Ok Car People, Ponder This One.....

BONGO

Had one overtake me on the way to work a few weeks ago, could plainly hear a turbo whistling away.

You speak no word of a lie, just found it on MSN cars section, the engine is an updraded version of the 2litre turbo sport. So yeah, it's turbo'd!

Davey

I can only think of one production engine that properlly achieves this and its Japanese and in a two seater. The S2000 developes 240bhp from a 2.0ltr engine, and I THINK thats the highest output from any production 2.0ltr engine.

Because power is (basically) torque x rpm, and na engines are notoriously low on torque compared to a turbo'd engine, you need a larger capacity to gain extra torque to create more power (like 5.0 litres in a V10) or the rev band needs to be collossal.

So... In this little hunt the engine needs to be one that revs a huge amount (the S2000 revs to 9k rpm, only developing all its power right at the red line) to gain all that power from such a small capacity unaided, and only the Japanese really exploit that, european engines not being over-engineered enough to rev that high without breaking...

The mk3 RS Clio does get bloody close though! Give or take a few bhp dependant on the bedding in process, most could be making 10% more (but some less) than the quoted 197bhp

The mk3 RS Clio does get bloody close though! Give or take a few bhp dependant on the bedding in process, most could be making 10% more (but some less) than the quoted 197bhp

10% more? thats another 20bhp andy...... very unlikely theres that much variation in engines!

also, the fact that they call it the 197 would suggest to me that many wont hit that figure...... as surely if there were much varitaion it would sound better calling it the 200 if any made 200bhp?

also, arnt the french cars measured in PS? meaning its 197PS< which is a little less in bhp>? i could be wrong on that one, just a thought

I can only think of one production engine that properlly achieves this and its Japanese and in a two seater. The S2000 developes 240bhp from a 2.0ltr engine, and I THINK thats the highest output from any production 2.0ltr engine.

the b16a2 engine also does this easily, making 165bhp from a 1600cc Vtec motor

10% more? thats another 20bhp andy...... very unlikely theres that much variation in engines!

also, the fact that they call it the 197 would suggest to me that many wont hit that figure...... as surely if there were much varitaion it would sound better calling it the 200 if any made 200bhp?

also, arnt the french cars measured in PS? meaning its 197PS< which is a little less in bhp>? i could be wrong on that one, just a thought

b16b makes more, circa 180bhp from 1598cc.

To be fair, there are numerous Honda engines that fit the bill (F20c, K20a, b16a2, b18c, the list goes on). The downside to this is that they are already highly tuned in n/a form, so you can't get as much out of them for "reasonable" money as you can some other popular n/a engines.

Its 197bhp cos its 200ps, like the Astra VXR is 237bhp or 240ps... I think :shifty:

Engines can vary by as much as ten percent... maybe its just five percent either way, but there is definately a ten percent margin in it. The max power an engine will output through bedding in is only usually seen at about 60k miles when the engine is fully bed in and the ecu re-maps to take this into consideration (on reasonably modern cars anyway)

But there is definately variation, some peeps with 182's are only pushing 160ish bhp where as some 172's are closer to 180bhp... all standard

It definately seems like high power cams are the most efficient way of getting power out of an na engine, but seeing as turbo's are cheaper, theres not a lot of use for them any more. Its a shame cos a car coming on cam always sounds soooo good compared to a dull turbo whine...

• 2 weeks later...
I think Mazdas Korean isnt it?

And aren't the new golf GTIs turbo'd? Please don't slap me if that's stupid of me.

Edit: I think that NSU does it if Wankel rotorys count as N/A.

it depends which golf it is. There is a 1.8 turbo and standard 1.6 and 2.0 versions.

you take that back :( i love the noise of my turbo: 'weeeeeeeeee', dip clutch change gear 'pssssssss', let off the clutch again and accelerate 'weeeeeee'-makes me grin anyway

1) A supercharger sounds better

2) A V6 at high revs sounds better still

3) A V8 is the greatest sound on this planet

4) A supercharged V8 is just............................................................................

Edit: DAMNIT! I forgot a highly tuned A-series engine with split webbers on a straight cut dog box! Nothing quite like the sound of that hurtling around country roads!

Edited by MadChikken