The Legends

Dave Lowe

It got me thinking the other day that so many of the people that helped to make trials what it is to day are slowly being forgotten, I would think a lot of the new riders starting this year have never heard of some of the people that have inspired riders over the years.

For example Hans Ray, Eddy & Mat Tongue Jason Finn (for those that know how much I like my front wheel tricks, he was the one that inspired me) and that’s just to mention a few, does anyone remember other trials legends? Does anyone know what there doing now?

By the way I have already checked out the above in the web.

who?..... im joking erm to be honest i dont know and thats a very good question all i know is that hans brought out a new maxxis tire and aint he done a new video im not sure though but the others havnt heard anything about them for ages

Hans rey still rides, but not trials really. i think he rides more singletrack and trails, hes in the latest mbuk doing some crazy trip with steve peat.

Im pretty sure eddy tongue is riding bmx these days, not too sure about matt.

What about Scott Dommet, Fletcher Gillet, Libor Caras and Jez Avery

Fletcher Gillet went back to studying theology or somesuch. Libor Karas was last seen making a killing on the markets on Wall Street, and Jez Avery is still doing stunt shows around the place being, as he is, 'The UK's number 1 Mountain Bike Stunt Performer'.

Jez was in Singletrack magazine about six months back, trying to teach one of the writers 'trials' skills. Reading it, he was doing the same stuff he was doing 15 years ago...

What about Scott Dommet, Fletcher Gillet, Libor Caras and Jez Avery

yea pretty sure fletcher gillet went back to his religious studies and work as f stop said.

hust watched totally wild on VHS now. proper old school, lycra, elevated chain stays. 3 ring chainsets, seat, bullbars. no one would of heard of taps, backwheeling objects, sidehops were measured in sideways distance, not height, hooks wer things u hung your bike on in the workshop

How about Ot Pi and Cesar Canas (if thats how you spell his name) both big names from spain round 1996, found one thing on Ot Pi doing so crazzy thing going up steps at a hotel in Barcelona, came in the 1996 BIU World Records, 747 Steps (44 floors) in 18 min. 25sec. Without putting any foot on the floor.

Also found this quote and if its true we got alot to owe this bloke, "Ot Pi is a Spanish bike-trials rider, often regarded as the man responsible for the discipline's origin".

How about Ot Pi and Cesar Canas (if thats how you spell his name) both big names from spain round 1996, found one thing on Ot Pi doing so crazzy thing going up steps at a hotel in Barcelona, came in the 1996 BIU World Records, 747 Steps (44 floors) in 18 min. 25sec. Without putting any foot on the floor.

Also found this quote and if its true we got alot to owe this bloke, "Ot Pi is a Spanish bike-trials rider, often regarded as the man responsible for the discipline's origin".

Well they havent really gone anywhere.

Ot is now the big boss of monty, and cesar is now their 26"rider/demo rider/development rider.

Yepp, it was ot and pedro(his dad) who invented biketrials (Y)

Scott