Progression Of Trials

JT!

If you haven't been asked by a 12 year old chav to do a backflip, your not paying enough attention to your surroundings.

Anyway, will backflips and frontflips ever be a part of trials in the future?

We all know that people like Bongo and that fella who rides an Ashton can easily pull backflips, and there's that Danny chap who manages to pull of a front flip with the aid of a tree root (wtf?), so these moves aren't exactly unheard of on a trials bike, but aren’t exactly true trials moves. It's easy to see that trials is progressing like every other sport does, what with bikes getting better bikes and higher standards of riders etc. So are frontflips and backflips sans ramps possible?

Frontflips would rely heavily on the front brake, and a lot of speed. If you look at someone at the peak on an endo, and then look at someone landing a gap with the rear wheel really stretched out in front of them, the rotation though the air would be just over 180 degrees, no where near 360 like would be first thought. When you brake it down like that, it would actually seem possible for frontflip drops, and maybe even frontflip drop gaps. Weather it would be possible to do frontflips level gaps (no drop) would be up for discussion.

Backflips, again, wouldn't be a full 360 degree air rotation. Same as before, looking at someone on the back wheel, then to flip and land on two wheels, would be less than 270 degrees, with some kind of drop, it’s seemingly possible. Less the rotation if the landing was more on the front wheel.

I think it's fair to say eventually these moves will be pulled off, the real question is when? How long do we think it'll be before the majority of the top riders are doing these moves regularly? What kind of riders would be the pioneers of this kind of riding?

Just a thought. :)

erm, in true trials, well never see backflips etc, as its not what the sports about, but what we will most likely see is the more streety people(as in street riders who mix stuff up between bmx and trials, not people who are scared of riding natural) taking tricks as they do now from bmx'in. and bmx is gettin more extreme by the day, and on the same note, so is street trials, so most likely, yes.

as for a time scale, i wouldnt like to say.to me it seems a good couple of years off yet.using natural progression as a guideline. but.....no doubt some unknown rider will come along, and throw all that natural progression out of the window, and show us how to do it, then others just copy the technique, and itll be a trick that will be common in pro rider vids.

as in if someone had told me people could backflip motorbikes when i was 10, id say never, then once it was done, id of said, theyd never reach a double back flip on a motorbike, but i been proved wrong. and as for progressin bigger. youve only gotta watch 5 year old videos, to see how now loads of riders on here, can match the pros of yesteryear. when it comes to sidehops, backwheels etc. its just come on so far.

erm, in true trials, well never see backflips etc, as its not what the sports about, but what we will most likely see is the more streety people(as in street riders who mix stuff up between bmx and trials, not people who are scared of riding natural) taking tricks as they do now from bmx'in. and bmx is gettin more extreme by the day, and on the same note, so is street trials, so most likely, yes.

In 'true trials' we'll never see peope wheel swapping on a rail. But it's quite common now.

It's probably will be the more street oriented riders who will be the first to do it, but not like the vid below shows...

Anyway... here's a video of a guy doing a frontflip with almost no run up. I'd say it's just a matter of how fast you rotate your body/bike ;)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GcfNV6_XR7U

When i imagin a front flip done on a trials bike, i imagin the font brake being used, and using that momentum to turn it into a flip. I don't expect anything like that vid.

really what we do isnt made for flipping!!

Nither were motorbikes. But now it's common.

i could possibly see it happening, but in the street arena it may be quite difficult to find the perfect spot. i'm thinking along the lines of bmx here but there are lots of moves (mainly in parks) where riders back flip to tyre tap/manual/ice pick stalls that kinda thing could come into trials, eg flip out of a banking to wall then gap, something like that.

martyn ashton can backflip quite handily now perhaps he is trying this somewhere around porthcawl? would be amazing to see

that bmx front flip bomb drop is insane, guy has some serious melons to attempt that!

there is a foam pit at my local skatepark (interact) im always tempted to have a go at a flip, but i think i would prob bottle out and hurt myself

If you haven't been asked by a 12 year old chav to do a backflip, your not paying enough attention to your surroundings.

Ha! where do you live, where i'm from they ask if i can do wheelies or an endo!? Besides what's the point in doing flips when you can do spins, look cooler, more pratical and alot simpler to learn.

Trials will become lame when it's all about ragging of walls and trying front or back flips. Might as well buy a bmx and go to a skate park!!!

Personally I don't like to see any flips in the future of trials. All these huge CLS drop gap stuff pisses me off already. I prefer a more technical riding, rather than insane, powerful drop gaps, flips or any kind of moves where it's mainly about raw power and crazyness. But that's just my personal opinion.

Beside that, flips and trials doesn't really fit together. When done by bmx riders, it's ok as their sport is more fluently and involves more riding, rather than balancing and static moves. Flips on a trials bike would look pretty dumb then...

Edited by Chris

i'm thinking along the lines of bmx here

That's what a lot of people seem to be thinking, i'm talking about frontflips and backflips that would only be able to be done on a trials bike. Frontflips using the front brake, and backflips from the back wheel. Nothing like what you would see on a bmx.

i could see turning a backhop into a backflip as being possible (take a lot of f**king balls, and prety big drop to get most of the rotation) but the amount of stress you would put on forks landing at a sharp angle from a big drop would be prety crazy.

i could see turning a backhop into a backflip as being possible (take a lot of f**king balls, and prety big drop to get most of the rotation) but the amount of stress you would put on forks landing at a sharp angle from a big drop would be prety crazy.

It'd be easier doing a frontflip off a drop, simply because you could just do it like that guy does up there. You're naturally moving away from the obstacle, and you're also naturally spinning the right way. With a backflip, you'd have to sorta kick out and try and spin the other way - pretty tech.

The problem with trials is that a lot of people already have a pretty awkward style of riding (it seems pretty inherent with trials...), and when you add the gash-lookingness of flips of either kind, you're asking for more "image" trouble. Front-flips look fully shit on BMX unless they're boosted over pretty decent jumps (definitely not the gay MTB way of locking up your front brake and just throwing yourself forwards - this isn't BMX in the 1980s ;)), and backflips aren't that nice either, so I wouldn't really like to see them go into trials purely on the grounds they look properly wank. There are many other ways trials could progress in a better direction...

• 2 weeks later...