount so I dont have to use the heavy weak adaptor that comes with avid brakes, so that rules out some standard fork dropouts.

I am still probably going to go with some pashleys, I am tempted to try and lighten my handsom dog superstrong forks, they are as tough as brick houses, but about 200g overweight, I recken I could get that weight off.

I have also emailed some frame building companies to see if they can sourse me some tubes.

The RST stanchions will be 28.2 or something around that I'd have though, under 30mm anyway.

Stanchions arent that expensive, replacement zocchi ones used to be £30 on CRC when they still sold them. A lot for a couple of tubes, but they would be perfect.

Even with a +20mm mount wont you still need an adapter with an avid?