Part Perfomace Vs Part Aesthetics

eskimo

Basically i wondered how many people buy certain parts because they look appealing even though they under perform compared to another make/type.

For example i'm currently running Maxxis CCs but the rear one is just too fat. I don't like the look of it and would much rather run a Monty or Echo one. The Monty white stripe one all the way even though it would under perform. I didn't realise how big they were when i first started so i bought them. The front is alright though.

Same applies to certain makes. Did you buy a CK/Pro2 hub for the noise/apearance or name?

I know alot of bmxers only buy Profile parts because it's Profile or because of the noise the cassette makes.

Are you all the gear no idea? :lol:

I'm trying to avoid the Weight vs Strength thing by the way. More of the cool vs price thing.

Anyhow what have you bought?

With BMX, you can kinda be choosy about looks (to some extent) because most products will last a decent length of time. With trials, however, I wouldn't ever compromise on strength for looks. If you go for a certain type of fork, crank, bar or whatever that you think looks nicer even though you know it's weaker, you probably deserve what you'll get as a result of running an inferior product...

middleburn for example?

I don't understand?

Aren't middleburn cranks really good though?

I know Tensiles break but people still buy them over all the others.

And as for the Deng cranks, seesh, they're all the same 95% anyway. Echo being the cheapest but people still buy the Adamant ones to match there new A3 or whatever.

You could call me all the gear no idea, my biek is very coordinated and pimp but i dont think i actually sacrificed any performance for it. I did pay extra than i may otherwise have done though, it was insurance money. Ck headset instead of a budget one, braided hoses ect.

I buy parts for the performance, I know that i have gold bits on my bike, but thats just because they are the same price as the normal parts plainly coloured. But I would never pay any extra just for the colour on a product, Because I just dont think its worth it. At end of the day you use it for a year and it get scrached then it's silver.

Matt Rushton

Edit: I was just thinking alot of people will do this, people could buy a DX-32 or a Try all. Even though a DX-32 is alot stronger and better people will buy Try-all because or the name/ looks.

Edited by matt rushton

Bad example, DX32 are much more narrow than Try-All rims, so a Try-All rim will be more practical in trials. It would however be silly if a freeride/street rider bought Try-All rims.

Personally I'd never buy a part just for it's looks if it was of poor quality but if there are a few equally reliable parts with different looks, I'll choose the one that's more pimp. It's probably to do with spending your money better - not only do you get a good part, you also get something that's great in terms of looks at no extra charge.

Edited by Inur

Bad example, DX32 are much more narrow than Try-All rims, so a Try-All rim will be more practical in trials. It would however be silly if a freeride/street rider bought Try-All rims.

Personally I'd never buy a part just for it's looks if it was of poor quality but if there are a few equally reliable parts with different looks, I'll choose the one that's more pimp. It's probably to do with spending your money better - not only do you get a good part, you also get something that's great in terms of looks at no extra charge.

Yeah I suppose, what about the Onza Ronnie rims, you can get them drilled and undrilled. (I know some people are going to argue about weight on this but to be honist you can tell the weight difference when riding the bike). So some people will get the ronnie drilled just so they look better.

Matt Rushton

the thing with trials componants is performance is hugely important ( more than any other discipline of biking) parts have to be strong light and the right geometry. my bike is built for performance, i admit i like it to look nice but if one part looked better than another but was less effcient then id go for the better product. personally im not keen on all the coloured stuff on bikes anyway ( my bikes componants are all silver or black ). I also wouldnt buy something for the brand name like if a chris king hub was the best hub for trials (imo) then i wouldnt use it as they are drastically expensive. I personally think avid discs look rubbish but i still use one until they bring out a better hydro one.

With trials i try to always take the perfomance over the looks, but still have the looks to fit in with what i want (it makes it easier when i have a black and silver bike :P ). So performance generally comes first.

But with BMXing, i do still look for the the perfomance first, but i take more time looking at the aesthetics than i do with trials parts, mainly because there is so much on the market, and the majority of it is of a good quality, so it gives me a wider option of creating my own style with colours and stuff.

i think everyone likes there bike to look good, it makes you feel good about your bike , and i personaly prefer riding a rad looking bike, so im in a better mood when riding as a result i ride better, its like with cars any car can get you to a to b, but why do we choose the car we like the look of, alot of riding is mental so if something can put you in a better state of mind when riding its making a big difference in the performance of the most important component on the bike, the rider.

i think everyone likes there bike to look good, it makes you feel good about your bike , and i personaly prefer riding a rad looking bike, so im in a better mood when riding as a result i ride better, its like with cars any car can get you to a to b, but why do we choose the car we like the look of, alot of riding is mental so if something can put you in a better state of mind when riding its making a big difference in the performance of the most important component on the bike, the rider.

You have a point. Riding a bike that your bored of isn't as good. Like when you get a new part it just feels soo much cooler. Like grip stops, they got me stoked.