Anyone Rock Climb?

Willy

It would be so much simpler if Calshot was closer to us, its a 60 mile round trip to go there! But there are 3 of us planning to car share whenever we go so its not too bad.

I was amazed with Calshot! There is a cycle velodrome, climbing walls and a dry ski slope all inside a big hanger! You can also do loads of water sports outside because the hanger is located on a spit which means an area of sheltered water. Within the next couple of months they are adding loads of new climbing wall so its not like I am gonna be limited for a very long time!

A trials riders meet up would be amusing...

boulding is way more fun in my opinion. more challenging, BUT, i want to learn leading and then go from there.

its all such good exercise. i prefer to use features only on the walls but sometimes thats nigh on impossible.

doing 6's more often now, its great banter though :)

Calshot is great. I don't really 'do' climbing, it's something I have done, but I can do the knots harnesses and stuff, from scouts ages ago.

When I went to Calshot, we got to Abseil from the big red wall in between the veodrome and the ski slope. It is pretty high, I'd love to see someone climb it, just because of the crazy overhang.

• 6 months later...

BUMP

How is everyone getting on?

I have not been to the wall for a few months now, mainly cos I haven't been in the country (Been in Australia for 2 months) but also due to not having reliable climbing partners for one reason or another.

Anyone in the South wanting to start going to Calshot regularly, say once every week?

Have been learning more and more recently. Unfortunately dont get to go as much as I'd like as I still cant drive. Just fount out a mate from work and his sister go alot and hes invited me to come out with them. Will definately take them up on that!

But yeha anyway onto what I've been doing; been bouldering and generally climbing faces in Snowdonia, climbed up in the peak district and down in Portland. Am hoping to get stronger though as I do it more as I'm still a pussy when it comes to lots of arm work.

Willis.

Im wantin to get back into it again, i think for me it will be a winter sport rather than a summer one. i was in oz for a couple o weeks and stuff, and with work and final year of uni, it just got plain shiz.

However, im going to start again soon, mainly bouldering, there is a new wall in aberdeen, tis massive, with an amazing bouldering bitty

will see.

BUMP

How is everyone getting on?

I have not been to the wall for a few months now, mainly cos I haven't been in the country (Been in Australia for 2 months) but also due to not having reliable climbing partners for one reason or another.

Anyone in the South wanting to start going to Calshot regularly, say once every week?

would love to tic, but i cant get there, unless you fancy picking my up on the way through...

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the Calshot wall tonight and had an awesome time!

Through the ukclimbing forums I have guy that lives real close to me and was in need of a partner too. He has been climbing outdoors and indoors for a few years now which is helpful for me learning and also meant that I did my first ever lead climb tonight! It was only a grade 5 but leading made it much more interesting! I think I will need a few falls from above the protection before I am happy about leading though.

It looks like I will be climbing regularly now :D

Ive been climbing with a buddy now for about 4-5 months were about 6c+ / 7a. Going peaks on Monday!! :D and check out the 'boulderbus' its £70 and goes from London to FontaineBleau in France for £70 weekend.

Iv climbed with a few of my mates for about 8 months, we're on our way to leading some ace routes. In fact im off to Castle Rock on monday for a few hours climbing with my step dad :D However, ice climbing is amazing too :rolleyes:

Cheers, Dom

Edited by Domo131

• 3 weeks later...

I finally climbed on real rock today :D

Went down to Portland and spent the day climbing the many bolted sports routes on offer.

My first climb of the day was a basic 4+ lead climb which was fun. I just stuck to top roping the rest of the day though. The highlight of the day was a nice 6a running 30m up an arete with amazing views out to sea!

Hopefully heading to the Calshot wall a couple of times this week :)

I dabble in a bit of climbing every once in a while. Mainly climbed in the peaks at stanage, and burbage. Also been to horseshoe quarry for some sport. I prefer bouldering though as i'm scared of heights. Been to Fontainbleau two years running, tis an absolutely awesome place, routes for all abilities so whether your a complete novice, or a beast you can all climb together. Also done a little climbing in malta, which has very different rock and is really good for deep water soloing. Managed to miss out climbing this summer due to a dodgy ankle.

I have a destinct dislike to indoor climbing, have been about 4 times, would rather do nothing than climb indoors!

We'll have to go climb sometime Mr Haydon.

I've still kept up with the climbing, thuogh shockingly I've been out on the bike once or twice recelty meaning I havent got out to as much real rock as I'd like.

Lead f. 6b at a crag near Llangollen over the weekend which I was pleased with, as I've neglected leading for a while and have been spending all my time bouldering. Wanna be leading f. 7a outdoors by start of next summer.

That would be awesome Steve. Before the end of the summer we could make a weekend of it? Will catch you on MSN :)

Leading still scares the shit out of me, I really do need to have a fall from above the equipment in the safety of an indoor wall.

We took a few pictures yesterday so if they are any good I will post them.

• 1 month later...

I went bouldering today for the first time in ages, i enjoyed it so much i've decided I want to get back into climbing as soon as possible.

I used to do it quite often when I was about 8-10 but things have moved on and i have no idea about what gear to get.

I need harness, shoes and chalk bag and i'd like to get it online so can anyone recommend me some decent sites to get this from?

You really have to try shoes and stuff on, so online isn't the best option. I've bought all my stuff from Cotswolds - they have sales really often in the ones near me but if you can't catch a sale then they're not that cheap...

As for online shops I don't really know, sorry!

You really have to try shoes and stuff on, so online isn't the best option. I've bought all my stuff from Cotswolds - they have sales really often in the ones near me but if you can't catch a sale then they're not that cheap...

As for online shops I don't really know, sorry!

I'd imagine ebay would be best for chalk and a bag, it's not like you need them to fit or anything.

You could get harness etc there too but that might be something you'd wan to try on first to make sure it doesnt go up any cracks.

definately try shoes on before buying, I managed to get a cheapo pair in blacks in dundee for £15, end of season sale and they only had a few sizes left.....

i'v rganised to go for a climb in dundee on sunday and can't wait. since i've got here i havnt been yet :(

yeah I knew I'd have to try stuff on but the nearest place for me is Tiso and there not exactly cheap so i figured if i went there and found which gear I liked I could order them online and get them cheaper.

ahwell doesn't matter i guess i'll just try and get a deal in the shop or something

I used to climb at creation...i havent been for a while. Managed to climb a 7a once...well i say climbed but i only got half way up :D

Bouldering's my speciality, trials biking really helps me as it means you have nice strong arms and legs.

Hopefully i should be going again soon, most likely on a thursday so if anyone climbs on thursdays tell me and i'll come belay or something for you :)

Rich xxx

• 1 year later...

massive bump

Just starting to get into climbing (bouldering mostly) and wondering if anyone knows anywhere near staffordshire, I live near manchester but looking for somewhere closer to uni. And tomm if you still climbing me and lee will have to meet up with you sometime in manc.

All the info you need should be on http://www.ukclimbing.com/

I still climb once or twice a week indoors and am confident leading 6b's. Been outdoors climbing sports routes a few times this year, I need to get outside more often! Its not easy being a climber and living in Salisbury, the nearest indoor wall is 30 miles away and the nearest crag is nearly 40 miles away...